Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally got to me. Paying for a bunch of crap channels I never watch, seeing rates constantly increase, and paying extra for HD channels (who watches the damn analog counterpart if the HD option is available? It's a straight swap as far as I'm concerned. And we pay plenty as cable subscribers already!). So my wife and I have decided to say farewell to our digital cable package. We'll be keeping the rest of our internet + phone bundle, but it's bye-bye to TV.

Making the call this week. Feels good already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try just the basics: free OTA (all 3-4 channels, lol) supplemented with Netflix, media streaming, and a healthy supply of Blu-ray discs.

Also, evening walks, relaxing with a book, and getting some stuff done around the house :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think I could do it between the beginning and end of the NFL season, filling with disc purchases, (legal) downloads, DVD loans from friends, OTA and Youtube. Not much drama, comedy, suspense, action or sci fi left on network or specialty that interests me; news is available online in a more convenient form, as is weather.

Football is the final frontier and once Netflix or XBox or one of the other stealth cablecos starts offering Sunday Ticket straight up without making me buy tiers of programming I don't want, I might join you in going off the coax.

·
Registered
107 Posts
way to go!

glad you guys are catching on quickly. i rely on public libraries for new DVDs, it's friendly to the environment. dump your cable bills!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I love the NFL too but I don't like it like a religion like a lot of people do. The NFL really is a boring league, most of the games are borefests. Hey you do know what they call the NFL ? (No Fun League) LOL. Fits it perfect.

I could not go without my cable though sorry guys, dumping cable isn't in the cards for me, I love my TV too much.

·
Registered
694 Posts
There's nothing to go at so just relax dude lol. It's just football. If you have read and took in my entire post you would have seen the part where I say "I love the NFL too" .

Just take a deep breathe & relax.

·
Registered
694 Posts
With the way the economy is in the US with millions losing their homes & out of work, it's no wonder you don't see the big cable/satellite operators in the US losing huge amounts of customers but I don't see it there unless someone has figures. Here in Canada it isn't that bad, not even close to the US situation so I don't see people dropping cable/satellite anytime soon in droves but your right van der Decken it is priceless.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The deed is done. Funny thing is they never asked why or if I'd be willing to reconsider. I thought they might transfer me to a retention rep, do some damage control or "exit interview" type stuff. But nope. Maybe they only do that if you're switching to a new provider entirely. They are still getting my phone and internet business, so I guess they can afford to lose my cable subscription revenue.

Now, anyone have a set of bunny ears they wanna get rid of? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts