Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the bandwidth limit is for each of the FibreOP internet packages?

Currently Rogers limits me to something like 60 GB/month. Looking for something better.

Matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
FibreOP doesn't cap their respected tiers of internet packages.

However that stated if you look at their Terms of Service/or Acceptable Use Policy it kinda does state there's a threshold of 250 GB for the average household.

That being said I've done at least 2-3 times that threshold almost every month and I've yet to get a phone call from Bell Aliant to tone down my activity.

(below is from Bell Aliants FibreOP Internet Acceptable Use page):

http://productsandservice.bellaliant.net/PS/nb/english/common/termsconditions_fibreop.jsp

As a guideline, in our experience typical residential bandwidth usage tends to be well within the range of 250GB per month. Examples of Internet activities that can contribute to heavy bandwidth usage include downloading movies and streaming videos. For example, 250GB would be equivalent to approximately downloading 50,000 songs, or 570 1 hour TV shows, or 285 standard definition movies or 25 high definition movies.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I am a firm believer that Bell Aliant has adopted the "you can do what you want as long as you don't interfere with others" and with FibreOP the amount of bandwidth they have to play with truly is astonishing.

To that extent one month I've used over 3TB of bandwidth, another over 2TB. For the month of March I used just 1.7TB. (I say just but really that is a lot)

I have yet to get any sort of email, phone call, etc from Bell Aliant.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
^^^^
That kills their arguments for UBB on ADSL.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'll just put my comment in scope a bit more. My belief only extends to Bell Aliant within the Atlantic Canada region.

Bell in Ontario I believe that they want to squash bandwidth usage as much as possible and charge as much as they can for it.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
^^^^
It doesn't matter where, the principles remain the same. Their claims and limits are artificially imposed, with punitive over cap charges.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that beats the pants off stupid Rogers...now if I could just get FibreOP in my area...

·
Registered
73 Posts
lol wow, and i was getting worried i was going to go over my 250gb my first month :p normally i only use 100-200gb a month but downloaded a little extra this month.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The UBB question was put to the senior leaders at a FibreOP 2.0 roll out in Halifax last week and the response from a VP was they have no plans to implement any UBB, but they watch the bandwidth closely and will be more proactive in the future with their acceptable use limits ie 250 GB per previous posting. He said around 80% of the traffic is done by 5% of users. They said they realize it is a competitive advantage to not have it plus Fibreop in of itself is a huge advantage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts