Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
516 Posts
After today shoot I decided on Monday I will buy the 7D. I found the 50D using the center point focus was not as accurate as I thought it would be.

Now comes the additional cost, should I add the 70-200mm F2.8 IS II. Think I want to keep the 70-200mm F4 IS because it so light and can easily be used on the 5D II as a street photography. The only thing is the weight I went to the store a few weeks ago and after 30mins my left arm could feel the pain.

To me the 5D II with the 6 assist focus points in AI Servo was more accurate when the subject moved away from the center focus point.

On the 50D I would say about 90% was in focus and the 6.3fps was good.
You know you want the 2.8L IS II ;)
Usually when I'm shooting Soccer I use a monopod attached to the lens (the 2.8s come with the lens mount as opposed to the $200 option with the f/4's) so weight is not as much of an issue. The 2.8 balances nicely on a monopod with a 1D series or a 5D/7D gripped.

· Registered
516 Posts

f/2.8, 1/2500, ISO 400.

I really like the 2.8 for blurring out the background with sports. Really helpful when the Soccer game is surrounded by distracting objects like the Porta Potty & parking lot in this shot.

As I've mentioned I just use the center AF point and AI Servo mode and continuous drive mode. I generally use Av set to 2.8 and adjust the ISO to keep the shutter speed above 1/800. Once you get the hang of tracking the play most (70 - 80%) are in focus. I tend to frame loose and crop. With a 16MP sensor I can really crop in to get the action and still usually have to reduce the resolution for a 4x6" print at 240ppi.

It's my favorite portrait lens too. I used to have the non IS version of the f/4L and it was really nice as well but the primary use for this lens (what I bought it for, as opposed to what the wife wants me to take pictures of) is head & shoulder shots and the extra stop makes a big difference in blur. Many say the f/4 IS and non IS versions are sharper than the f/2.8 IS but it works for me.

The lenses I lust after are the 85 f/1.2 or the 135 f/2

· Registered
516 Posts
That's a great photo Gordon, focus is dead on. Good colors and contrast. the body and lens are working together properly as it should.
Thanks - I have some better shots but they are of other people's kids and I DONT post those on the Internet
I love the bokeh of that photo at F2.8, and with a FF it's better. Gordon since you have the 1 series and the 70-200 F2.8 Is how heavy is the combo.
Yes, the 2.8 is heavy but balances nicely with one hand on the tripod mount. The 5D & Grip comes in at 1125g and the 1Ds MkII at 1215g so not much difference (this is without batteries, I suspect 2 LP-E6's are lighter than one NP-E2 at 305g) The lens at 1470g or 1490g for the Mk II is slightly lighter than the body + battery so it balances well

· Registered
516 Posts
...I love the bokeh of that photo at F2.8, and with a FF it's better. Gordon since you have the 1 series and the 70-200 F2.8 Is how heavy is the combo. End of the month got a media pass to take photos at the pride parades. Slapping the grip on the 5D II with the 70-200mm F4 IS and the 24-105 F4 IS on the 7D, hmm wondering if I should use a 85mm on the 7D.
The usual pairing for event photography with 2 bodies would be a telezoom for reach and either a wide-angle or a wide zoom for the up-close-and-personal shots (if you have a media pass you should be able to get inside the barriers and get some awesome shots with a wide by pushing in tight)
...I have been thinking about a 135mm F2 as the bokeh is so smooth. I have to reason with myself do I need another prime I also have a 100mm F2.8 macro.

I asked the sales guy that I deal with if they sold the 70-200mm F2.8 IS II he said yes. When he checked they had another in stock. I got another week to think about this lens. Yikes....
Check Photoprice. I think you'll be suprised how much you can save ordering out of province. I bought my 2.8 from The Camera Store in Calgary and saved over $400 versus going to one of the major stores here - I highly recommend them. You've got the 85 f/1.8 which is an awesome lens so you might consider the 135 (or sell the 85 ;-) I'm probably going to get the 135 in the fall as that's my sweet spot for portraiture on a FF body and it would also work for low-light event photography.

Do I really need it? :rolleyes:
Need vs. Want :)

· Registered
516 Posts
I was using my 7D with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS this weekend at the race track. I'm new to motorsport photography and I find it quite challenging to get sharp shots with low shutter speed. I can use fast shutter speed but it freezes motion and you lose the sensation of speed....
Uberchuckie - try an even slower shutter speed. I've seen a few people claim that 1/15 to 1/60th is optimal

· Registered
516 Posts
I have read 1/60th is good also. I thought hand holding 1/60 at 200mm was a bit ambitious. ;)

I shall try it to see how well it turns out.
You should be able to get 3 to 4 stops of stabilization from the IS which translates 1/60 to 1/240 or 1/480. On the 7D the old 1/(focal length) rule would mean at least 1/320 with the lens racked out. Probably lots of failed attempts but the images that work will have lots more background blur (and I don't mean bokeh!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.