Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out how best to wire my house for my fibreop installation, currently my main rogers service is split in the demarc and goes to a few rooms in the house. for fibreop is it:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, that's exactly it. If you wish to hook up your STB with Cat-5, it can't be shared with the Cat-5 for the PCs as they run on separate subnets.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you say the cat5 can't be shared, do you mean i can't run one cat5 from the modem to a switch and then from that switch feed my xbox and the STB?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can take a run from the modem, run it though a switch and only feed STBs from that switch? also when they install the ONT on the exterior of the house, do they use Power over ethernet to power the ont? or do they run a seperate cable to power the ont?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, you can run the STBs from a switch as long as there's nothing else on them.

The ONT is powered by a power supply that is inside the house that just plugs into a standard outlet. A separate line is run from it to the ONT.

·
Registered
187 Posts
From the install I supervised at a friends place, back in April...The technican installed all the equipment inside the house, no equipment was mounted to the outside. I asked the technician about this, and he said they were trying from as much as possible to put all the equipment indoors and mount nothing to the house if all possible. From there they can run cat6 cabling for the set top boxes, internet...or they may use the existing coax for the TV service.

Idealy they run everything next to your electrical pannel...as most have a spare electrical outlet there.

I also had a friend that all they mounted to the side of his home was a small junction box like what Rogers places on homes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is how my neighbor has his installed but my electrical panel is located in a finished rec room with a drywall ceiling in front of it, so my installation will have to be an exterior ONT with a cat6 cable run around the corner of the house and through the exterior wall into an unfinished area of the basement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They can run the fiber around the corner and in through the wall. It has to land on the ONT within 10 ft of entering because the cable is not fire rated.

The ONT does not have to be beside the electrical panel. It does need an outlet to plug into, and depending on where you put the gateway, you may need a power bar.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is quite the amount of white cable slack that is attached to the black fiber cable that does come into the house.

I do recall one of the installers mentioning that they don't have to even run the line from the pole on the same side of the house that your power comes in on...they can run it pretty much anywheres to get the best possible run that works for the both of you.

He went on to mention that one house they had to run it though the side of a windowframe and into the customer's office where they put all the equipment, as the house was brick or stone.

So to sum up most of the installers are pretty easy going and are glad to answer questions and talk about the technology etc..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts