Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with both and know which HD looks better? I normally watch hockey and the odd Discovery or Nat Geo show.

Using a 36" 1080p tv (and planning to go to a 50-55" later this year).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This is the only reason I'm still on Rogers, actually. I found the compression issues a lot worse on FibreOP. Problem seems to be that Aliant sends the same signal to their DSL TV customers, so it has to be very highly compressed for them even though there is boatloads of free bandwidth on the fibre network.

I'm hoping Aliant does something about this in the future because I have everything else through them and would love to switch the last service over given Rogers' total inability to upgrade their network capacity in NB.

You might get more responses if you post in the Bell Aliant forum, or the Rogers Atlantic forum. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I originally posted it in the Aliant forum and it was moved to here :p

Thanks for the information though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Might depends, I just changed over from Rogers HD, to Fibre-Op Tv, honnestly I can`t really complain.

I find that the HD channel are very good, at least theres not a differance enough to bother me, and im on a 55 inch.

Overall I Very rarely get pixelated freeze, meaby 1 sec once a week, do not enough to bother me.

But the Internet is Blazzzing Fast, and I have the 75Mb/s Connection.

So I would recommend.

·
Super Moderator
17,220 Posts
maritimer555, the prices for bundles on FibreOp 2.0 are the same price as the original FibreOp and are listed on the Bell Aliant web site.

We also have a Bell Aliant forum here to discuss the service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FibreOp vs. Rogers

Here in Fredericton at least, Rogers is offering tv/ph/internet, 3 yrs, for $99/mo. Our FibreOp is over twice that. But, how does Rogers compare and has anyone made the switch? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,220 Posts
Beckler, I suspect that the Rogers offer is for basic services only. If you're paying twice that, you are probably getting a lot more on FiberOp like Whole Home TV, more channels, etc.

·
Registered
965 Posts
From a price perspective Rogers will probably beat whatever you can throw at them for pricing from FibreOP. They are trying to keep and acquire customers as much as possible, since Bell Aliant is stealing so many. So for those who operate on a strictly price basis and don't care about the service itself, Rogers is who they will likely go with.

From a service perspective you can't beat FibreOP Internet. Phone is phone. TV is the wildcard.

From a software perspective Bell Aliant's TV platform (Mediaroom) is a generation ahead of Rogers I would say. It's pretty, it generally works fine. If you get stuck with the older equipment it can be a bit slow. If you have a lot of TVs in your house that you want set top boxes on then you may run into a simultaneous HD/SD limit (you can only watch X number of HD streams, there are also limits on recording). Most people don't run into these or schedule around them. Channel availability is changing every month it seems, with Bell Aliant catching up fast and even getting stuff Rogers doesn't have.

As for your HD question... that's complicated. Some people say it looks fine, some people say it's crap. I think it really depends on the TV itself. The channels also matter. It seems as though Bell Aliant is deploying new encoders for new channels which (for the little I watch TV) seems to have improved quality.

Does that help? Not really but it's hard to answer. You have to try it, really. (You can cancel if it's crap for you)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
This is the only reason I'm still on Rogers, actually. I found the compression issues a lot worse on FibreOP. Problem seems to be that Aliant sends the same signal to their DSL TV customers, so it has to be very highly compressed for them even though there is boatloads of free bandwidth on the fibre network.
That's interesting. In Ontario, almost everyone says FibeTV over VDSL has better picture quality than Rogers. Does Aliant use more compression than Bell in Ontario?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I started a new thread in a different forum and it was moved here. I can understand a move, but joining it to some old thread makes no sense, esp. since I wasn't really asking about HD.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
That's interesting. In Ontario, almost everyone says FibeTV over VDSL has better picture quality than Rogers. Does Aliant use more compression than Bell in Ontario?
Possibly. Early on FibreOp seemed to use a lot of it, but I have it again now and the quality is improved. I haven't had Rogers in a while now so I couldn't give a good direct comparison anymore.

Channel selection has improved significantly, and of course there's no comparison whatsoever in the Internet offerings. It's possible to get a discount from Aliant to bring the prices closer, but if you're price sensitive it's hard to beat the $99 Rogers bundle.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Like others have mentioned, the $99 bait price from ROGERS is hard to beat. However, it really is hard to compare the both since they really have different offerings for the same price. Look at the basic price for FO and you will see it is pretty close to what ROGERS has to offer.

Yes FO is a bit pricier than ROGERS but the real attraction of FO is the internet. ROGERS in Atlantic can't even begin to compete with FO. No caps, huge speeds rarely if not ever downtime compared to ROGERS when I was with them, FO won my heart.

TV compression? I haven't seen any unless my laser eye surgery few years back is back firing! It is pretty clean AFAIK. The channels availability has been fast and furious lately so the gap is very narrow.

The only negative point I have with FO are their bundles. They just plainly SUCK. There are a few channels I would like to get but I would have to buy 3 bundles with each channel I would watch but it would cost me $15 more. I am not hurting to watch them that much.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
TV compression? I haven't seen any unless my laser eye surgery few years back is back firing! It is pretty clean AFAIK. The channels availability has been fast and furious lately so the gap is very narrow.
Watch a race, Dan. That's where I see it most easily. Indycar seems particularly bad on Sportsnet in terms of compression artifacts. F1 on TSN isn't as bad, but still noticable.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Right off the bat, aren't those two channels owned by ROGERS? I watch Speedvision and never seen anything out of the ordinary. Would it look different on a plasma vs lcd/led?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the input. I called rogers and to get about the same channels I have now, it will be about 150 incl tax (vs. FibreOp which is about 200 incl tax). Also he said, twice, that the internet connection is "35 megabytes per second". :D Maybe I should switch! Anyway we had rogers before FO, and i'm not eager to keep switching back & forth...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts