Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks next time out I will remember to use the number 2 setting.

I can only imagine from seeing both your photos from the 2.8IS how much better this photo of the back ground would be out of focus.

Now I can't wait for the phone call to say the lens just came in. Like I said you guys are a bad, bad, influence. :p But you will help make my photos look better from the 2.8 blurr. ;)

· Registered
724 Posts
I have read 1/60th is good also. I thought hand holding 1/60 at 200mm was a bit ambitious. ;)
Not when you're doing panning IMO. When you're panning, you mostly move a certain set of muscles in one direction, instead of constantly moving a complementary pair of muscles in opposite directions to hold still. Same reason you'll be more likely to mini-wobble on straight-line than at turns in balance-sports. This way, high-frequency vibrations can be substantially reduced. The problem with panning using down to 1/60th shutter is that you have to pan really in-sync with the moving subject for a blur-free result. I recommend practice before event day if you run such low shutter speed.

· Registered
574 Posts
Might as well dig this one up, especially since the sample pics are beach VB. Here are a few I took a few weeks ago with a Canon 40D and a 85/1.8 or Tamron 17-50/2.8. More on my flickr....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Yaamon, I hope you're shooting at a major tournament (one that requires uniforms etc). The atmosphere and resulting photographs, because of the visual cues, cannot be beat.

Other than that, I find that paying attention to the background when you're figuring out where to sit gets me better photos. IS of less use when shooting VB - generally you want your shutter speeds to be high enough to freeze action (1/500 or faster), so camera shake isn't an issue.

Don't be afraid to crop - it's pretty much a necessity for sports shots.... and most importantly post your goodies when you're done!

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey Jason

You are lucky Vancouver is the place for beach volleyball. :) Great shots.

I love your the last photo. Too bad the games or tournament here locally the women don't wear the pro looking outfits like your photo. :( Wow, the photo of the women going at the net is what Im looking for.

Too bad the players or tournaments that are held here are not really pro, I want to capture the players jumping in mid air at the net or serving.

There is local club called Not So Pro and then have a tournament on the weekend of Aug 13-15th. I was thinking of going back with the 7D and the 24-105 F4 lens and stand at the net.

The last set I did at the net I took the wrong lens the 70-200 and at 70mm was too long at the net.

Were you near the net to use the 85mm ? I also have the same two lens you have.

Standing at the net what lens would you advise I use. On the wide end I have the 17-50(tamron), 85 F1.8, 24-105 F4 and the 28-135 IS.

Great action photos. Love volleyball photo's on your flickr. :)

· Registered
574 Posts
Yaamon, thanks for the kind words!

Believe me, this is not a typical tournament in Vancouver! It just happened to be the biggest of the year and the finalists were all top-tier players (at least three of the people that I photographed are on the Canadian beach national team). Beach Nationals are in the GTA and I suspect that you will find many top players there. I also suspect that the atmosphere that really adds to the pics you take will be there (ie, crowds, sponsorship banners, unis etc). Look for the date here: http://volleyball.ca/content/calendar (currently it's TBA?!)

It's definitely easier to shoot pros but any reasonably skilled 2s (doubles) players will allow you to get some good shots in. Of course the best net shots are when there's a block, and that's generally reserved for the strongest players.

To answer your other questions, I generally wouldn't stand AT the net ;).
All the shots I've posted above were taken 10-15 ft away from the corner of the court, either at the corner itself or at a position roughly in line with the end line. I find that standing exactly at the net is not a really great place to be as it's harder to get a good angle on the player, especially one that includes their face. Though the net doesn't get in the way of AF, you often lose the visual of the net, which is IMO an important spatial reference.

Shooting from the ends of the court allows you to get the face of one of the players during net play and you can shoot under the net to capture the "other" side digging. The 70-200 should be fine for this and could be useful for taking portraits. In fact I think the 70-200 is just about the perfect lens in this case, as long as you don't stand right on the court ;).

The 17-50 will be good for "ambient" shots like this one:

but I would have to crop VERY heavily to get any net action.

Finally, I find that I really love the shots that capture that instant moment of celebration when a player or team scores the last point. Pay attention to the score and you'll be able to get some shots that are far more unique than just plain 'ol action.

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you for the tips and the link, will remember the advise next time out.

I see they had TBD, oh no as I will be away 2 weeks in Aug in BVI.(British Virgin Island)

You are making me pack the lens, guess I will take the 24-105, 17-50, and the 70-200 in the bag if I need on the 7D.

Your photos great colors and contrast.

Great job.

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not So Pro Ashbridges Bay Aug 14 2010

Hi Jason the local not pro tour had a tournament on Saturday.

Took your advise and experienced from the other shoot that the 70-200 was too long even on the short end when you are standing at the net.

Took the 24-105 lens on the 7D and got excellent shots. I forgot to shoot more wide open since I was using a much shorter focal length.

I normally use F5.6 for my people portrait aperture and selected it. So too much back ground in focus.

· Registered
209 Posts
Yaamon, I just checked out Volleyball Canada's website and the Nationals are August 27-29. I wish I would be around to watch but have already made plans out of the city.

post 22 pic I played with both those girls this spring in an indoor league. I also noticed that there are a couple girls playing in the Canadians that I know as well

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Tunksy31

Tunksy31, where did you get that date from?

I checked on the Canada volley ball web site and its still says to be announced. So it is confirmed for August 27-29 Bay, Toronto.
http://www.volleyball.ca/content/calendar

I'm currently away in BVI and coming back on the 26th. I would be interested in photographing the pro's play if I'm back in time.

Thanks.

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm back in cool Toronto

Man during the days in BVI with humidity it was between 96'-104'F all the days i was there.

It was hot and being that I was born and lived in Jamaica you figure I woul dbe used to the heat. Weather feels so nice here. :D

Tomorrow I will head down with the 7D and the 24-105 F4 lens and the 70-200 F2.8 if I need the reach.

Wish me luck, I'm interested in the jumping shots. :) and if my lens come across some nice women well my camera has a mind of it's own too. :)

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks, HeaTransfer & Tunksy31

HeaTransfer you were not kidding about the cute girls playing.

The most important thing girls are both wearing matching bikini outfits.

The first two photos here, as I was taking her photos I said to myself I know her and realized that I took her photo in July. http://www.pbase.com/yaamon/image/126185265
I was going to introduced myself but she was busy playing and I walked around to the different courts.

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Part 3 and link to rest of photos

Link: http://www.pbase.com/yaamon/sports

Used the 7D with the 24-105 F4 IS @F4 and ISO200. Which the 24-105 was a F2.8 lens.

I also brought the 70-200 F2.8 IS II but left it in the car the 70mm would still be too long on the crop sensor.

· Registered
209 Posts
Yaamon, Great pics!! I checked out your link as well... Wish I could have made it to watch some amazing ball (and get some photos). I also missed the mens indoor in Mississauga Tuesday night, that would have been a great game as well, and a good chance to get some more good photos of some v-ball. Your third pic with the girl digging the ball is quite impressive... It shows how much the ball actually warps during a contact, GREAT SHOT!!!

Hope you enjoyed it and didn't get too hot, and your neck wasn't too sore from twisting trying to look at the "scenery", unfortunately I was playing baseball and was exhausted from the heat.

Keep up the good work, I enjoy looking at your shots

Cheers,

Tunksy

· Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanks Tunksy

Thanks for the comments Tunksy, I think I'm getting the hang of the volleyball.

Standing at the net the action moves so fast and you have to decide quickly which side you are going to shoot and track them through the viewfinder. I should learn to keep the other eye open to watch the ball.

That day there was so many good players and I would watch the games for a few minutes to decide what court to take photos of. Next time I will plan to go both days.

The weather was good and sunny, and I packed a small cooler with water and ice.

If you liked the dig, I'm sure you liked this photo that was in the set.

The 8fps from the 7D is excellent for sports. I'm hoping that next year the beach nationals will be hosted at Ashbridges Bay again. If they do and you are going let me know we can shoot together.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.