Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of the kludgey batch files and windows scheduling issues or even trying to figure out windows backup or some over-the-top program that does everything. I end up downloading this tiny app to back up my work files to another drive. I can quickly check it to see the status of the copy, when the next one will occur and it creates a log. It is dead simple, uses 3MB memory and never complains even if the files are open. In fact I have never even noticed it working.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Can I assume that you used SyncToy and found this superior?

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never saw SyncToy. I will try it out. Hmm it is a Microsoft Power Toy. That just might work too. I like the "contribute" option.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I use Windows Home Server for daily backups but I use SyncToy to sync media files between various devices.

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am testing SyncToy for a few days. If all goes well it should kick in at 2AM and copy a few GB of data.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Paragon software is offering a free 3-user license of their "Backup & Recovery 10 Suite" software until April 22nd. "Like" them on Facebook to get your license (the "GIVEAWAY!!" link).

Haven't tried it myself so I don't know how good it is. But it's probably better than anything Windows gives you.

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well SyncToy did not run last night. Scheduler reports "Could not start". I think it might be a password issue. Although none of my other tasks have passwords this app specifics says it may not run without one. Sigh. Some days I just wish things would work on the first attempt. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why can't it just work

Well I have just about given up on SyncToy as I am not able to successfully run a scheduled task. I have tried with a password, without a password but it still does not work. Sometimes it says "could not start" other times "error" now I get a 0x1 code. Which I will have to look up. I also read that the -R switch is problematic. The path has to be in quotes, the switch not in quotes and the filename in its own set of quotes. What were they smoking when they programmed that software? Forums are full of people with the same issues.

I say select "only run if logged in". Still no joy. Manually it runs like a charm.

Also if it requires a password does that mean when I change my account password I have to go and edit the properties for each scheduled SyncToy task?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have been successfully running it on my laptop to sync seven folder pairs with my desktop. The Scheduled Task action command specifies the path and program name is quotes and the -R switch not in quotes. Triggers are defined for log on and workstation unlock, i.e., single task with multiple triggers. It requires the log on password, and it is configured for Run whether the user is logged on or not. The Last Run result is always (0x1).

Is it possible that at the time the scheduled task runs that the destination files are not available? Have you looked at the SyncToy log (File, View Log)?

·
Super Moderator
11,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Last Run result is always (0x1)
Yes that is what I see. But when I look at the file dates they are not reflecting the updated files. So I assume task ran but did nothing. Yes I inspected the log file. What a mess that is.

I think the issue is I am logging into a domain. However I don't want it to run if I am logged off. Normally I lock my work station. I have shares which other access and contribute to.

I am also running this at the volume level. Meaning an entire volume is ECHOed into another volume. I.E. J: ECHO to K:. I have read that that can cause issues.

Thanks for the tips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts