Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
It's pretty Canadian when the uniforms that the SRU officers wear sport three maple leafs (one on each epaulet and one on the name bar) and vehicles clearly have Ontario license plates. Also, references to Afghanistan are pretty Canadian (JTF2 in the first episode comes to mind).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Also, references to Afghanistan are pretty Canadian (JTF2 in the first episode comes to mind).
Yea they also mentioned that a member of the team was stationed in Kandahar, which implies he's probably a Canadian.

I also noticed in the last episode, which I just watched, that the young man calls his ex-dealer from a Bell payphone. Americans probably just think it is some fake phone company.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Yes, the Canada Post signage was pretty obvious in a number of scenes.

The 3rd strike issue mentioned above stuck out in my head as well. Maybe the writters just don't know any better and it was a mistake, I'd hate to think they added it on purpose.

·
Super Moderator
16,584 Posts
CTV Orders Second Season of Flashpoint

A little blurb from the CTV PR machine. Not bad for a summer series.
- Early production order for homegrown drama, Canada's most-watched
scripted series -

- Flashpoint bests CBC's Olympic Prime in Toronto -
Flashpoint has maintained an average audience of 1.17 million viewers
since it debuted No. 1 in both Canada and the U.S. last month on CTV and
CBS.... Flashpoint has attracted an average weekly
audience of seven million viewers in the U.S. since its premiere.
Flashpoint has been sold to more than 50 countries and regions worldwide,
including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, Scandinavia and Latin
America.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/August2008/25/c6674.html

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yes, the Canada Post signage was pretty obvious in a number of scenes.

The 3rd strike issue mentioned above stuck out in my head as well. Maybe the writters just don't know any better and it was a mistake, I'd hate to think they added it on purpose.
Could be American writers...

·
Registered
2 Posts
So because its Canadian people need to exploit that and try to bring it down or something? Fair enough suit yourself if you dislike it because of the Canadian content, but imo its one of the best shows on TV right now.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I like the show and last night's episode was pretty good. But, I'm not sure how long the story can go on like this. Emergency, rush in, save the day. Too much of that and it will get old fast. They'll need to start eliminating the "and everyone lives happily ever after" ending or delve into the characters a little more.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've never been a big fan of Canadain made productions. 95% of anything coming out of the CBC is overly Canadain bunk in my opinion. I'm a proud Canadian but I hate most of the stuff coming out these days. It's pretty pathetic and tries too hard to put the Canadiana in your face. And far too much period pieces for my liking. Having said that, I really enjoy this series, it's clearly a Canadain centric show, but it doesn't throw it in your face. I like that they throw some references in that only Canadians are going to get. Most of the scenery could be anywhere but we will recognize it and most of the yanks i'm sure just think all those patches and such are made up not realizing they're Metro Toronto badges.

Something I didn't think would play well in the States are some of the uniquely Canadian policing issues, like having to deal with the SIU investigations and now a civilian lawsuit over a police shooting. I don't remember seeing too many story lines like that from any U.S. based shows. I am sure once they reach their stride we'll see some more character development, they've been flurting with it, but i'm thinking they'd have to wait and see how long they'd last before delving too deep into story arcs that are going to take longer to develop.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I've been watching this, and I'm hitting the point that I'm not sure I'm going to watch much more.

Excellent production values, well acted, well-directed, well scripted. But watching crisis after crisis with no very little character development, very little continuing plotline, and very, very little humour.

I'm just not enjoying this enough, and if I want can-con (or tor-con), I'll wait for season 2 of Murdoch Mysteries which is just a delight to watch.

And what was with that Eaton's Centre lockdown. Locking everyone IN with a gunman?They could keep shopping but can't leave the mall?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The cops of "Flashpoint" are much too touchy-feely. There's just no way real cops would resolve such serious conflicts that way if they were real. I suppose that's the story, i.e., to make the officers "human." In reality, the hesitation and soul-searching concerning the criminals would just get innocent people -- including the involved officers killed.

The series, at least for me, doesn't pass the "plausible impossible" test. I'd much sooner believe Wilie Coyote can run off a cliff and keep moving his feet for a few seconds before falling.

I wish "Intelligence" had continued. That was so well-done and well-written. I guess the Americans may not want such a show playing there, but still that show set the bar. "The Border" is decent, but not as well-written.

"Flashpoint" is just not a good TV show. Mediocre is the best word to describe it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
New episodes start Jan 9

I seen a promo for Flashpoint that new episodes will return on Jan 9 on CBS. It probably isn't the second season, but likely leftover episodes from the summer.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Is anybody on here still watching this show? The episode from last Friday was great.

A question, did they film parts of it in a Sobeys store? Thats what it looked like to me.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I've been watching regularly (or as regularly as I can with the broadcast schedule being a mess).

Great show, but I found the first few episodes better, although I still like the current ones.

As for filming in Sobeys, could be, but many stores look alike these days.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have been following this series, although the last one is still on the PVR.

They started with a good format - put you into a crisis, then go back to see how this happened. Neat trick. Trouble is, they have not moved beyond this trick - and I don' think that this is a good format to stand by forever.

Unless CTV is of the opinion that the show will not last, so why bother? A lot of Canadian shows start with a rather depressing view of their future.... :(

Agreed with the lack of character development. Bringing in a new female was a surprise, but good - have to see if she stays. She does provide an interesting counterpoint to the views of the team members.

Love the show, hope CTV finds the creativity to move the show forward before people become bored with the format.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
They started with a good format - put you into a crisis, then go back to see how this happened. Neat trick. Trouble is, they have not moved beyond this trick - and I don' think that this is a good format to stand by forever.
I found it interesting the first 1 or 2 times, but now it annoys me.

Agreed with the lack of character development. Bringing in a new female was a surprise, but good - have to see if she stays. She does provide an interesting counterpoint to the views of the team members.
They just got into developing the characters after the first 8 (?) shows in the Fall, now this seems to have stopped completely. That would be the only thing that keeps it interesting IMO.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I enjoy the show...just because it really doesn't slow down...however I do miss the Power Ranger lately...hope she's back soon...

21 - 40 of 135 Posts