Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running Firefox on a Sony Vaio desktop for a number of years. Recently when I tried to open Firefox after a reboot, I got the message "can not open Firefox since it is already open". It wasn't open and I have since moved back to IE7. My preference is Firefox.

On a second note.

Is there a reputable computer repair company in North Vancouver or East Vancouver or Burnaby that someone can recommend? I think this desktop is in need of some significant SW clean up etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you get that message and there is no instance of firefox.exe running, then your profile may have the parent.lock file in it. This file is used by Firefox to tell the program the file is open. If Firefox didn't get shut down properly it may not have been able to remove the file, so when you go to open Firefox, the program thinks it's already running since the file is there.

You can go to your profile folder, which you can go here to find out how to locate it (or do a search in Windows for the file "parent.lock"). Once you find the file, delete it, then start Firefox, it should load properly.

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
RNST said:
I have been running Firefox on a Sony Vaio desktop for a number of years. Recently when I tried to open Firefox after a reboot, I got the message "can not open Firefox since it is already open". It wasn't open and I have since moved back to IE7. My preference is Firefox.
I started having that problem with Firefox last year. I would close a session and then, after a short interval - or even a longer interval - if I tried to open a new session I'd get that message. So I'd bring up Task Manager, select Processes and kill Firefox in there. Then I'd be able to start up a new session.

It happened sporadically but fairly frequently, and soon got tiresome. So I switched to Chrome. No regrets. :)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've seen this occasionally. A reboot will fix it. If that's not desirable, end any firefox.exe processes with Task Manager.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Firefox 4 was released a few days ago. Might be the cure.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Firefox v4.0 Refresh Bug

Firefox version 4.0 does not automatically reload/refresh the previous page when you press the back button. Mozilla support is aware of the bug and will send me an email when the bug is fixed. So for time being, I reverted back to Firefox version 3.6.16. Ref: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/779617.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
This has always happened to me from time to time and still happens with v4. It happens when I close Firefox and try to open it again right away. I just kill the process no big deal for me.

I've set up Firefox to clear all cache, cookies and history when it closes. Maybe I don't give it enough time to do that when I try to reopen.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've never had Firefox on Win7 x64 refresh correctly upon an exit and restart and revisit of a page with a lot of text and new text is added between loads, also happens with v4 of FF. On my WinXP sp3 machine, it works perfectly every time.... Must be a file(s) ownership / access issue that rears it's head during exit and flushing of the cache. Just a guess...

Cameron

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Clicking on the Refresh Button or pressing CTRL+R works for me.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
the Refresh Button or pressing CTRL+R
Hey Scary, so does F5. :)

I think what should happen here is with the cache set to clear upon exit, a restart of the browser should present a current web page, not anything left over from the cache....

Cameron

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I agree that it FF4 should present the correct page. OTOH, I don't see it as a big enough issue to switch browsers. Clearing the cache on exit should work as well. Not sure if that is an option or if it requires an add-on or third party software.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think I'm onto something... :)

FF4 has changed the cache management regime...

Tools -> Options -> Advanced

Under "Offline Storage"

Check "Overide automatic cache management and "Limit cache to MB of space". I set that to zero.

There's one site that is most troublesome with this, so now I'm waiting for something to update on it and I'll report back...

With updates and new versions it's best not to "ASSume".... :)

Cameron

·
Registered
315 Posts
Add Ons

Having no luck at all in installing my favourite add ons (using SUSE's version of Firefox 4.0.)
Hoping for fixes.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Many thanks BPlayer, but I'll be patient.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Installation Question For Firefox 4

Does v4 overwrite v3, or is there an option to install to a new folder ?
If a new folder is allowed, can both versions share the same profile ?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I am running a Mac and updated Firefox, expecting to see V4 but I got a new version of V3.

The only way I could find to install V4 was to download the .dmg

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The v4 didn't come down as an update on the Windows platform either. Same as your Mac, it needed to be downloaded separately.

Cameron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts