Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from a telemarketing company called Voxdata on behalf of the Royal Bank.

When I said that I was on the national do not call list I was promptly told that all financial institutions are exempt from the list.

Is that really the case??

I managed to speak with a manager or supervisor with the company and was told he would try to remove my number from their dialers but he would not promise anything.

They were calling with some new customer offer. Ironically, I'm already a customer so I then called the RBC to file a complaint with them but that's a whole other thread for some other time. :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Here is a section I pulled from the Canadian Do Not Call web site.

"If I register my telephone number on the National DNCL, will I still receive telemarketing calls?
When you register on the National DNCL, you will receive fewer telemarketing calls, but there are some exceptions including:
  • registered charities
  • political parties and candidates
  • opinion polling firms or market research firms conducting surveys
  • newspapers calling to sell a subscription
  • organizations that have a business relationship with you, for example:
    • you’ve done business with the organization in the last 18 months
    • you’ve inquired about the organization’s products or services in the last 6 months"
So the reply that all financial institutions are exempt is not true. Unfortunately this call would not appear to be against policy because you are a current customer of RBC.

However the telemarketer was not telling the truth as to them being able to remove your name from their dialers. From the DNC web site is the following extract.

Are there other ways I can reduce the number of telemarketing calls I receive?
Whether or not you’re registered on the National DNCL, you can reduce the number of telemarketing calls by adding your number to individual telemarketers’ do not call lists.
All telemarketers, even if they only make exempted calls, must keep their own internal do not call lists. When you receive a call, you can ask to have your number added to their do not call list, or you can contact the organization directly to have your number placed on their list. The organization must keep your number on their do not call list for 3 years.
Keep in mind that calls made by market research or polling firms are not considered telemarketing calls because they aren’t selling, leasing or renting products or services. Similarly, debt collection calls are not considered telemarketing calls. As well, these organizations do not have to keep internal do not call lists

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the reply that all financial institutions are exempt is not true. Unfortunately this call would not appear to be against policy because you are a current customer of RBC.

However the telemarketer was not telling the truth as to them being able to remove your name from their dialers. From the DNC web site is the following extract.
Technically true but the telemarketer didn't know I was a customer... it was a new customer offer of some sort.

He made it sound like he was doing me a favour by trying to remove me from the list.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Yep. But the next time you are in the bank, ask to be placed on their DNS list (do not solicit). I'm sure all the banks have them (TD does) and they respect them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts