Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just thought I'd post this fix I discovered for getting certain MKV files to play on LG Blu-ray players.
I struggled with this problem for the past year or so. I couldn't stand how some mkv's wouldn't play. After many days of troubleshooting I finally found a fix that has been working for me and my BD590.
It seems that MKVs that were created with 'Header Compression' cause them not to play on our LG blu-ray players. Good news is that there is an easy way to check if an MKV was made with Header Compression and a fairly painless way to remove Header Compression.

STEPS:
1) Download and Install MediaInfo and MkvMerge
2) In MediaInfo, ensure that the 'Explorer Extension' box is checked.
3) In MkvMerge, select File/Options/mmg and check 'Disable Header Removal Compression...'

To Check if a MKV file has Header Compression:
1) Right click on the MKV file in Windows and select MediaInfo. MediaInfo window will open and if the MKV has Media Compression, it will say "(Header Stripping)" under 'First Video Stream'. Close MediaInfo.
2) To remove Header Compression on that MKV, run MkvMerge.
3) Drag your MKV into the MkvMerge window
4) Click on the 'Extra Options' tab
5) Click on each track and make sure that the 'Compression' setting is set to 'None' for all of them.
6) In the 'Output Filename' field, set the location/name of the new MKV you will be creating.
7) Click on 'Start Muxing'.
The fixed MKV will be created. On my 3yr old PC it only takes 3mins for an 8GB 2hr MKV file.

Hope this helps others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Not sure if this will work in this case but when my samsung smart t.v does not read an MKV file I simple change the extension to AVI and it works. Does not seem to lose any quality whatsoever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
I bought an LG 3D LED along with the BD660C player.

The package was well priced ($100 for the player, 3 3D movies and 5 passive glasses).

The 3D player itself was supposed to be 'smart' and does DNLA, internet, etc, etc...was buggy as hell and a huge pain to use. It surprisingly did not play many formats including .m2ts!

Obviously header issue is not the only problem there. Otherwise, remuxing is easy enough but I would not call it a 'fix' since there were more for me to dislike in that BD660C I returned.

Dunno. Maybe I got a lemon.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top