Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Samsung SGH-266 since July 2009.
In July 2010 I got the Vlue pack option that included unilimited web browsing, and it worked well until last week (about October 20 or 21).

Since then, FIDO's network has been recognizing my phone as a smartphone, and insists that I do not have an appropriate data option to browse.

If I buy the 2$ smartphone daypass, it works perfectly - I can surf both within the Rogers WAP site and outside. Without buying a smartphone pass, I can only surf within the Ropgers/Fido site.

If I put my SIM in another non-smartphone (which I did at a FIDO Kiosk with an LG Gossip), I can browse external sites just fine.

I've spent several hours on the phone with FIDO handset support, and they refuse to test another F266 (they are no longer provided withtest phones)-- instead, they just offer me a discount on a new phone. That's a nice gesture, but if I get a new phone, I'll want a 3G one, and right now the 3G phones with FM radio have small screens.

And even if I get a new phone, I'd like to keep my 266 as a backup to use with the same SIM.

The kiosk I was at did not have any demo or refurb 266s for me to try, so I'll have to wait until I can get to the Ottawa Carlingwood kiosk to try one.

In the meantime, can someone with an F266 try to surf the web outside the Rogers portal (for eaxample, click on the Westher link to try to go to the wearther network's WAP site), and let me know if you succeed?

If you don't have a data plan, try it anyway, and let me know if the system offers you a $1 WAP day pass, or a $2 smartphone daypass.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
hmm, interesting. so you say your F226 was compatible with the UMB plan, untill a recent change must have been done, now the fido/rogers network thinks you own a smart-phone, and is now wants to charge you for a data plan? I think you need to verify if the F226 was compatible with the UMB plan in the first place.. do this first and formost, because if it wasnt and you were using it, and the system did not check back then, then you have no grounds, but if it is indeed supported, then the agent will have to open a ticket with the Tech Support departments and they will have to do corrective work in the system.

hope this helps

·
Registered
300 Posts
There's no way the Samsung F266 should be classified as a smartphone. I mean, what feature would make it a smartphone? And if I were you, I would escalate this issue up the ladder with Fido.

However, I'm just curious what kind of deal have they offered you on a new phone? Any reason why you wouldn't upgrade to the Sony Ericsson T715A?
Compared to the F266, the SE has a better camera, quad-band GSM and tri-band 3G, bigger and higher resolution screen.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I figured out what may have happened, Something happened to my phone two weeks ago that cleared its IMEI -- now if I type *#06#, the IMEI reads all zeroes.
The phone is out of warranty, so I don't know wghat I can do to get it fixed. At least I have a credit for a new phone.

Fido says that any of the 2G or non-smartphone 3G phones are eliglible for the UMB plan -- even the the 3G Xenon with the qwerty keyboard. Does anyone have experience with htis phone -- reviews I've read online are mixed. I'd like to get a 3G non-smartphone with a qwerty keyboard AND an FM radio, but there aren't any offered by Fido at this time. Would I be better off with a Sony Ericsson Naite, which is 3G with an FM radio but only T9 input?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, interesting. so you say your F226 was compatible with the UMB plan, untill a recent change must have been done, now the fido/rogers network thinks you own a smart-phone, and is now wants to charge you for a data plan? I think you need to verify if the F226 was compatible with the UMB plan in the first place.. do this first and formost, because if it wasnt and you were using it, and the system did not check back then, then you have no grounds, but if it is indeed supported, then the agent will have to open a ticket with the Tech Support departments and they will have to do corrective work in the system.

hope this helps
I have since figured out that my phone was sending out a zeroed-out IMEI. now the question s -- how did that happen?

I suspect that FIDO will blame the phone, and since it is out of warranty, it will do nothing.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no way the Samsung F266 should be classified as a smartphone. I mean, what feature would make it a smartphone? And if I were you, I would escalate this issue up the ladder with Fido.
I got as far as handset support, and after 2 hours on the phone with them over the course of a week, they were almost going to open a ticket, but instead I got the 50$ credit offer. Now that I've figured out that it is probably my phone, it's probably just as well.
However, I'm just curious what kind of deal have they offered you on a new phone? Any reason why you wouldn't upgrade to the Sony Ericsson T715A?
Compared to the F266, the SE has a better camera, quad-band GSM and tri-band 3G, bigger and higher resolution screen.
That's what I'm thinking. At first I thought I would get a Xenon because of its qwerty keyboard, but the reviews question the reliability of device, plus I'd prefer to have an FM Radio, too.

The downside of the SE is that I've had SE phones before: one of them developed bad audio, and both had problems with SE's proprietary connectors.

In any case, I plan to try out all three Fido 3G non-smartphones with my SIM at a kiosk, and see how they compare.

Any thoughts about whether the Naite or the 715a is better? And will I be sorry to go for a non-qwerty keyboard?

·
Registered
300 Posts
tvlurker: The T715A has a 3 mp camera vs. 2 mp on the Naite. The T715A is also a slider which may or may not be a good thing. I think a simple bar phone like the Naite tends to be more durable.

If you can hold off for a bit, I hear Fido will be getting the SE Vivaz Pro soon. That phones runs the Symbian S60 smartphone os, has a physical qwerty keyboard, 5mp camera, 720p (HD) video, and best of all, is eligible for the UMB plan!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
try doing a reset of your phone, or try paying for a software flash? that could fix it. and since you were happy with it, you dont need to buy another phone, thus saving your mony, but if you get a symbion phone, you will need to pay more for data, thats not what your goal was. right

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try doing a reset of your phone,
Well, a "standard reset all" from the menu doesn't do much (it doesn't touch additional browser profiles, for example.)
I'm actually wondering if a master reset code CLEARS the IMEI, so I'm leery of trying any of the codes floating around the web. That might be what got me in trouble in the first case.

or try paying for a software flash? that could fix it. and since you were happy with it, you dont need to buy another phone, thus saving your mony, but if you get a symbion phone, you will need to pay more for data, thats not what your goal was. right
Paolo is right -- I'm not looking for a smartphone.
I like the idea of unlimited browsing, and the 3G was to make it fast enough to be bearable. I'm not really looking to pay for all the capabilities and the charges of a smart phone. But between the credit and my Fido dollars, it might be a good time to get a 3G phone that's eligible for the unilimited browsing option. But you're right, if I could fix my Samsung, I'd be willing to wait for a 3G non-smartphone with a qwerty keyboard AND an FM radio.

I'm just looking for reasonable browsing while I'm on the bus (reading news sites, checking schedules, etc.) and access to google apps like gmail and google maps. (I find the google apps that I've downloaded to my F266 work better than trying to use the browser for the same functionality. But perhaps at 3G speeds the browser would be OK)

A smartphone with too many capabilities would probably be just too addictive, and I'm not looking for that. :)

EDIT: wait, I just reread GSMFan's post -- if the Vivaz is indeed eligible for the UMB plan, how is it a smartphone? I thought smartphones were ineligible for the UMB plan. In any case, $275 without a contract is too much for me, but I might just bite the bullet and sign up for another two years and get it for $75, if it indeed is eligible for the UMB. (and get the free bluetooth headset, too.)

·
Registered
300 Posts
The Vivaz is one of the exceptions to the smartphone rule. Even though it is technically running a smartphone OS, Rogers and Fido are treating it like a feature phone for data purposes. Meaning it is eligble for UMB. According to info, both Rogers and Fido will be releasing the Vivaz Pro within Q4 (ie. beofre the end of the year). The other exception recently for UMB has been the Nokia 5800, which also runs on Symbian S60, and for which Rogers also made UMB available. I have the 5800, and it's great to get unlimited data for $10. Well, for me it's even sweeter because I have UMB as part of the Value Pack.:cool:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
master clear should not impact your imei.
Thanks. Perhaps it isn't anything I've done, but I'm still not sure how I can get Fido to fix an out of warranty phone.

This Vivax sounds interesting -- maybe I'll just wait for it to grab my credit, so it ill only cost me 30 bucks or so in Fido dollars, which will leave me enough Fido dollars to get another phone for my wife down the road.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
tvlurker - fido is not refusing to fix your phones outside of warranty, they can easily offer to do that, but you will be responsible for any fees that are incurred while its at the service centres, including estimation charges and shipping if applicable.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand. But in the absence of any repair facilities in Ottawa, it's not worth the hassle and expense.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Fido used to have a GREAT Repair facility in St. Laurent Shopping Centre that was also managed by a great individual. But Fido closed them down to save money and from that point on, they ship everything out to third party now. I know what you mean about wanting a repair facility, its hard to find.

GTA is not any better.. :|

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks. Perhaps it isn't anything I've done, but I'm still not sure how I can get Fido to fix an out of warranty phone.

This Vivax sounds interesting -- maybe I'll just wait for it to grab my credit, so it ill only cost me 30 bucks or so in Fido dollars, which will leave me enough Fido dollars to get another phone for my wife down the road.
The Vivaz Pro is now available as per Fido's website.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts