Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure which one has been in development longer: GT5 or Avatar :p

But for those like me who are impatiently waiting for its release, a small GT5 demo being released later this week, which I'm assuming will be our best look to date of the driving physics and general 'feel' of GT5.

There's a contest being launched along with this demo, but seeing as my video game driving skills are pretty average, my chances of winning is pretty close to zero. I'm sure some of you more experienced gamers will give it a shot, though!

You can find out more about it here

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Very cool, I have been anticipating this for like forever now it seems. Now if I could just convince myself that I need to spend a couple hundred bucks on a driving wheel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its an even better game with the wheel. Feels incredibly realistic, even though there was no damage in the previous GT games. FWIW I'm still using the Logitech Driving Force Pro :cool:

Really looking forward to the demo, but I, like the OP, don't think I stand a chance at the podium...but it should be a blast trying!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I wonder if it will stand up to Forza3? That's pretty tough competition....

This is an important release for PS3....this game is a franchise title and has been in development for SO long.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the online rankings have confirmed that I'm really not that good: a time of 1'45.2" using the racing version of the car has got me ranked around the 3600's (haven't tried the stock model yet). I can see areas where I can improve, and with a some practice, I can perhaps see myself getting close to 1'40".

But beating the current best time of 1'36"? Pretty safe to say it's out of my reach.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
just downloaded last night, haven't played yet, I've been a huge fan of the GT series since the begining,
I've since migrated to Forza, Forza 3 is really good, but more just a smoothed out version of Forza 2, with more cars and tracks
hopefully GT5 is worth all this hype and development time

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
not impressed at all, I'd put this demo of GT5 in a similar class as NFS Shift, not a true simulator by any means, the graphics are almost arcade like compared to Forza 3,
the driving physics are less than impressive considering the GT series in the past was 1 of the best, this game feels and looks like it could be played on PS2

IMO considering the hype behind this game and the years and years we've been waiting, this is a huge let down, have to see what the full game its like, also sony better have something up its sleeve to compete with Forzas auction house and now store front

I will say I love the user interface, going through the different menus and what not

I scored 3000 and something online ranking 3rd lap out, I could for sure get the times down a lot,
I'm a top 1000 driver on Forza, for sure in the top 3% of all races I make a legit pull at with a car good for the track,

after playing this demo I'll be renting before I buy

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not a fan of this either, I really can't stand the handling characteristics/controls in the game. This was something I always had an issue with the GT series; I find Forza to be far more entertaining and easier to get into. Hopefully the time trial demo is not what the final will be like.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The demo is very similar to GTR 1 in terms of getting the low speed tire modeling completely wrong. Real tires have a lot more grip than that in low speed corners. I felt like in was driving on ice and the rear end would try to swap sides without any throttle application whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was not pleased with the traction at all,

plus the steering was way over responsive,
I put 1 corner in the dirt exiting a turn and the car spun out like it was on ice,

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rarely used 'professional' driving physics with either GT5 prologue or previous versions of the game, so I attributed the behaviour of the tire traction to having to adjust for the difference.

I could barely keep the car on the track the first few times through - not too impressed with the demo, to be honest.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I thought the tire physics were ridiculous, personally. I was trying to be a conservative as possible (using a Logitech racing wheel), but the game was pretty much unplayable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts