Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the following setup, and looking to add a home audio system.

Panasonic Viera TC-P50V10 (50" PLasma)
Play Station 3 (used as blu ray player, and gaming)

Budget: Under $1000
Size of room: 24 x 12. Ceiling 9 ft.

After doing some research. The most decent HTIB is the Onkyo HT-S7200. But I can't find any available in Canada. Is there any other comparable HTIB?

All the experts say its better to build a custom system.

I am a newbie, afraid I won't be able to use the reciever to its full potential (i.e. setup etc). Is the HTIB easier to use?

Any suggestion on what would be the best option for me for under $1000?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
As you mention, it's probably better to go for a separate AVR and a set of 5.1 speakers. This has been discussed often in this forum and I'm sure others will provide suggestions. In the meantime, check out the following FAQ on AVR features. Whether you're getting an AVR or HTiB, you want something with the correct features - like lossless audio via HDMI, appropriate inputs/outputs, etc. The optimization/setup of the entire system is not that much different with an AVR or HTiB.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082

Then check out the following post, useful for those new to this sort of thing - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
478 Posts
For your budget you can build a much better setup than any HTiB.

However, HTiB's are simpler to buy (everything in one box) and simpler to install (relatively).

It's not too hard to buy and hook up a receiver to speakers and input sources and we're here to help if you need it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Welcome to Digital Home :)
For your budget you can build a much better setup than any HTiB.

However, HTiB's are simpler to buy (everything in one box) and simpler to install (relatively).

It's not too hard to buy and hook up a receiver to speakers and input sources and we're here to help if you need it.
I fully agree! If you care a bit about audio and video quality you should definitely move toward seperates. You can still built your self a half decent system with your budget. One of the pros of going to separate is you can upgrade around it as budget allows. Something that usually can't be done with an HTIB since connections and gear aren't usually compatible. IE: most HTIB are 2 ohms while most speakers are 4 or 8 ohms and therefore your HTIB AVR could NOT be compatible and you would have to start the process all over once you find the flimsy HTIB speakers to be inadequate for your room listening.

Cheers!
TK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts