Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install CAT6, RG6 and speaker cables for my own home. I talked to a city of Vancouver electrical inspector on the phone and he said the fire safety requirement for CAT6 cables is FT4. However, he is not sure what the requirement for speaker cables is.

It looks like the riser-rated (CMR) CAT6 cable that I can find on ************** meets the FT4 standard. But I am not sure whether the CL2-rated speaker wire meets FT4. Since this is for in-wall installation in my own home, I do want to ensure that it meets the building code.

Has anyone gone through the process and can fill me in on the requirement?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
heyipeng, the CL2 rating is the same as FT4 and both are suitable anywhere in your home.
I wouldn't quite say anywhere in your home. Its fine in the walls, but some people run wire in the air ducts, and that has to be plenum rated. Plenum cable is expenseive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Being an alarm installer for 23 years, I can say that ft4 is not plenum rated, but ft6 is. I usually keep 1 box of ft6 in my stock just in case I sell a job that uses the space above the suspended ceiling as the air return.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The website that I was referring to, Monoprice, just got back to me and they said the CL2 cables that they carry is not FT4-rated. :(

Since the cables will be installed in-wall and not in air-duct, I don't think FT6 (plenum) is needed.

So my next question is are any places that you can recommend to get FT4 rated cables in either the Vancouver area or online?

Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
In Calgary that's all they use in a plenum. There is more to this than the cable rating, the type of fire suppression system within the building does come into play (ie sprinklers, smoke detectors & air handling unit shut down's).

These guys have the FT4 speaker cable your after. http://www.infinitecables.com/bulk_speaker-wire.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts