Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rogers Sportsnet have announced a 10-year deal with the NHL’s Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.

Starting with the upcoming 2010-11 NHL season, Sportsnet will televise at least 58 Calgary Flames and 58 Edmonton Oilers games every year for 10 seasons within the Oilers and Flames regional territory which includes Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Allan Watt, a spokesperson for the Oilers said that all but one of the team’s 82 games during the upcoming season will be televised on one of the three channels.

NHL regional restrictions will apply which means that Sportsnet subscribers East of Manitoba will be blacked out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Not much difference for me as I'll watch the Flames on Centre Ice, but the getting rid of PPV will help the locals pocketbooks. Sometimes I liked watching a game in HD from the other teams broadcast on Centre Ice but with all the games now broadcast in HD by RSN, that won't be happening anymore.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's great news for those of us who live in this region. It's sure nice having 2 teams in the same region giving double the games if you are a big hockey fan. With the rumoured return of a team in Winnipeg (came within inches on returning next season) I wonder what the regional broadcast landscape would look like with 3 teams playing in one region. OK, I can dream... ;)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I expect that Manitoba might lose its right as Flames/Oilers territory. Saskatchewan might get all 3 though. Sportsnet One could possibly become very important then, as could Citytv Winnipeg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts