Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some early BF deals I've been thinking about jumping to Fido (Rogers Network) from Koodo (Telus) network. Just wondering if anyone has experienced outages or low speeds on Fido (Rogers) in Southern Ontario?

From as far as I know, they're all on 4G LTE bands and are fast unless I hear different.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
I'm on Rogers and haven't noticed any issues. Also, Rogers is moving to 5G and will be dropping 2G entirely and 3G on 1900 MHz at the end of December. However, performance will often depend on your location, as all carriers have good and bad areas.

On Oct. 30, I bought a Google Pixel 6 from Rogers for $574.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What area do you live in? I'm in Windsor, ON but I drive out in the rural areas a bit.

Fido is having $50 for 10GB, minus $10/month for 15 months at Walmart (so $40/month BYOD for 15 months), as a pre-Black Friday sale. Also good deals on new phones. Full price on their website is 12GB for $50.

I have other choices with the same Plan, on Virgin as well. Of course, Koodo won't give it to me as I'm already a customer. The Source has Virgin with a gift card and the same plan, but for -$10 for 24 months. Seems that there are good deals right now.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
I'm in Mississauga and have 2 Rogers sites that are visible from outside my condo.

Yesterday, a friend was complaining about poor service on Freedom and is thinking about switching.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
It's all about location. Outside of the GTA Rogers coverage can get very patchy, especially in rural areas. I had Rogers through a third party and data was bad, if it worked at all, even in some urban areas. It's been fine since I switched to Koodo on the Telus network.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It's all about location. Outside of the GTA Rogers coverage can get very patchy, especially in rural areas. I had Rogers through a third party and data was bad, if it worked at all, even in some urban areas. It's been fine since I switched to Koodo on the Telus network.
What year was this and was the 3rd party throttling? The last few years I believe the Big 3 are sharing towers and this isn't much of an issue anymore.

Freedom's network has always been some percentage of Terrible.

I agree, never had an issue with Koodo (Telus Network) except when they refused to fix my Tab phone that had no external damage but blamed it on misuse. So if there are better deals out there and everything seems to be at the same level, I'm willing to switch.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
4G LTE looks good but 5G spotty in my city. Looks like the GTA is covered pretty well with 5G.

Coverage Map is on this page:

I expect things will improve as the carriers upgrade their networks to 5g. As mentioned above, Rogers will be making cuts to 2G & 3G soon. I expect they'll be putting equipment that supports both 4G & 5G in the spectrum they had occupied.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
What year was this and was the 3rd party throttling? The last few years I believe the Big 3 are sharing towers and this isn't much of an issue anymore.

Freedom's network has always been some percentage of Terrible.
I expect that may change if Rogers buys Shaw, but I don't know if they'd keep it a separate network or merge it with their own. One issue with that is Rogers runs Ericsson gear and Freedom, Nokia, so that might complicate network management.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
What year was this and was the 3rd party throttling?
That was about 3-4 years ago. Rogers coverage has always been bad in SWO and recent reports say it's not improving outside the cities or the 401 corridor. I believe the service I had was limited to 2G at the time and Rogers had just transitioned from 3G to 4G in some rural areas. Bell/Telus was already 4G and had been for years. Rogers claims to have 5G in London and Windsor but I suspect it's only downtown and for actual Rogers postpaid customers. I gave up on it when I got a new phone and the data speed went from slow as molasses to zero. Most third party discount services I've looked at are now limiting services to 3G. When I switched to Koodo it went from 2G to LTE for less money.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Decided to go to Virgin. Good idea as I noticed I have more bars in my house and the Voice was clearer when I took a call. Guess Bell beats Telus around here.

Anyway, whatever. $40 for 12GB ($50 - $10 for 15 months + $50 Gift Card), Unlimited Talk/Text/Minutes ain't too shabby. Next BF sale I'll look for better before the $10 rebate expires. Kind of sucks as the rebate was for 24 months as of yesterday, the terms are changing every day.

1000 INT LD minutes a month I'll never use, but I guess if I get international friends, it's there for me to use.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
@ExDilbert

Given 2G will be dead on Rogers by Dec. 31, I doubt they'd be pushing people onto it. Same with 3G, as they're killing it on 1900 MHz. If 3rd party resellers are limited, it may be due to the deal they arranged rather than a limitation of the Rogers network. As for whether 5G is available in the area, what does the phone indicate? Mine displays 5G when in a 5G area. Previous phones also showed the signal available. I've never had prepaid service, so I can't comment on it. Bell killed off 2G & 3G a couple of years ago, so that leaves 4G as the bottom level.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Virgin and Koodo providers both show "4G+" on my OnePlus 8T. Unsure if my phone is even 5G capable. I'm guessing it's not. I don't care that much to be honest, just want a low monthly payment.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
@JamesK,
I don't think it was always actual 3G in all cases. I've seen some prepaid plans that said 3G speed so it could be throttled speeds on faster networks. Around here, I think it was actual 3G or 2G on Rogers at the time I was on their network. In any event, I've experienced and heard complaints about coverage as well so I'm glad to be off their wireless network.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My buddy's Wife is on Virgin and she measured 75mbps on 4G LTE and mine is 157mbps, a few KM away. I think it varies a lot to what phone you have and proximity to towers.

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
@ExDilbert

As I mentioned, 3rd party resellers may get reduced performance, according to whatever deal they arrange with Rogers.

@Gibsons

Yep, location has a lot to do with it. I get poor coverage in my condo, but if I go outside it's much better. I'm not all that far from 2 Rogers cell sites that are close enough for me to see.

·
Registered
131 Posts
@Gibsons

Yep, location has a lot to do with it. I get poor coverage in my condo, but if I go outside it's much better. I'm not all that far from 2 Rogers cell sites that are close enough for me to see.
And not to forget the cellphone network load factors, both on idle and active transmissions. If there is a high load at a given time in a specific location (and on a specific network, both can be true independently and simultaneously), it becomes more likely that mobile network performance will degrade.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts