Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After today shoot I decided on Monday I will buy the 7D. I found the 50D using the center point focus was not as accurate as I thought it would be.

Now comes the additional cost, should I add the 70-200mm F2.8 IS II. Think I want to keep the 70-200mm F4 IS because it so light and can easily be used on the 5D II as a street photography. The only thing is the weight I went to the store a few weeks ago and after 30mins my left arm could feel the pain.

To me the 5D II with the 6 assist focus points in AI Servo was more accurate when the subject moved away from the center focus point.

On the 50D I would say about 90% was in focus and the 6.3fps was good.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Yaamon,

My wife just received a new camera and is very new to what I call higher end photography. :) When I showed her your photos she thought they were very nice and wondered if you would mind sharing the settings they were taken with?

Is the quality of those photos more linked to those settings or the actual lens you used?

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
520 Posts
After today shoot I decided on Monday I will buy the 7D. I found the 50D using the center point focus was not as accurate as I thought it would be.

Now comes the additional cost, should I add the 70-200mm F2.8 IS II. Think I want to keep the 70-200mm F4 IS because it so light and can easily be used on the 5D II as a street photography. The only thing is the weight I went to the store a few weeks ago and after 30mins my left arm could feel the pain.

To me the 5D II with the 6 assist focus points in AI Servo was more accurate when the subject moved away from the center focus point.

On the 50D I would say about 90% was in focus and the 6.3fps was good.
You know you want the 2.8L IS II ;)
Usually when I'm shooting Soccer I use a monopod attached to the lens (the 2.8s come with the lens mount as opposed to the $200 option with the f/4's) so weight is not as much of an issue. The 2.8 balances nicely on a monopod with a 1D series or a 5D/7D gripped.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gordon, I talked myself out of the 70-200mm F2.8 IS II a few weeks ago by saying oh I could feel the weight in my left arm.

Now shooting sports makes me think what a nice 2.8 can do for sports. But then again I'm just a hobbyist not pro. After I get the 7D on Monday I can't wait to try it at sports again. The NSP Volleyball has a tournament in August 13-15 same location Ashbridges Bay, will see test out the 7D there.

notsure, I don't mind at all sharing what camera settings I use.

The settings does affect the picture but its the lens that makes the most improvement. On both my camera I use the standard camera picture setting and from there reduce the contrast by -1.

I shoot raw and them use dpp or photoshop to process the picture. All I do is adjust the exposure if needed and crop and resize the photo. I'm no novice and don't even know how to use layers or mask in photoshop yet.

What camera and lens does the wife use? Most of the lens that comes with the camera's today are pretty good. You only really notice the difference when you blow up the image or know what to look for like at the corners of the photos.

I really enjoy shooting candid portraits as a hobby.

The same day beaches had a bbq fest.

·
Registered
520 Posts

f/2.8, 1/2500, ISO 400.

I really like the 2.8 for blurring out the background with sports. Really helpful when the Soccer game is surrounded by distracting objects like the Porta Potty & parking lot in this shot.

As I've mentioned I just use the center AF point and AI Servo mode and continuous drive mode. I generally use Av set to 2.8 and adjust the ISO to keep the shutter speed above 1/800. Once you get the hang of tracking the play most (70 - 80%) are in focus. I tend to frame loose and crop. With a 16MP sensor I can really crop in to get the action and still usually have to reduce the resolution for a 4x6" print at 240ppi.

It's my favorite portrait lens too. I used to have the non IS version of the f/4L and it was really nice as well but the primary use for this lens (what I bought it for, as opposed to what the wife wants me to take pictures of) is head & shoulder shots and the extra stop makes a big difference in blur. Many say the f/4 IS and non IS versions are sharper than the f/2.8 IS but it works for me.

The lenses I lust after are the 85 f/1.2 or the 135 f/2

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gordon you are killing me.

That's a great photo Gordon, focus is dead on. Good colors and contrast. the body and lens are working together properly as it should.

I love the bokeh of that photo at F2.8, and with a FF it's better. Gordon since you have the 1 series and the 70-200 F2.8 Is how heavy is the combo. End of the month got a media pass to take photos at the pride parades. Slapping the grip on the 5D II with the 70-200mm F4 IS and the 24-105 F4 IS on the 7D, hmm wondering if I should use a 85mm on the 7D.

I just picked up the 7D and tested it with my 85mm F1.8 that is dead on both my body that needs 0ma.

The 85mm on the 7D it dead on sometimes at 0 and other's at -3. This is just from a few photos so no conclusion yet. Just charging up th ebattery and going to look through the manual. Will try it with my other lens this evening and if they all need ma I will drop it to canon for calibration. :(

Shot this in a parking lots a car beside me using the 85mm f1.8 @F2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yaamon/4721933886/

I have been thinking about a 135mm F2 as the bokeh is so smooth. I have to reason with myself do I need another prime I also have a 100mm F2.8 macro.

I asked the sales guy that I deal with if they sold the 70-200mm F2.8 IS II he said yes. When he checked they had another in stock. I got another week to think about this lens. Yikes....

Do I really need it? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was using my 7D with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS this weekend at the race track. I'm new to motorsport photography and I find it quite challenging to get sharp shots with low shutter speed. I can use fast shutter speed but it freezes motion and you lose the sensation of speed.

200mm f/5.6 1/250 ISO 100.

I forgot to put IS in mode 2 for lateral panning. I wonder if I would have gotten better shots with it set correctly.

Two years ago @ Montreal GP w/ my 30D.

200m f/8 1/320 ISO 100.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Get the f/2.8... good for blurring out the background. :)

70mm f/2.8 1/2000 ISO 100.

I'm really tempted to get the 100mm-400mm for air shows.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
uberchuckie the last photo of the guy looking on his bike is a great shot. I like the colors and contrast.

Man you and gordonb are a bad bad bad influence. :eek: I ready to pull the trigger on the 70-200mm F2.8 IS II. I might go get it tomorrow. I called the store and they still have it in stock. When I got the new camera the wife said maybe I can go down cne for the air show and test it out I said nah.. Been a few times and where you sit at Ontario Place the sun is on front of you so taking photo of the planes you get massive shadow. :(

I droped my 7D to Canon Mississauga for AF check and calibration this morning. I did some focus tests last night. Out of the 6 lens that I have, 5 needs no MA on my 50D or 5D II, four of the lens needs MA on the 7D.

The tamron 17-50mm F2.8 needed -8 while on the 50D needs 0. The 24-105 was dead on at 0am. The 85mm and 100 macro was out and the 70-200 F4 IS need -3.

Close up the 85mm need 0 ma but at distance 4feet+ need more towards -5.

Here is a sample the 24-105 @105mm and F4 on the 7D at 0ma.

James how is focus speed on the sigma lens is your lens the OS version?

·
Registered
520 Posts
That's a great photo Gordon, focus is dead on. Good colors and contrast. the body and lens are working together properly as it should.
Thanks - I have some better shots but they are of other people's kids and I DONT post those on the Internet
I love the bokeh of that photo at F2.8, and with a FF it's better. Gordon since you have the 1 series and the 70-200 F2.8 Is how heavy is the combo.
Yes, the 2.8 is heavy but balances nicely with one hand on the tripod mount. The 5D & Grip comes in at 1125g and the 1Ds MkII at 1215g so not much difference (this is without batteries, I suspect 2 LP-E6's are lighter than one NP-E2 at 305g) The lens at 1470g or 1490g for the Mk II is slightly lighter than the body + battery so it balances well

·
Registered
370 Posts
Haha, peer presure works! For air shows you should go to the states. My buddy and I flew down to Binghamton, NY last summer.

I think I'm going to send my 7D in for calibration as well. I find it a hit-and-miss right now for auto-focus. I need to figure out how to do the micro adjustments also.

·
Registered
520 Posts
...I love the bokeh of that photo at F2.8, and with a FF it's better. Gordon since you have the 1 series and the 70-200 F2.8 Is how heavy is the combo. End of the month got a media pass to take photos at the pride parades. Slapping the grip on the 5D II with the 70-200mm F4 IS and the 24-105 F4 IS on the 7D, hmm wondering if I should use a 85mm on the 7D.
The usual pairing for event photography with 2 bodies would be a telezoom for reach and either a wide-angle or a wide zoom for the up-close-and-personal shots (if you have a media pass you should be able to get inside the barriers and get some awesome shots with a wide by pushing in tight)
...I have been thinking about a 135mm F2 as the bokeh is so smooth. I have to reason with myself do I need another prime I also have a 100mm F2.8 macro.

I asked the sales guy that I deal with if they sold the 70-200mm F2.8 IS II he said yes. When he checked they had another in stock. I got another week to think about this lens. Yikes....
Check Photoprice. I think you'll be suprised how much you can save ordering out of province. I bought my 2.8 from The Camera Store in Calgary and saved over $400 versus going to one of the major stores here - I highly recommend them. You've got the 85 f/1.8 which is an awesome lens so you might consider the 135 (or sell the 85 ;-) I'm probably going to get the 135 in the fall as that's my sweet spot for portraiture on a FF body and it would also work for low-light event photography.

Do I really need it? :rolleyes:
Need vs. Want :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was using my 7D with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS this weekend at the race track. I'm new to motorsport photography and I find it quite challenging to get sharp shots with low shutter speed. I can use fast shutter speed but it freezes motion and you lose the sensation of speed....
Uberchuckie - try an even slower shutter speed. I've seen a few people claim that 1/15 to 1/60th is optimal

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gordon, for the photo at the pride parade Im wondering of the 24-105 on the 7D will be too long at 24x1.6.

I have a tamron 17-50mm F2.8 bit I'm thinking the 50 I might need to be long enough. With the media pass I will get through the restrictions and intend to get photos before the parade while they are getting ready etc.

I just check some of the photos that I took and 95% are all 40mm+ using the 5D II. I was behind the barricade. This year i can walk where the parade is, so hopefully the 24-105 on the 7D will be short enough.

Most are 70-105mm.

Im no pro and sure don't to carry 3 camera's. :D

uberchuckie, that's a good idea about going to the states for the air show. Im normally there on every long weekend.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Uberchuckie - try an even slower shutter speed. I've seen a few people claim that 1/15 to 1/60th is optimal
I have read 1/60th is good also. I thought hand holding 1/60 at 200mm was a bit ambitious. ;)

I shall try it to see how well it turns out.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh no 70-200mm F2.8 IS II sold yesterday

This morning I called the sales guy I know to hold that 70-200mm lens. He said too late they sold it yesterday. :(

He put me on hold to called canon and luckily they just received stock this week he placed the order and I should get it by Friday. ;)

He was sure I would have to wait till some time in July.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have read 1/60th is good also. I thought hand holding 1/60 at 200mm was a bit ambitious. ;)

I shall try it to see how well it turns out.
You should be able to get 3 to 4 stops of stabilization from the IS which translates 1/60 to 1/240 or 1/480. On the 7D the old 1/(focal length) rule would mean at least 1/320 with the lens racked out. Probably lots of failed attempts but the images that work will have lots more background blur (and I don't mean bokeh!)

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gordon, when you are shooting sports so you have the IS set to 1 or 2?

I had it on 1, as I forgot what the difference was for.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mode 1 stabilizes vertical and horizontal movements. Mode 2 only stabilizes the axis perpendicular to the axis of movement so it doesn't affect panning shots. So if you're panning horizontally, it only stabilize vertical movements.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts