Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who likes Figure Skating:

Skating Championships (on CBC) 2010/2011

CBC transmitted Friday Oct 29, 2010 / Sat Oct 30 1-3PM & 4-6PM/ Sun Oct 31 5-7PM - OTA in HD (Ottawa), Skate Canada Figure Skating

Nice performances - Live from the (new) Kingston, ONT. K-Rock Center arena.

And more coming ... Nov. Dec. and in 2011 from other locations around the World!

"50 hours of Coverage on CBC, some on CBC Bold ... etc."
(See the CBC internet web site broadcast schedule for details)

(I recorded some of the figure skating over this weekend... SD ... off Cable)

ASIDE ... At the GYM
And then during the day Saturday, I was at the Gym in the afternoon, on a treadmill, getting some exercise ... 8 screens in front of me, and they had TWO (2) Screens close together on the same channel with TSN Poker (!) around 4-5PM, and one screen on City TV Toronto with some continuous infomercial about ladies BRA's, and one screen on CBCNW news, and another screen on CNN.

[ ok ... news is acceptable @ GYM ... but Poker? 2 screens?, same channel, almost side by side with POKER ? Poker is a card game ... why is that even on TSN ? a sports channel? ]

And I asked them at the gym desk:

"I know that CBC local is transmitting, right now, some really nice figure skating ... would it be possible to switch ONE Screen to that?"

Desk at GYM: "NO WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE ANY OF THE CHANNELS"

Oh my goodness... I can not believe how messed up things are.

When they don't wanna put something nice like that on at least ONE screen at the gym. Rules rules rules ...

Such sillyness.

Nay I say anymore.
2 screens of the same POKER, side by side at the GYM ( ? ! ) ... on the TSN Sports Channel ? ... what is this world coming to?

Back on Topic:

In any case ... the Figure Skating on CBC in HD is very nice visually and very entertaining to watch.

Thanks to CBC for all the professional Figure Skating coverage ... with professional commentary ... and for transmitting OTA in HD Digital in Ottawa, ch 4-1. (maybe elsewhere in Canada too ... OTA HD digital ?)

(also transmitted SD on analog Cable ch 8 Ottawa, and OTA analog 4 in Ottawa also I believe. Many ways to view the Figure Skating ...)

(not sure ... maybe Digital Cable SD/HD too ? Probably on satelite too, various providors ... CBC - is a Canadian national broadcaster various channels, is available many places in Canada ... and maybe elsewhere round the world.)

{ CBC = Canadian Broadcasting Corporation }

·
Registered
725 Posts
Watched a bit of it on Sunday on CBC HD (OTA Vancouver). Picture quality was as normal HD should. The reason I mention picture quality is that in the past, CBC HD almost always had messed-up HD quality on Figure Skating events and most other CBC Sports footage (excluding HNIC, which was also sometimes messed-up HD as well).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Its probably because many events on CBC (especially amateur sports) aren't produced in HD. That and the fact that sometimes CBC doesn't bother to get the HD feed for events taking place in Europe because it isn't worth the money.

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^^^
When CBC sports covered the Canada event of the figure-skating championship series with worse picture quality than the event at Japan, that's no excuse. Same when some daily recap coverage of the Commonwealth Games in India had worse picture quality than the rest of the coverage at the same stadium.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2011 / 2012 ISU Grand Prix Figure Skating

The 2011 / 2012 Season - ISU Grand Prix Figure Skating is on.

Held in various countries during the season.
International figure skating events with skaters from various countries.

I find these events entertaining and nice to watch - visually and musically.

ISU Grand Prix Cup of CHINA currently showing.
One seen last night on Vision TV - a cable channel.
(Rogers Analog ch 95 in Ottawa, seen Tues Nov 8, 2011 9-11pm EST)

VISION TV channel:
(seen on Rogers Analog Cable ch 95 in Ottawa)
"Mondays and Tuesdays 9PM Eastern / 6PM Pacific from Oct 31 - Dec 12, 2011"

http://www.visiontv.ca/shows/grand-prix-of-figure-skating/

CBC and CBC Bold:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/broadcast/

CBC main broadcast & OTA channels - sometimes seen Sat/Sun afternoons.
CBC BOLD - CBC digital channel (?) - probably lots of various times during the week.

... must check your local schedules ... I guess.

I'm guessing may see some on other channels / other networks as well at various times - example the U.S. networks, for sure.

Enjoy - nice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can't watch Figure Skating on the USA networks. Their commentaries drive me nuts! And also the Canadian channels show more interesting skaters that aren't from Canada.

I also couldn't figure out why Skate Canada was on CTV/TSN and the rest of the Grand Prix is on the CBC channels?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Skate Canada International, and the Canadian Championships, are sold in Canada by Skate Canada (the organization). The other ISU Grand Prix events, the 4 Continents and the World Championships are sold by the ISU. CTV/TSN bought the domestic package; CBC bought the ISU package.

It had worked like this for a few years in the mid-2000s until CBC bought both package over the past couple seasons.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had some time and watched the 2nd hour on Vision TV channel on Tuesday night, between 10 and 11 pm. Mens single. Great.

So it seems to be on:

Monday and Tuesday:
Vision TV channel - Mondays and Tuesdays 9-11 pm EST till early December.
(digital or analog cable channel - depends on your area)

Wednesday and Thursday:
CBC Bold - Wednesdays and Thursdays Midnight - 2 AM (?) EST (till ?)
(digital tv channel)

Saturday:
CBC main network - seems like Saturday afternoon starting round 1 PM
(broadcast OTA or of course probably via cable or digital)

Sunday:
NBC - I noticed one listed on the TV Guide on last Sunday Afternoon at 2 PM EST

AngelaV said:
I can't watch Figure Skating on the USA networks.
I haven't watched it yet myself this year on NBC ... but I found the NBC coverage and commentary of the Vancouver Winter Olympics last time round quite good and I liked NBC's coverage and commentary better than Canadian network - CTV's (!) alot of the time. (CBC always seems to do a very good professional job covering these sorts of sport events).

NBC should be quite ok ... I think - I guess just a matter of taste.

Anyway ... I included NBC and Universal sports cause I know we probably have many U.S. members on the Digital forum - and to try and give an idea where all the coverage is ...

Seems like they're sharing coverage, various days, amoungst various channels and networks. That is a good thing ... cause there is probably lots to cover ... and one network or channel can't do it all... and that way, for someone who's really interested - have lots of times and options to view it, depending on when you're free or have free time.

Or you can record or PVR the whole thing or parts ... and enjoy it that way.

Anyway ... enjoy - it's nice and entertaining.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
mrvanwinkles you probably dont know this 'cuz you're in the East but NBC tape delayed the Olympics but CTV didn't. So if we'd watched NBC here in Calif. we couldnt have seen anything for three hours!! So we watched CTV!

BTW we're having the US Figure Skating championships here in San Jose again but probably tehre wont be a SJ winner this time. :) I dont know if any CDN station will show them but I guess you can always watch on NBC.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bayguy,

Yes, the time differences, east to west coast, provide some interesting watching or recording possibilities. They call it Time Shifting ... right?

With a digital cable box there are hundreds of channels, and is lots of choice of stations - across the Continent - to choose from. ( almost - Thousand Channel Universe - we are truly spoiled!)

You were able to watch 3 hours ahead, and live, from CTV the Canadian Station from here in the east.
Your local station out west then showed it from a recording, 3hrs later, at a more "normal" time for the west.

Well, here in the east, I do the reverse. I will tune into a program, watch part of it, or tune in part way, and realize it's really good, and record it or watch it later, late night from some station furthur West.

ex. The AMA - American Music Awards.
I recorded it 3 hrs later off KOMO ABC in Seattle (!)

There is just so much choice, and so many possibilities for watching whatever, whenever now - that your time becomes the limiting factor.

So now, you've got to look for the content you really like, and the times you really like, and you've got all sorts of decisions to make. What do I want to watch and when?

So the guides become very important now - for searching.

Wow - simply watching something on television is become more and more complex.

Enjoy ... Figure Skating - or whatever.

Long live variety and choice.

Cheers way out west there Bayguy ...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
ALL the CTV channels showed the Olympics at the same time, just like CBC used to do! We didn't wait for NBC in California to show them hours after they happened in Vancouver! CTV wasn't "3 hrs. ahead" it was real time! Time shifting is for TV shows, not sports! We will be watching CTV again next summer!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes! I understand about watching sports LIVE being preferable.

However, I will give an example of something else:
I noticed / watched a few of these last season: CBC was re-playing the Saturday Night Hockey game(s) at 1 AM of the same night(!) Broadcast Over the air digital here in Ottawa in HD ! (before the Canadian Digital conversion date of this year - Ottawa already had some stations)

They would condense a 3 hour hockey game into 1 hour, by editing out all the intermissions and commercials and play stoppages etc - but you'd still get most of the action and play of the game!

I found that a really great way to watch a hockey game (on the late shift at work - yes we were allowed.)

So in one hour, you could get most of the 3x 20minute periods of straight hockey.. boom boom boom ... all action.

I did like that way of watching hockey.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Four Continents Competition - Figure Skating

Watching tonight, right now:

On the VISION TV channel.

Tuesday Feb 14, 2012 approx 9PM - 11PM EST

Figure Skating
Four Continents Competition
from Colorado Springs

on Vision TV channel tonight

"Championship Skating on CBC Sports Weekend" was heard.
So ... it's probably on CBC channels too, maybe on other dates and times ... not sure.

Anyway ... it's nice and entertaining, visually and musically.

Canadian and U.S. pairs champions previous performances highlights shown. As well as current performances in this show / competition.

Professional Hosts / Comentators.

Yes - nice to watch this evening.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2012 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships - from Minsk Belarus

On Vision TV channel:

... I think replaying coverage from the weekend from CBC

Last Night:
Monday March 5, 2012 - 9 - 11 PM EST

Coming up Tonight:
Tuesday March 6, 2012 - 9-11 PM EST

Later this week:

On CBC BOLD channel:

Coming up,
Wednesday Mar 7 and Thursday Mar 8
at "Midnight EST / 9 PM Pacific"

Watched the one last night on Vision TV ch - pairs - nice visually and musically. Nice commentary and coverage from CBC.

Thanks.

Nice entertainment and replay on in the evening / during the week on TV.

I was busy on the weekend and did not get a chance to watch the weekend coverage (on CBC broadcast proper? I think? Not sure ... )

Thanks CBC and Vision and Bold for the replays during the week during prime time !

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ISU Figure Skating from NICE, FRANCE - coming.

I am seeing this one coming soon from Nice France:

2012 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
March 26 – April 1, 2012
Nice, France

Skate Canada Broadcast Schedule:

for:
CBC TV
cbcsports.ca [streamed on internet?]
CBC BOLD [CBC specialty channel on ? digital cable ?]
RDS - Reseau des sports - French/Quebec sports channel on cable?

Internet link to broadcast schedule:

http://skatecanada.ca/en-us/eventsresults/competitions/broadcastschedule.aspx

Plus my newspaper printed TV Guide is showing for this coming Saturday Mar 24:
(from the Ottawa Citizen TV Guide insert of last Saturday March 18, 2012)

Ottawa CBC TV, Saturday March 24, 2012, 2PM - 3PM EST
"Figure Skating Championship Preview"

Wondering if VISION TV channel is re-playing any coverage later / evenings ... as they did with some earlier competitions.

Will have to check.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RE: ISU Nice France

Today, Wed Mar 28, 2012 (times here are EST - Eastern)

The Pairs Short program at 3 PM for 1 hour
and
The Ice Dance - short dance program at 8 PM for 1 hour

Seen on CBC main.

WERE AWESOME (!)
Must have been even more awesome, broadcast OTA, Over the air, in HD.
( CBC 4.1 in Ottawa ?)

RDS at 11:05 PM Tonight for 1 hour ? [edit <--RDS was x wrong. It's SRC now. CBC French.]

The schedule is showing something tonight from 23:05 to 24:05 on RDS, Reseau des Sports - French / Quebec Cable sports channel. [edit <--RDS was x wrong. It's SRC now. CBC French.]

( I am guessing/hoping these may be highlights of today's stuff. I am recording this time off RDS tonight - let's see what comes out. )

Similar times again tomorrow on CBC and RDS [edit <--RDS was x wrong. It's SRC now. CBC French.]

Different times shown on BOLD and cbcsports.ca

Check the Schedule (!)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nope. Not on RDS. Dratts.

It was not on RDS / Reseau des Sports, as shown earlier on the on-line internet schedule.

That must have been a typo. I have a screen capture of it from earlier (!)
[ RDS / Reseau des Sports was showing some fights and Poker last night 11pm - till past midnight ]

Now, the on-line Skate Canada schedule:

http://skatecanada.ca/en-us/eventsresults/competitions/broadcastschedule.aspx

... says Radio-Canada at the bottom, where it used to say RDS.

And sure enough, in the printed TV Guide I have from the newspaper shows:

SRC - Société Radio-Canada - 11:00 PM - ? (probably 1 hour) Patinage Artistique
[ Times ? 11:05 PM - 12:05 PM / midnight ? 23:05 - 24:05 ]

[ Radio-Canada = SRC = Société Radio-Canada = CBC French = CBOFT-DT here in Ottawa / Gatineau ]
In Gatineau/Ottawa = Rogers Cable Ottawa Analog 5, { Gatineau, Videotron Cable 3 ? }

Over the Air OTA in Ottawa/Gatineau CBOFT-DT = Virtual ch 9-1 real RF 9 again, I think

Showing same times tonight ... so I'll have to check out SRC, Société Radio-Canada, later on.
[ NOT RDS ... ]

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, AWSOME.

Watching today, Saturday March 31, on CBC.

Patrick Chan - awsome - congratulations.

Carolina Kostner - representing Italy - congratulations, and great performance. Most entertaining. I am glad you won it today. I thought you were most deserving of the win today.

I thought Carolina Kostner gave the best most "Artistic" performance today.
I wonder if she has some serious "dance" background - like ballet or something like that ...

Thank you to *ALL* skaters and competitors. Very entertaining.

Thanks to CBC for all the great coverage during the week.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well we are now into the 2012 / 2013 Figure Skating Season.

But anyway, there was some stuff last weekend, I knew about that, but too busy.

Anyway, there's some stuff today, and this weekend, so here's a quick note:

for: Fri & Sat, Oct 26 & 27, 2012

Looks like there's a Skate Canada ISU event in Windsor Ontario.
And also a Grand Prix Skate America event happening.

Shown, looks like, on TSN, TSN2 (TWO), and CTV and CBC.

I've found these times off some various schedules, but no guarantees, check your local schedules:

Fri Oct 26, 2012 (today / this afternoon and evening)

2-5 PM on TSN - Skate Canada ISU Grand Prix, International Ladies Pairs and Short Program.

7:30 PM on TSN2 (TWO) for 3hours (?)

Sat Oct 27, 2012 (tomorrow)

1PM on TSN2 (TWO) for 3h

4PM on CTV 2h - Skate Canada Int'l from Windsor Ontario

3PM-5PM on CBC - Skate AMERICA - Women's Dance Free Program.

7PM-9PM on CTV - Skate Canada ISU Men's Free Program from Windsor Ont.

... enjoy if you're interested and watch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts