Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Firefox 6 is slated for an official release on Tuesday Mozilla has already thrown up the installation files on its FTP server for those who want to get their hands on the final code early.

The next version of the popular open source browser doesn't bring major UI changes, but it is reportedly 20% faster than Firefox 5 and adds a few tweaks to improve plug-in management as well as site-specific permissions tool -- both of which were available since the beta.

Firefox 6 is available to download for Windows, Mac, and Linux systems.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Running it now and everything seems fine. Multiple tabs may load a little faster but nothing perceptible at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
What about computer ressources? If I have 6 or so tabs, it starts chewing my RAM big time over a few hours of use. That's with FF4.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Danster, you should update to latest version

·
Registered
462 Posts
ive had nothing but problems with Firefox when i went from 3 to 4 to 5, i have never had any problems with any versions 3 or lower.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Two crashes yesterday. Memory usage at 450 megabytes with one tab open. I think Firefox is the only one of my programs that continues to "improve" in this way.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've been using Firefox for years and the plethora of add-ons and personas is great to be sure but I've been finding that Internet Explorer is much smoother when scrolling down a page using the taskbar than Firefox. You can't notice it on every site, but on sites with a lot of graphics going on or embedded videos. Can anyone else confirm the same for me? Try going to "redvsblue.com" in both IE and FF and left click and hold on the scrollbar to navigate up and down the page (the old school way,don't use the scroll-wheel). In IE it is silky smooth while in Firefox it kinda just jumps down the page instead of scrolling smoothly. The scrollbar in FF doesn't go up and down the way it should. I am aware Firefox has a "smooth-scrolling" feature you can enable but that only is effective when using the scroll-wheel, not the bar.

It just seems odd to me they are releasing so many new versions of Firefox this year. I remember installing 4 for the first time earlier this year and that was the first major update in a long time. Now we have 6 and apparently they want to try and get 7 out before the end of the year too. Thats 4 versions in one year. Is Mozilla being run by Apple now or something? (case in point, iTunes >:O)

On the plus side when I upgraded to version 6 it said multirow bookmarks and my persona wouldn't work, but they are still there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the newest Firefox on my laptop but I've kept the Firefox 3.6 version (the one before the whole style revamp) on my parents computer, and I've come to realize just how much better it was before.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I use google.com/ig as my homepage. Ever since Firefox 5 and 6, maybe 4, a subsequent page change from the bookmark tab (ie digital home etc) takes forever, (white screen, tab at the bottom "googleleader services" or cannot find server. Usually an extra click or two will find the correct page.
However, if I am on digital home and want another site, the page change is reasonable. It is as though Firefox and google don't mix.
It is not my ISP, as Safari doesn't have this problem.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Firefox 5 worked great for us.

With Firefox 6 we are once again having the issue where Firefox "closes" but does not shut down completely.

When you go to run Firefox again later, you get the message that Firefox is already running.

Other than that, it's working OK.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I agree with all the comments regarding so many releases etc...With all of the persona, tab options, they have now become the complete opposite of what made this browser so appealing in the first place. Keep it simple and fast dummies!

·
Banned
310 Posts
I use Firefox as my main browser because there's a couple of add-ons/extensions that I can't or don't want to surf without but it's certainly not the fastest or most stable browser around.

If IE9 had the add-ons I need I'd probably use it instead.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Have firefox 6.0.2 and it is always crashing at minimum once a day. Have it as my main browser. Is it better to download an earlier version? Should I uninstall this version first.

I hate it when their are upgrades and its not as good. Why a company would do this I really don't understand? Remember the old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it."

Spelling mistake on purpose. Thats how I remember the saying told to me many times, I have lost count. ;)

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
This is just stupid. I'm seriously thinking of going back to IE.

-Mike

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I run Firefox 7 on my Mac and I find it very stable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts