Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Yaamon, I thought you were a Canon guy. You moved to Nikon?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
David, noo still a Canon guy

I'm still a canon guy and keeping all my gear.

The kids are taking photography in high school this semester and my daughter next semester. The 7D and 5D II maybe a little too big and heavy for them to use all the time. The wife and kids use my camera at family dinners but it's big and heavy.

My wife used to take casual photos, waaaay back in the 80's. Back then I bought her a minolta 7si with a few minolta and sigma lens. When my brother bought a sony dslr and he told me that it can use all minolta lens I gave all my lens to him.

I bought this camera for them to use and for the times I don't want to carry around the bigger canon.

I was going to get the 60D, but its basically the same sensor as the 7D and it has no ma.

I always wanted to try Nikon and when I read the D7000 specs I said this was the time to try one.

I really like the image quality of the D7000 and I think once they get down to why and solve the D7000 back focusing it will be a great selling camera.

My daughter and her friends just went to a semi dance last Friday and I wanted to use the D7000 but I did not have it back from service so I used the 5D II.

In the hour I took 148 photos. I took lots of candid and fun photos for them. I made a cd with all the photos for her 5 friends.

Here are a few, I turned my living room into a mini studio.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Ahhh. Nice to know that you didn't move to the dark-side :D :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yaamon....careful posting pics of young ladies up on the web like that, I know it's your daughter and friends, but in light of all the craziness in the world today. Look at the FB page that was setup for the daughter of the Ottawa Senators assist coach, nutcases defaced it with nasty pics :rolleyes:

Nice pics by the way of young, bright ladies. Yeah stay with camp Canon :)

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Lima thanks for the safety concern, can't be too carefully these days.

Definitely will be staying with the Canon camp too many $$ invested in flashes and lens.

Those yahoo at Nikon still have not figured out my camera yet. On Tue the rep asked me to ask if I can send some sample photos so see if its a user error.

I called him upset asking does this mean that the tech can;t see a problem. I asked is he a jr tech? :d

I told him I'm not a new dslr user, and I said all the tech has to do is take some pictures wide open with the lens and you can clearly see its back focused.

I sent him some samples of the tests I did wide open showing good focus with the -8 adjustment with the lens wide open.

I told them I expecting back the camera tomorrow and if they need more time I said this tell me Nikon is not capable of fixing the camera and I want another replacement.

Chris C, dont even mention stuck pixels as I have not done any video tests with the camera yet. I think I might scream hopefully not like a woman. :p More like shout with frustration if I get back the camera and it has stuck pixels in the video mode.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally success from Nikon service.

Nikon serviced called me this morning to say that the camera is ready for pickup if I liked.

I drove over lunch time and got the camera and the three lens.

Now the 35mm and 24-120 F4 vr all focus with 0 fine tune.

The kit lens 18-105 still needs -8. This I can live with.

Makes me wonder how two lens are dead on now and the kit still off?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gordon Gordon :)

Makes me wonder, I will borrow my friend D700 that I previously tested my 24-120 on his camera that needed 0 fine tune.

If the lens on his D700 nows needs a adjustment Nikon will not be happy when I'm done with them. :p

Hopefully that was not the case.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yaamon- anything further on your D7000 adventures? This camera is now in my list to consider, and am interested in your experiences.

I have some older Nikon lenses which should work with the D7000 in a limited manner as far as I can tell - 50mm F1.4, 105 F2.5, zoom. No autofocusing and limited exposure automation, but they are excellent lenses and it is a lot cheaper than buying new ones!

Have you (or anyone else?) used the HD video capture? How did you like it?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Really like the D7000

After the service the camera focusing is now spot on. The focus is so fast and accurate I can take the camera up from a table and press the shutter and it can acquire focus and take the photo in a second.

The more I use this camera is the more I like the image quality that comes from it.

I love the skin tones, it seems to be smoother and cleaner than the 7D, Very similar looking to the 5D II.

Would I recommend to a friend definitely.

Here are some samples with the kit 18-105vr lens from a family dinner. My cousin and niece. Used the sb700 flash and no other post processing was done other than resize and resharpen. All photos was taken in raw and converted to jpeg.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Taken with the 24-120 F4 vr

All the photos was taken at iso400 and at F5.6. The colors, contrast and detail are very good with the D7000. They did a excellent job with this new sensor. The only negative I can say about this camera is the little buffer. It's a waste for Nikon to put 6 fps and have only a 15 picture buffer. The canon 7D can do 150jpegs before the buffer needs to write to the card.

If you use the camera in a normal way then the buffer is good enough for most people. I do not have any real negative to say about the D7000. I would like the option for the back lcd to stay on to display my camera settings like on my canon camera's, especially when I turn it on so I can see the setting rather than have to press info on the back of the camera.

I really hope the replacement for the D700 is not as good as this as my wallet will be feeling the pain as I would be real tempted to get one and the 70-200 F2.8 vr ii.

I hoping Canon will release some info on the replacement for the 5D II to keep me from those dark thoughts. lol. Atleast the 7D auto focus features and sensor similar to nikon that you can pull and lift shadows with no noise. Then canon would have me back as the next customer.

I can't believe how accurate the nikon focusing seems to be, and they are only using cross type sensors at F5.6. While the canon is F2.8 at center with a fast lens.

I have not had one miss focus yet with this camera. The persistent service at nikon paid off.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yaamon - thanks for the updates! Glad to hear it is working well for you.

Have you tried the 1080p video capture, or the Live View?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Video and live view

I have not shot any live view other than when I was testing the camera focus.

Since the focus is dead on I have complete faith in the af that there is no reason to use live view focusing. Same accurate focusing I have with the 5D II and 7D, well I did have to send them both in once to have them calibrate the AF.

I have only shot one hd video with the D7000, my daughter playing grand t on the ps3. Did not notice any hot pixels but then again I was not looking out for it.

The video came out well. I dont really shoot video often but I guess I should consider it more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yaamon:

Lots of info in this thread.

Just bought a D3100, as my first ever DSLR, and will use what I learn from here to better my skills.

Lots of information and tip/tricks here... thank you.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Enjoy the 3100

The latest of camera from nikon with the new cmos sensors are very good.

The 3100 is a big improvement over the 3000 and I think a better camera than the T1i.

The quickest way to learn is to take, take, and take pictures and then look and see how could I have made this a better picture and remember.

I shoot all my outdoor pictures in Av mode, this way I can control the depth of field. I increase the iso to increase shutter speed as needed.

For indoor flash use I use manual. My setting are usually F5.6 @1/60th at iso400, if I need more back ground light I increase iso to 800.

A tip for shooting in low light. Increase the iso no matter how high to get the shutter speed you need to stop motion blur. It's better to have a noisy picture that you can always clean up in post processing than photos thats clean and blurry.

If you got the kit you should consider the nikon prime 35mm F1.8 lens. A fast lens with good picture quality.

I took this of Chantal K at iso 3200 with the 5D II they only had the yellow stage lights.

ISO6400 to get shutter speed at 1/125th.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yaamon/5107963997/meta/in/set-72157625100766975

·
Registered
725 Posts
The latest of camera from nikon with the new cmos sensors are very good.

The 3100 is a big improvement over the 3000 and I think a better camera than the T1i.
...and that from a Canon guy! Makes me want to go buy the D7000 even more. Nice shots of Chantel. Always wowed by your pics, shot with Nikon or not, Yaamon.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yaamon - at the start of this discussion, you mention testing your lenses for focusing accuracy.

What are you using to check the focusing? Where did you get it?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Focus test chart

http://focustestchart.com/chart.html

What I do is use a inclinometer from my the big C band days as a installer and set the chart at 45' to the camera.

I place the camera on a tripod and shoot wide open and test all focal length if you are testing a zoom. Shoot in Av mode and increase iso to get a fast shutter speed I use at least 1/160th of a sec.

Use the center focus point to focus on the line. Set the tripod at a distance you normally shoot from. I usually test from about 5 to 7 feet away.

Here is a photo from last year testing out the 70-200 F2.8 IS II.

After Im done with the indoor tests for normal distance I would go outside and shoot the car license plate across the street and I expect it to be as sharp and in proper focus

@70mm

@200mm

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
100% crop view of the last photo

A proper focusing lens and camera should focus properly at all focal length and distance.

I have read on the web where many owners of a zoom lens thinks it's normal for a zoom for the focus to be out at one end. This is not true as none of my lens do this. Some even think that its normal for a zoom to focus fine at a certain distance and slightly off at another, again this is not correct.

If any of my lens or body does not pass, I would continue to send it back for warranty till they get it right.

I had to send in a canon 28-135mm twice for them to get it right. The lens would focus properly from 28-70mm and from 100-135 would slightly front focus.

Silly canon tested the lens at 50mm and sent it back no fault found. When I got back the lens I called them and cuss them off and said clearly if the tech read the service work order it said from 28-70mm the lens focus fine.

Canon apologizes and said please send it again, I made a request do not send me back the lens until you call me and tell me what what done to the lens. They called and said a adjustment was made and the lens is as perfect as they could get it. I tested it and yes it focus dead center at all focal length.

Had a issue with the tamron 17-50mm F2.8 had to send that in 3 times but the tech Kevin was able to get it right. Each time the lens got better and the 3rd time I sent in my 50D at 0ma and the lens came back dead on at 0ma. before it needed a -7 to correct focus and at certain distance the lens was off.

Good luck.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts