Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so disappointed last week when Henry's and Blacks got a small shipment of D7000 and I was wondering what the heck why the store I deal with have not gotten their stock yet.

I had to calm myself down this week at night by drinking a glass of red wine. :D

The store finally called this afternoon to say they got some D7000. They ordered 24 camera and got 6.

I forgot to ask was my other stuff there too while I was on the phone.

While I was there picking up the D7000 and the 35mm f1.8 I asked my sales guy any news on extra battery, the 24-120 F4 VR and the SB700 he said no stock yet.

A few minutes later the owner Royce walked out and said was one of the 24-120 F4 VR lens for me. :)

So I'm charging up the battery and hope to test this new toy out, already inserted a new 32G class 10 card.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Nice new DSLR, let us know how you like it / how it works.
A 32gb card eh? Wow I am behind the times with my 4gb cards

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yaamon,

Are u ditching the Canon Stuff? I thought you were a EOS guy? What's the story?

Peter

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Peter

Still keeping all my Canon gear. Love my 5D II and 70-200 F2.8 IS II combo.

The D7000 is for my kids and wife to use since it's a bit smaller and lighter than the 5D II and 7D.

I will also use it when I don't want to lug around a larger camera.

Read the big thick manual, have to get used to the nikon menu and buttons layout.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Welcome to the Nikon group. Pretty soon you will be switching everything.
Man, just look at all those beautiful lenses !

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Nice choice. And that 35mm f1.8 is an essential piece of kit for any Nikon DX. I bought one a year ago for my D300s as a compliment to my 18-200 VRII, but have found that the 35mm stays on my camera 99% of the time for my shooting style and subjects. YMMV.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm impressed with the 35mm

I just tested all 3 of my lens and find out they all need to fine tune to -10. the body is back focusing. Should I send in the body to Nikon and have them calibrate it back to 0?

I can live with the out of tolerance since I can adjust the lens, what do you guys think.

Here is a sample photo with the 35mm @F2, my daughter watching tv after I fine tuned the lens to -10.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just tested all 3 of my lens and find out they all need to fine tune to -10. the body is back focusing. Should I send in the body to Nikon and have them calibrate it back to 0?

I can live with the out of tolerance since I can adjust the lens, what do you guys think. ...
Why shouldn't the Nikon Service Center get to know & love you as well as the Canon one? Now that you're leaning towards the Dark Side Luke you might as well evaluate how slow & obstinate their service is too!

Seriously now, if you have to adjust all your lenses to -10 (and that is a significant amount in the MA range) and it does appear to be a body problem I would send it in and get it fixed under warranty.

Besides, it would be a fitting companion to your XTi thread ;)

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gordonb, you are busting my chops. :)

The Nikon is mainly for the kids and the wife. So hopefulyl I can remember this and lay off on any new lens for the nikon.

I like the picture quality that comes out from the D7000. I just have to keep those darn thoughts out of my mind I do NOT need that 70-200 F2.8 VR II lens and the 24-70 F2.8.

Then I say to myself I have a 70-200 F4 IS that I no longer use I can sell and add some $$ for the nikon.

Think the only lens I might add is the sigma 8-16 for the nikon.

Will continue to use my 5D II until the replacement and if no replacement next year fall I might have to slip down that path for the D700 replacement.

I spoke to my friend that knows the marketing manager at Nikon. I knew his brother he used to be a big guy at ATI and he said that the D7000 should not need that much adjustment for a new camera.

Will call on Monday and see if they can turn around the camera within a week. Any longer I will give it to my friend, friend and have him give it to his service dept as its not fair to wait more than a week.

Gordon you just know how to rub salt in my wounds and had to remind me of the nightmare I had with canon and my xti. How I got to know the service manager. :D

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
docted, I know what you mean. :p I think Canon can cure my nikon thoughts if they announce a replacement for the 5D II with features of the 7D soon.

I have to hold off with the camera purchase hardware for now.
I'm going to order some strobe stuff next week and ship to the hotel in the states. I normally go to the states for the their Thanksgiving weekend sales. I'm planning to buying another strobe a genesis 400 this time to add to my other 2 strobes. Also a photoflex 5'foot octdome, full heavy duty back ground stand that can extend 12 feet wide, some muslin background and some other accessories.

I already bought 4 phottix atlas trigger. They are a clone of the pocket wizzards. I played around with it. Will end up using this at the family dinners in Dec. My brother that lives in Miami and sister family from BVI will be here.

I bought a 32G class 10 card and since the camera has two slots I'm tempted to buy another to make use of the other. :)

I have to resist, as this month when I usually go to the states for Black Friday weekend I'm ordering 2 32g Transcend 600x card for the 7D.

I currently use a 533x 32g card in the 7D and have 2 sandisk extreme III 32g 30meg/sec and a Extreme 45meg/sec 8 gig card.

This card in the 7d can take about 500 photos continuous before the buffer is full. Plus it can flush the buffer in about 6 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqi6BWOyX-U

I can do some good sports shooting with the 7D.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh No Nikon service

I called Nikon service this morning and I explained the issue that I would like the D7000 calibrated that all three new lens needs to fine tune about the same -10.

She said that they currently do not have any software to fix the camera as its new, but suggested I bring it in with all my lens. I said what for, you just told me Nikon does not have any software? :(

She said maybe they can do something else. I said what is the point I bring in the camera and the service guy going to end up fine tuning my lens that I did already.

I said listen I'm a Canon CPS member and know from experience there is a issue with the body if all three lens are out the same. I said being a brand new camera how long would this take she said a rush request would be a week.

I said can you guarantee that if I bring in my camera that it won't sit for a week and then tell me sorry we don't have software to calibrate the D7000. She said no she can't say what they would do.

I called my sales guy and explained, he said would speak to the Nikon service manager and see what he suggests. I said I don't want to return it and have you guy stuck with one less camera since they were short shipped. He said they are all sold out of their 6x D7000 anyways.

I will wait for his call and see what he recommends.

I don't mind sending it in for service if they can fix it within a week.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nikon service update

Around 12pm the sales guy from the store I bought my camera from called me back to say he spoke to the service manager at Nikon Canada(Amanda).

He gave me her number and said to speak to her directly as she would be expecting my call. He said she told him that Nikon just got software to calibrate the D7000 camera.

After the call I jumped into my car and headed over to Nikon in Mississauga. When I was on the 401, Amanda called to explain.

She explained that her service dept will be able to look on my camera issue today and if they can't have it resolved if they could have till tomorrow. I thanked her and said I'm actually on my way over with the camera and 2 lens.

Hopefully I have good news tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Gees thats rough, you would think that a 10 point adjustment was a big deal. Its not like it was + - 1.
Hope they get every thing fixed for you.

Thankfully not had any issues with my DSLR's (knock on wood)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

I worry about the 32 GB card though. 4GB usually give me 1,000 JPEG med-res (about 8MP pics) at ISO 3,200. If the card corrupts mid-way, you may lose every pics.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
24mm with 1.5x sensor factor, it's not wide at all. I personally won't go anything higher than 17 or 18mm as a starting point.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gordonb did you put a hex on me? :)

Gordon do you have a magic ball that can read the future. lol Well the guy at the service counter at nikon recognizes me, that is a bad thing. lol

A follow up.

I got my D7000 with the kit 18-105vr new a few weeks ago with the 35mm f1.8 and the 24-120 F4 VR.

After a few shots I noticed that all the photos were soft.
I went into my basement and setup my focus chart tests. I test it the same way as all my canon gear with 100% accuracy.

The chat is placed exactly at 45' and verified with a inclinometer. Camera on tripod and used a decent shutter speed. Same way Nikon tests their gear.

Nikon supplied this test photo and it looks good but I wonder did they fine tune it to get proper focus?

The first camera needed a -10 to correct focus on all 3 lens. I tested the 24-120 F4 VR on a friend D700 and it required 0 fine tune.

I had my sales guy call the service manager at nikon. The service manager said to drop it off and they would look on it right away. Apparently they did not have the tools/software to service the camera so they exchanged the camera.
I got a brand new replacement and did some test. Oh crap its soft again and after my usual focus test the replacement camera need a -8 to correct focus on all 3 lens.

I called back nikon service manager and she refers me to one of her service staff that would look after me. I asked him what is the deal the 2nd camera is just as bad as the first. That camera is also off too and needs a -8 for all 3 lens. He said to bring it in and they can calibrate it as they have the correct software and tools now?

He offered to exchange it again and I said I would rather they calibrate than they keep exchanging the camera.

So last week I drop off the camera with all 3 lens so they can check it with my lens if needed. I called today and asked what is the repair status and they said it would be ready this afternoon. Great news, I asked what was done to the camera. He said they adjusted focus and tested.
Clearly it states on service all lens need a -8 which means the body is at fault.

I quickly drove across town to get the camera and they supplied a Nikon test photo.Similar setup as what I do camera on tripod and chart is angled at 45' to the camera.

Looks good they used a 50mm f1.4 and its focused dead center but they used F2.8 but still focus looks centered.

As I mount the lens on the camera I see the Af still set at -8 and thought maybe they did not reset to 0 after the calibration. So I set the lens back to 0 and did my tests chart shots.

Oh crap the camera is still back focusing and need a -8 to correct focus. That means the tech did nothing and I will be calling the service manger in the morning.
I'm going to have her(the service manger) explain to me how can my service shows they adjust focus if nothing has changed that all my lens require the same -8 as before.

My 24-120 F4 VR adjusted to -8

I posted this on dp review and some hard nuts nikions are saying that is what the fine tune is for, all is good.

Guess in their eyes it's normal to have a camera that can't be calibrated even from service to the zero mark.

Now it looks like tomorrow morning I will AGAIN be going to Nikon and speaking to the service manager to ask why they cannot calibrate my D7000 that it requires zero fine tune when they are many other D7000 that perfect.

I bet Canon saying Yaamon go get Nikon and let them know how rough you treated us too. lol

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yaamon, I'm watching closely your saga with the D7000 because I seriously consider upgrading to the D7000. I don't know if your D7000 issue is a rare isolated case or a more wide-spread "early-adopter" problem, which will definitely make me hold off my upgrade plan. I hope Nikon puts better effort in to fix the problem. Does Nikon know you're going to post the progress on public forum? Appreciate your time posting the progress (and also your pics on the other thread).

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CHrisCHu :)

Hi Chris, well I sent a email to the service rep this morning after it was shipped off via purolator on nikon account.

I sent him a detailed email saying that I know for a fact another D7000 owner has sent in his camera for the same issue.

I have been pm this owner on the dpreview board. He has the exact same issue back focusing and all his lens worked properly on his D90. I gave him the guy I was dealing with. He told them he needs the camera back by today as if it's not fixed he will return it back to blacks for a full refund tomm.

I mention to the nikon rep I have been posting and there are other owners in the gta area waiting for my outcome to send it in for service or return for full refund.

I mention don't be surprised if your rma service dept in the next few weeks get some D7000 returned from dealers because of back focus.

Other have been pm me and watching the status if nikon can calibrate the camera.

I did a post on dp the other day, on how I borrowed my wife nephew D90 and nikon 24-70 F2.8 and 50mm F1.8 and all those lens that focuses properly on his camera. Slap the lens on the D7000 and it needs to fine tune -8 for the 24-70 and -12 for the 50mm.

I tested my 24-120 F4 VR on his D90 and its dead on.

I have been reading lots of people are unhappy with bad stuck pixels that is noticeable during video. I have not shot any video or tested for that.

Its seems with the canon camera the user can map out stuck or hot pixels. I for a fact have done this to my 50D, 7D and 5D II.

Not sure what is the secret why Nikon wont leak or tell the customer what to do. They rather you send it in.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts