Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting my kid there own phone and was wondering what others have found\purchased for there's kids I am also looking at what software is out there that can be used to follow the ph on it journeys (gps) and or keystroke software to moniter activitys at a later date if so required

if you have some ideas please pass on thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any idea anyone
i have looked at some reviews on phones: but there are a whole lot that crap out within months of buying them. anyone have there own recommendatons
:(

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Personally, I don't think parents should track their kids but that's a different story.

It's almost impossible to make a recommendation as you don't say what type of plan you want, where you're located and other pieces of information that would allow others to give you any concrete recommendation. We can't do you homework for you.

Any feature phone on the market does voice calls so why not just buy the cheapest phone from your favourite provider?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't believe kids need cell phones, until they are old enough to pay for the bill themselves. My oldest son (now 27), got his own cell phone when he was 16. I said I'd help him get it, as long as I never have to pay for a bill. He was working part time, and agreed. To this day, I've never had to pay for a bill for him. My youngest son (now 25) got his own cell phone when he finished high school. Same thing for him.

Kids today do not NEED a cell phone, no matter what "justification" they may come up with. It's just another distraction while they should be concentrating at school. Besides, knowing what my kids were like when they were young, I'd probably would be replacing the phone almost monthly, because they'd either break them or lose them. Best to buy them some extra time with a tutor. When they get old enough to work part-time, then they can get their own phone. Just my $0.02 (CDN).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Gave my daughter a PayAsYouGO phone when she went into Grade 6. The school is a 2.5 km walk and sometimes she needs to call to arrange a pick up when there is no one to walk with etc.

It costs $100 a year for an annual PayGO card and now I know my daughter can contact her mother or me at a moments notice.

Cell phones for kids can be a damn good idea. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
i never made my parents pay for my cellphone.

Ive had a celphone since i was 18 years old. I had no credit back then, so i even had to pay this $250 security deposit, got it back after good standing payment history with rogers. If a kid wants a phone they should know about this its a good way to teach them about establishing credit.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Okay lets get back to the topic at hand please.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry I'm late to this topic, but Nokia's known for producing great budget phones. It's how they gobbled up large chunks of the asian and african markets. Good quality, simple phones that just WORK.

I got my first cell phone when I was 15. I'm 30 now. I was the first Grade 10 in my high school to have a cell phone! My mom explained the rules to me (expensive calling times vs. cheap, etc.) and then let me have at it. I always stayed within budget and I think it was a good learning opportunity.

These days it'd probably be wise to get them a "My 5" style plan and maybe unlimited text messages. Who pays for the plan is up to you! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts