Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TSN/CTV schedule:
https://www.tsn.ca/how-to-watch-stream-2022-fifa-world-cup-tsn-canada-1.1864310

No 4k information. I can't believe some games are on TSN2 for last matchday of group stages while CTV is available and TSN 1,3,4, 5 showing the same game.

Also, some games will be available through FOX regular channel, but Canada always have better commentators.

This is going to the worst World Cup because it's being played in a country that did NOT deserve to host it in first place. Plus, it's being played in middle of Fall!!! I guess the bribe was big enough for FIFA to allow one of the worst countries for human rights to be the host for one the biggest sporting event in the world.

Nonetheless, I am still going to watch all the games and one thing is for sure, GO CANADA GOOOOO.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Fox will have two games a day. Derek Rae and Ian Darke are some of the Fox commentators so they might be better than the world feed we usually get.

Actually, Jack Warner and the rest of those FIFA crooks were pretty cheap to bribe. I don't mind the mid-season World Cup. The players should be a little healthier than they are after the full season.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No 4k information. I can't believe some games are on TSN2 for last matchday of group stages while CTV is available and TSN 1,3,4, 5 showing the same game.
For 4K, most likely no. In the last 5 years, TSN (and SN as well) never broadcast in 4K anything that they do not produce themselves, even if the feed is available in 4K.

With the exception of NFL Sunday and the Olympics if Bell Media holds the right, CTV does not usually broadcast sports independently. It is either simulcast from TSN, or simsub from a U.S. broadcaster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
very sad that in 2022, something as significant as FIFA world cup with Canada qualified (first time since 86) will not be available in 4k either streaming or cable. Looks like it's time to load up a VPN and connect to any other G20 country, every country has a few options I just did a quick google search.

·
Registered
28 Posts
seems we will need to be creative again this time in this country to watch this...looking for suggestions and to what is more popular route.
I don't think I can handle the FOX commentators but curious to quality of the video as they will be in Qatar to record and broadcast. Those new stadiums probably have great setup for TV broadcasting and flying cameras. But maybe BBC commentary and a few others might be better to watch.

Thanks
Paba

·
Registered
732 Posts
I don't see anything about reruns. Given that for most games I'm either at work or in deep sleep (Mountain time zone), how is that going to work if subscribed to TSN streaming? There is no provision for "recording", so unless they broadcast replays later in the day how are people going to watch?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I will be watching on TSN where they use the skilled British commentators. FIFA World Cup 2022 Tournament Schedule | TSN
Are you implying that Derek Rae and Ian Darke aren't skilled commentators? Will John Helm be back for FIFA? He's getting old.

For past World Cups TSN showed a "Match of the Day" in the evening on TSN2 so they'll likely do that again. I assume they'll have all matches on demand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Luke Wileman & Steven Caldwell are set to call Canada's matches. Rest are likely to be called by FIFA's world feed duos of Peter Drury/Alan Smith, John Roder/Casey Stoney, David Stowell/Lucy Ward, Daniel Mann/Andy Townsend, Simon Brotherton/Matt Holland, and Kevin Keatings/Efan Ekoku.

The good is that Drury is available, first time there are duos for all matches & first time there are female analysts including a current NWSL manager and some are the ones you hear on the Prem's world feed every weekend. Thankfully no Helm as while Helm is a legend, at 80, he's past his prime.

An earlier post said they were looking forward to hearing skilled British announcers but I would classify this group as mostly boringly competent. Most of the skilled British announcers are working for private networks in the UK, US & Australia.

The bad is there is no style diversification and weak global perspective as nearly all are British & nearly all only worked in the British football media.

FOX will have 35 matches on their broadcast network - mostly on weekdays as college football & NFL take over the weekends. They have 5 duos with 2 being all Americans, 3 being a mix of British/American and most borrowed from other American or British networks.They have 1 female analyst who does US women's team matches and 1 borrowed from the UK. Unlike 2018, they don't have a Mexican-American announcer.

John Strong/Stu Holden, JP Dellacamera/Cobi Jones, Derek Rae/Aly Wagner, Ian Darke/Landon Donovan & Jacqui Oatley/Warren Barton.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TSN might have the games available in "on-demand games" section.

I personally think after the host country, Toronto is the best place to experience fan fest due to multiculturalism. I've witnessed celebrations from Italians, Portuguese, Greek, Persian, Korean, German, Brazilian, Mexican and ...., but thanks to FIFA, weather wont permit much celebration. I normally drink beer with important games but I cant do that in Winter, so it's Rum/Vodka and coke for me.

So far, Denmark has the best squad intro:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Vancouver has had great multicultural FIFA fan participation. It probably won't be as boisterous without the summer weather or Italy's team, but the usual balmy weather won't deter the fans. Vancouver bars & pubs have been granted special dispensation to be open (without liquor) for the early morning 2am, 5am, 8am (and 11am) games.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've witnessed celebrations from Italians, Portuguese, Greek, Persian, Korean, German, Brazilian, Mexican and ...., but thanks to FIFA, weather wont permit much celebration. I normally drink beer with important games but I cant do that in Winter, so it's Rum/Vodka and coke for me.
Why suddenly it is about you? It is unreasonable to expect the games to be held during northern hemisphere summer as the temperature at the venues would be unacceptably hot. Look at recent Brazil World Cup for example. if your argument is that the tournament was not supposed to be in Qatar in the first place, does it mean that World Cup is reserved for just selected few?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why suddenly it is about you? It is unreasonable to expect the games to be held during northern hemisphere summer as the temperature at the venues would be unacceptably hot. Look at recent Brazil World Cup for example. if your argument is that the tournament was not supposed to be in Qatar in the first place, does it mean that World Cup is reserved for just selected few?
Countries who do not allow couples to kiss in public, no LGBTQ+ rights, drinking is limited should not be hosting the World Cup. Yes, if you can't host it during summer, too bad. Even Sepp Blatter, FIFA's x-president and the reason why Qatar is the host (bribe was big enough for him), admitted it was a mistake making Qatar the host country.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I mean, it probably shouldn't be in places where it's illegal for some of the players and fans to exist there (but don't worry, they promise they won't enforce that right now!), places where migrant workers are treated like slaves and died to build the facilities, and places that only got it due to massive corruption at FIFA, yeah.

This whole thing is a crapshow to rival the Olympics.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
This is going to the worst World Cup because it's being played in a country that did NOT deserve to host it in first place. Plus, it's being played in middle of Fall!!! ....

Nonetheless, I am still going to watch all the games and one thing is for sure, GO CANADA GOOOOO.
You'd want to play in Qatar in mid-summer? The dates make sense even though the rest doesn't.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts