Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
OMG, the undying Linux hope has moved to the wireless industry! I surrender - Android is unstoppable, just like Linux! The next distro around the corner will once and for all take the remaining 95% of the market. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Arthur, Here is your browser prediction from just 1.5 years ago. ;) You can see that a lot can happen in just 2 years.

As for Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc. - I file them all in the "making a limited number of independently thinking users happy by working properly sometimes", a.k.a. "waste of time" category.
I played with an android phone today. All the kids at the office were unanimous when I asked them about getting an iPhone. "The iPhone is too expensive". That may not be entirely true but I say if the teens and 20 somethings are flocking to this thing then it should be taken seriously.

·
Registered
303 Posts
At least with Android 3.0 they are supposed to decouple the UI part, so that manufacturers can provide their SenseUI and such without having to rebuild it for each versions after that... So that should make it easier to keep up to date, of course they should have done it in 2.0... ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
OMG, the undying Linux hope has moved to the wireless industry! I surrender - Android is unstoppable, just like Linux! The next distro around the corner will once and for all take the remaining 95% of the market. :)
Except that unlike Linux Android is actually moving units in large quantities. It also has a lot of carrier buzz behind it, and not just from Verizon/Sprint. Canadian carriers are on board with Android, even those who have access to the iPhone. Just look at all those Telus commercials with the Desire, or Bell's big downtown promotional event with the Vibrant. They are recognizing that Android is the next big thing and that unlike the iPhone, they can differentiate themselves with the latest and greatest Android device.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well, these commercials pale to the Motorola Razr campaign, but, besides the fact that the wireless carriers still advertise their latest phones, I don't see what else this proves.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I recently participated in an organized Telus to Bell migration at another Wireless forum. I'll be getting the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and the girlfriend, who is a MacHead, will be getting an iPhone 4. Previously I've had some experience with iPhones and iPod Touches. Ahead of jumping in I did some research on the Galaxy S, reading articles and watching some review videos. I was quite impressed! Since I've historically supported alternative platforms (OS/2, Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris, etc.), it's not a big surprise I'm not going with the new 800lb gorilla (Apple.)

It'll be an interesting test between the two units. We'll see who gets envious of the other person...

Hopefully I'll be getting my phone next week while she may have to wait a couple weeks more. Heh!

Love the graphic! :cool:

·
Registered
120 Posts
This brings up an interesting question, are android's sales being helped by the fact that nobody can get an iphone 4?

I was in the mall last weekend and saw several people walk in and ask about their new phones, inquire about the iphone 4 and walk out with an android when they were told they were sold out and it was first come first serve when and if they arrived.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Since I've historically supported alternative platforms (OS/2, Linux, OpenBSD, Solaris, etc.), it's not a big surprise I'm not going with the new 800lb gorilla (Apple.)
Hmm, according to stats quoted earlier in this thread, the 800 lb gorilla is still Nokia. According to posters from this thread, the "new, infinitely good-hearted, and about to turn 800 lb any time now gorilla" is Android. You've got to get your "revolutionary", or "alternative", priorities straight, I guess.
Or, at least use the term "evil new 800 lb gorilla", when talking about Apple ;)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
.... I'll be getting the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and the girlfriend, who is a MacHead, will be getting an iPhone 4....

It'll be an interesting test between the two units. We'll see who gets envious of the other person...
That's what I've got: Android for me and the iPhone goes to my wife. And that's a good way to go - you get the best of both worlds.

But like I've posted before, I find the iPhone very frustrating to use. It seems so basic, limited, and almost dumbed down. It's great for non-technical people because it's simple. But for more advanced users it's so limited. Sync (email/calendar/contacts) is so far inferior on the iPhone. What it's great for though is games.

Android is quickly closing the gap though on the number of applications available, the reliability, and the ease of use. So I think it will keep bridging that gap and becoming more friendly for non-techies and at a cheaper price so I only see Androids popularity continuing to rise and iPhone's decline for the next 6 months at least.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So I think it will keep bridging that gap and becoming more friendly for non-techies and at a cheaper price so I only see Androids popularity continuing to rise and iPhone's decline for the next 6 months at least.
The fact that people here can't actually bet money on their predictions is making this thread pointless and its signal to noise ratio close to zero. I'm willing to bet a lot of money against the last part of this statement, but I suspect the author is just exercizing his typing. :)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
But like I've posted before, I find the iPhone very frustrating to use. It seems so basic, limited, and almost dumbed down. It's great for non-technical people because it's simple. But for more advanced users it's so limited. Sync (email/calendar/contacts) is so far inferior on the iPhone.
Care to elaborate? My iPhone basically has the same syncing functionality to our Exchange Server that my Blackberry did.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
The fact that people here can't actually bet money on their predictions is making this thread pointless and its signal to noise ratio close to zero. I'm willing to bet a lot of money against the last part of this statement, but I suspect the author is just exercizing his typing. :)
Why exactly do you say that? So far Android has been growing in popularity and more high-end Android devices are on the way. Meanwhile we're seeing a strong backlash against Apple for the first time (Flash, iPhone 4 signal issues, etc). While I don't doubt that they will sell many iPhone 4s and iPads, I see no reason for Android sales to slow in the near future, especially with devices like the Droid X, Droid 2, Vibrant, Captivate, Desire (North American version), and Epic 4G all launching in the past 2 months, and the Droid 2 World Edition, G2, and Fascinate all appearing imminent there's no shortage of Android choice. None of these has to sell as well as the iPhone, but if each sells equivalent to just 11% of iPhone sales that would match the iPhone right there, without including the many mid-range Android devices.

By the way, popularity does not equate to market share. Popularity can decline without losing market share, at least short-term.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I think the key in determining who rakes in the most marketshare will be how well each manufacturer continues to innovate. It's one thing to come out with something new and impressive, but if you sit on that foundation for too long only making minor improvements, it'll leave the door wide open for a competitor to shake things up. It happened with the iPhone, it happened with Android, and it is bound to happen again.

I'm not saying you have to completely overhaul your interface (like Microsoft and their upcoming "hub" interface for Windows Phone 7), but Apple and Google need to make sure to keep trying to push the envelope in terms of what their devices can do. They need only to look to RIM and the dated BlackBerry OS, or Palm before WebOS to see what happens when you stand still.

If there's one thing I've learned about predicting tech-related things, it's that it is very hard to do so. Cellular technology in particular has changed a lot in 5-10 years, and I don't see the pace slowing down anytime soon. To put it into perspective, 10 years ago I had a Sanyo SCP-4000 phone. It made calls, it might have been able to text, but it really didn't do a whole lot more. If you wanted a multifunction phone, you could look at the Nokia Communicator clamshells (the N900s of their time - big, bulky, but powerful).

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
are android's sales being helped by the fact that nobody can get an iphone 4?
Some people, myself included, choose not to fall for the Apple hype. I don't like to buy anything from a company run by a control freak.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
That control freak's vision is why Apple has been able to introduce four revolutionary products (Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad). If you don't have a strong leader at the top that can force the company to have one vision then you end up with messes like Microsoft's mobile strategy.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
TorontoColin, I am only willing to place a bet against "iPhone's decline for the next 6 months at least" part of the statement. The part about Android continuing to grow - that is debatable, and my expectation is that it might see some more increase of market share in the immediate future - while HTC, LG, Samsung and Motorola simply have no other OS to put on their smartphones - and customers who walk in stores, can't buy an iPhone or W7 device yet. It is safe to say though, that the glory days of this system are now, and it has or will peak in popularity in the next 6 or so months - pretty much in line with the statement of the article that started the thread.
As for the "backlash" that you are seeing - I personally only see lineups in front of Apple stores for now, and sellout in minutes when deliveries arrive elsewhere. Maybe you need to tell me where to look for it. It's the kind of "backlash" that other companies can only see in their dreams.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Some people, myself included, choose not to fall for the Apple hype. I don't like to buy anything from a company run by a control freak.
This reminds me of statements like "I dreamed of a BMW, but the dealer was so rude, so I went with an Audi". Every time I hear it (or something like that), I think "Hopefully now your committed relationship with the nice Audi dealer is all you had hoped for." ;)

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
That control freak's vision
I don't have a problem with vision. I do have a problem with a phone that prevents you from changing the battery. This limits how long you can go without charging and also puts your phone out of service when the battery has to be replaced. Then we get to the iPhone/iPad apps, where Apple seems to excercise arbitrary control over what apps are available to users. As for MS, the leader did have a vision of owning the computer software market, which caused him to use illegal and near illegal means to eliminate competition. As for technical vision, yeah, he sucks.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
TorontoColin, I am only willing to place a bet against "iPhone's decline for the next 6 months at least" part of the statement. The part about Android continuing to grow - that is debatable, and my expectation is that it might see some more increase of market share in the immediate future - while HTC, LG, Samsung and Motorola simply have no other OS to put on their smartphones - and customers who walk in stores, can't buy an iPhone or W7 device yet. It is safe to say though, that the glory days of this system are now, and it has or will peak in popularity in the next 6 or so months - pretty much in line with the statement of the article that started the thread.
I don't see the iPhone declining in the next 6 months, I see the whole Smartphone market continuing its explosion in this timeframe. Everyone I know is moving to a smartphone from their old "just make calls and text" dumbphones.

As for Android peaking, can't see it. The 2.2 update is just starting its major roll out for many top Android phones. 3.0 update for capable phones is just on the horizon. Android phones with 1.3-1.5 ghz (with possible dual core) processors are going to be here by Christmas. No peaking yet, it's just getting started.

As for other os', there is Windows mobile that LG has used before (so some might use W7) and Samsung has its own Bada system now that I tried out with the Samsung Wave at BB the other day and it's not too bad. So there are other os' that these companies can use other than Android, it's just that Android is the better choice right now.
As for the "backlash" that you are seeing - I personally only see lineups in front of Apple stores for now, and sellout in minutes when deliveries arrive elsewhere. Maybe you need to tell me where to look for it. It's the kind of "backlash" that other companies can only see in their dreams.
Line up for Vibrant...http://mobilesyrup.com/2010/08/06/samsung-galaxy-s-vibrant-apparently-had-a-lineup-this-morning/

From Derat in the HTC Desire thread, "Anyone know when the Telus web store is going to have these in stock again... its been a week at least... They launch the best phone they have ever carried, it destroys what the competition can offer and they are out of stock *cry*"

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.