·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I talked to shaw when I upgraded to warp, they are currently testing 1 GB,

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I talked to shaw when I upgraded to warp, they are currently testing 1 GB,
... but you know Canadian providers will slap the cap on FAST.

I'm so glad my ISP doesn't have/enforce their caps... yet. I'd take slower speed for no ceiling, to be honest.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use up your monthly bandwidth allowance in less than 15 minutes. Wheee! :D
HA!

IDK if they have Caps in the UK, they don't in the US, yet. Personally, IDK why you'd need net THAT fast. As for Shaw, that's interesting, if true.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
That's not true, many ISP's in the US have caps, they are just A LOT more reasonable then in Canada. For example I have friends that have caps on Comcast. I believe they are at least 250GB+ a month though.

Here the ISP's design their packages to maximize the amount of people that will go over and scare them into purchasing "assurance" policies (aka extra bandwidth). And the best part is, many people fall for it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
... but you know Canadian providers will slap the cap on FAST.

I'm so glad my ISP doesn't have/enforce their caps... yet. I'd take slower speed for no ceiling, to be honest.
I've never had my cap enforced,
I often double my cap, shaw is pretty lenient

·
Registered
234 Posts
How much does bandwidth cost for ISPs these days? Pennies on the dollar? Whatever, it isn't much and these caps have turned into cash cows for them. No way they ever do away with them. I'm sure if they thought of it back then, they would have put caps on dial-up services.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
No reason why FibreOP couldn't eventually deliver those types of speeds.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Full 1 Gbps likely not possible with home gear yet

1Gbps bandwidth would only be good if your home devices could actually use it. Don't mistake a Gigabit ethernet device for one capable of through-putting 1Gbps (the ethernet 1000TX/SX spec limits it to between 60-80% of that at the best of times).

So, until the new crop of 10Gbps ethernet devices hit the market and you upgrade all your NICs, routers, etc. you need to calculate whether 600-800Mbps is even possible with your home gear, let alone whether it is worth the money for such a plan. A true networking geek would bond two Gigabit ethernet devices to use up such a connection's full speed potential. ;)

Is it worth it today? Maybe so, most likely not. In the future? Sign me up!!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts