Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, my parents started experiencing terrible call quality using Rogers Home Phone. Callers can hardly understand what they are saying due to frequent break ups. The break ups usually disappear within 60-90 seconds. They're using VTech DECT 6.0 cordless handsets with the base station plugged into the home phone modem.. This modem and their Internet modem are connected to a coax cable splitter which was replaced yesterday (didn't make a difference). They also have an old corded NorTel phone in their bedroom which does not experience this issue. Any ideas before they replace the VTechs? If it's a phone issue, seems weird the breakups disappear after 60-90 seconds.

· Super Moderator
59,108 Posts
I had a noise on the line issue a few months ago. Turned out it was the phone cord that had been in place for years. This was also a cordless phone (Panasonic). I replaced that phone cord and all was fine. In my case this also affected other phones in the home. Here's my post over on the Rogers Forum:

· Registered
9,071 Posts
A few years ago, a friend had a similar problem. It got so bad I was frequently asking her to use a wired phone. She got a new cordless phone and that cleared the problem. Of course, trying the cable first might be a good idea, as cables and connectors often fail.

· Registered
9,071 Posts
Will try replacing the cable. Pretty weird if that's the cause though, as the problem disappears after 60-90 seconds.
When a phone is "on hook", there is no current passing through the cable. When the phone is in use, there is some current, which could affect a poor connection. That might explain your situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts