Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rogers PVR 8300HD that is flickering terribly. Once rebooted, its ok. But it happens frequently - twice tonight already ! I checked the signal strength - got -3dBmV and a signal-to-noise ratio of 36db. I don't know what else to check. I have swapped the HDMI cable that goes from the PVR to the Hamaha AV. Your help is appreciated.

My apologies if I have this post in the wrong group.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
I assume you're going through the Yamaha AVR with two HDMI cables. What's the make, model, length and gauge of these two cables. Have you tried connecting directly from the PVR to the TV? What output setting are you using on the PVR - say 1080i Fixed? I suspect one or the other or the combination of the two cables is causing the issue.

I moved your post to the appropriate forum.

Here's the HDMI Issues FAQ, with a list of things to check at the bottom:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks "57". Yes, I am going through the AVR, bot with only one HDMI cable.
I have the Rogers box connected to the AVR on one channel and the DVD to another channel. I have had this setting for more than 2 years without problems. Last night, I read a thread on the forum regarding a new firmware that is causing a few problems. Looks like my PVR was updated too, I just was not aware before. I decided to do a cold reboot and tonight have not seen any flickering. I have my fingers crossed. I have the Picture format set at Auto DVI/HDMI - can't fine the setting for 1080i with this new firmware. My HDMI cable was a 12 ft generic cable sold by Costco - been using it for 2 years +. Should this be changed perhaps ?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also experiencing the flickering, annoying! This only started after the recent firmware update and in fact NEVER happened in the 2 years I've had this 8300+ PVR.

A reboot fixes the problem so it is obviously not a cable issue.

Any luck with a permanent fix?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Um, you must have an HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV no? That's your second HDMI cable. If you've got say two 12' cables, or one 6' and one 12', that could be too much length if the cables are not very good. No need to replace if it's working now.

Here's the FAQ on SA Setup. Also read post 1 of the new firmware thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131572
Thanks, so far its doing ok. However, I might consider replacing the 12 ft cable - it has always bothered me to have so much coil at the back of the TV.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flikering and another unrelated (??) problem.

The flikering started again tonight. This time, I replaced the HDMI cables from the Rogers Box to the AVR and the one from the AVR to the TV. This time length of the cables are - PVR to AVR - 3ft and the AVR to TV - 6ft. I rebooted the PVR .. I noticed that my input channels on the TV was not working. Audio was on, but no video. I've had the PVR on the TV Channel 7 and the DVD on Channel 6 for the last two years. Both are now on Channel 6. I had to scroll through the channels to find the correct input channels. I have reviewed the TV and AVR manual but cannot remember if there is an Option to allocate the TV Input Channels.

The current setting makes more sense to me since only one HDMI Cable connects the AVR and DVD to the TV. But I had them on separate channels before !. Its been a while since I bought the Yamaha AVR (HTR-6190), so I am not sure what I did initially.

How is the Channel on the TV allocated (or selected) ?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Please stop calling TV inputs "channels". They are inputs. Make sure the TV is on the correct input - the number is usually on the back of the TV next to the input you used. On my Sony, I select the input via the TV remote's input button. ;) It may take a few seconds for the image to appear after you select an input.

If that doesn't do it, make sure your connections are good. Use the old cables as a test. Try connecting directly to the TV as a test instead of through the AVR. I assume the audio you mentioned was from the AVR, not the TV.

Here's a list of HDMI issues and a list of things to check at the bottom.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've started to get a sort of studdering, flickering, shifting lately on my 8300 PVR. I'm in Ottawa and only recently received the latest firmware before XMAS.

Most of the time it seems to be after I've gone from Standard Def to HD channels.

I've tried all the different "upconvert", HDMI auto options etc but no change. I unplug the Rogers box, and plug it back in and it works again for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ever since the firmware upgrade, I too have experienced the picture flikering kind of like a bouncing up and down of the picture. Nothing has changed on my setup, and everything was working fine before. I have called Rogers multiple times, and they have told me that I am the only one experiencing this problem, no one else has reported it. Of course they blamed me and said there was a problem with my PVR, and since I own it and there is no warranty period left, it's my problem. A hard reboot solves the problem for a day or two, but then the problem comes back.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jumpy image

I seem to be having the same issue. The whole image is jumping sporadically from side to side. It's especially noticeable when viewing the guide or lists and when pausing. Turning off the STB, unplugging the cables, changing picture formats & switching TV inputs back & forth did not help. It only happens when I am using HMDI which is direct to the TV. No HDMI on my AVR and Componant from it is fine.
Well I fixed it yesterday with a reboot but it just came back again.
Sad part is that since the firmware everytime my set top is rebooted all or most of my scheduled recordings get deleted.
I have sent Rogers an email.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Answer from Rogers

Carol from Rogers responded;
"I am sorry to hear about these difficulties.
It sounds like your Digital Box might be defective. I would suggest exchanging the Digital Box .
You can do so by unplugging the Digital Box and bringing it to any Rogers Plus store, and they can exchange it at no cost to you (providing this is a rental unit).
Thank you for choosing Rogers.
If you wish to continue corresponding via email, please contact us at: "

Here is my response,
Carol,
Thank you for the quick response. Regarding your suggestion that I exchange the Digital Box (PVR), I would like to mention that I just find it strange that these issues only occured for myself and others after the firmware update as I noted. Is it possible that my firmware update was incomplete or corrupted? Can you please find out if Rogers can first try to resend the firmware, refresh the box or something like that?
If not, I may return the PVR to see if it is indeed defective. Would there be any issue if I asked the Rogers Plus store to hold on to my current PVR for a few days until I can determine that the new PVR does indeed fix the problems? The reason I ask is that I have recordings on a 1TB external hard drive that remained intact after the firmware update and I would rather like to keep and watch them at my liesure. I am sure that you are aware they my current recordings will not play on the new PVR
Thank You,

I am curious to see what the reply will be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are having this problem, you need to report it to tech support and have them open a ticket and get a confirmation number. Rogers keeps telling me that I am the only one reporting the problem, and they have never heard of such an issue. Your box is not defective and its not a problem with your set up, as there are too many people having this same problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having this same very annoyng flickering issue. Mine flickers transparent pink and then momentarily goes black. I see the display on the Yamaha 6260 also going from "dolby digital" to "decoder off".

I have tried swapping the HDMI cables with no effect. so I know it's not the cables. In the past, it used to do it very rarely, but always needed a reboot to get out of the flickering cycle where it would flicker every 10 seconds or so until I unplugged the power to the PVR.

Now it seems that it does it more frequently, and seems like it's triggered when I change the channels. I know it's not the Yamaha receiver as I can watch blue ray DVDs without any flickering. It must be the PVR / signal - should I swap it with a new one? (I rent it).

Never happened until I "upgraded" from the 8300HD.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Similar issue here - also Ottawa. The symptom I have is that on playback of a program the picture and sound will disappear for a second and then return only to disappear again for a second after an unpredictable time. This evening the drop-out (heaven help me if 57 doesn't like my terminology!) occurred almost predictably a second off and two seconds on. Other times the playback would be present for anything from 2 to 20 seconds or more only to drop out for a second.

A cold reboot (power cord pulled for 15 seconds) restores normal playback.

I guess this has been happening for a few weeks but I cannot recall exactly when it started.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Rogers had told me there was no fix for the flickering & that my digital box was defective. Well late last week my 8300HD, which was very slow to turn on & needed multiple slow reboots to occasionally unfreeze it, would no longer reboot. I exchanded it for an 8642HD. Except for one phantom recording, so far so good. I'm using a 1TB external HDD. No flickering and no more lost scheduled recordings after reboot.
The 8642HD firmware is 1.92.16.2, not the same as the 8300's.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Looks like I may have to go that way. I have to cold reboot my box a few times month to unlock it from one of two situations. One is the drop-outs and the other is what I will call HDMI handshake failure.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Flickering continues

Looking for solutions.. the flickering still continues. Only a reboot stops it. I've decided to look at other solutions outside the Rogers PVR. I installed a firmware update for the Yamaha HTR-6190 last night. Its not a new firmware (dated 2009), I must have missed it. I will wait for the next few days to see if the flickering stops. My next move will be to replace the HDMI cable from the PVR to the Yamaha with a component cable...but one change at a time. Will post an update.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not so sure this is a HDMI or AVR issue. I have two 8300's both are direct to TV via HDMI and both have had this issue intermittently and not always at the same time. Yes, a reboot fixes it...until it happens again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts