Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, if the mods think this thread should be somewhere else, please feel free to move it. I suspect the probelm is my PVR which is why I have placed it here.

Last night I noticed the picture on the tv (sony KDL-52W5100) flickering. The bottom 4 or 5 inches were flashing black for a milisecond and ever now and then the entire screen would flicker. The frequency of the flickering was random, sometimes every 10 seconds, sometimes once every 2 or 3 minutes. At the time we were watch a recorded show so I backed up and confirmed that it was not a part of the recording. When the recording was finished I check out live tv and the flickering was still there.

I figured I should narrow down the problem so I tried the following all using the PVR as the source.

- I switched to a different component cable - flickering still there
- I switched to an HDMI cable - flickering still there.
- I used different inputs on the tv - flickering still there

So I decided to switch sources and tried the blu -ray player for about 10 minutes. Didn't see any flickering.

I tried the Wii to see yet another source but with the same cable and tv input as one of the prior attempts with the PVR. No flickering.

Went back to watching more live tv and the flickering was still there, but not a frequent.

I concluded that it must be the PVR and went to bed. This morning I checked it out again using the PVR as the source for about 10 minutes (all the time I had) and did not see any flickering.

The PVR is about 5 years old. The TV is only a year old with no prior problems. The firmware on the TV has been updated a while ago but it is not the latest. The only thing I haven't tried is connecting my other HD box (Pace Summit) to this tv to see if there is any flickering. I have read about a similar problem with this model of tv, but not with this PVR; yet my tests so far seem to show that it is the PVR.

Any thoughts or input are appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Kind of sounds like you should be asking Shaw this question, if you haven't already. It's easy enough over their live chat, and if it is the PVR, hopefully they can replace it for you. If you didn't know this already, apparently if you're a triple-play customer (TV, Internet, Phone), then you have a warranty on all Shaw equipment as long as you stay a triple-play customer, in which case even the 5 year old PVR should be covered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Downbeat - I own the Moto 6412III. Strangely, the flickering has not reappeared since Sunday. Weird, but hopefully it stays this way.

antonk - thanks for the advice. I am a triple play customer and will keep that in mind if it happens again and I can confirm that the PVR is the cause.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts