Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a somewhat current thread related to extended extended power outages, but did not find one so here we go.

Many in Atlantic Canada just endured a two to 10 day power outage due to Post Tropical Storm Arthur. My power was out over a 10 day period, but my fibre line survived the first 7 days until the tree on my power line was cut down by crews and the fibre was severed.

The ONT is equipped with a 7.2AH battery that lasted the better part of 24 hours. This kept my phone service operational. A quick check of my Actiontec Router showed that its input is 12VDC so I connected it to another 7.2AH 12 volt battery that I had available. Tada... Full phone and Internet during and after Storm Arthur. I did disconnect the router when not in use in order to conserve the battery charge. Then each day, I swapped in a freshly charged 12v battery to keep the ONT operational and kept phone and Internet service for the week.

Clearly, BA kept my Central Office FibreOP (Alcatel-Lucent) equipment powered for the duration and I confirmed full upload and download speeds. Of course, I was likely the only one on our loop.

I am not sure what to think of phone failure in less than 24 hours, but I guess they call that progress. ;)

·
Registered
965 Posts
It's a price I happily pay (only having battery backup for 24 hours for the ONT) for what I get in return, personally speaking.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
My FibreOp phone died the day after the storm. Next door neighbor's copper line phone also died the day after the storm. It was cellphone or bust around here (until the cell reception also started getting bad).

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of putting a UPS on my ONT for just this reason. We lost our power on Saturday morning at 8:30, and sometime overnight on Saturday/Sunday, the beeping from the ONT backup went silent. No more land line. Fortunately, our power was restored on Sunday afternoon so we only went a few hours without home phone service (while we were awake, that is).

Now - will we see another outage like this in the future? I hope not. But I also plan on being even more prepared. I wouldn't care so much about the internet in these extended outages (I say that now... LOL), but if cell service drops out then we NEED to have home phone. This is assuming that the lines are not damaged and there is power to the CO, etc...

@PETER - what batteries did you use to swap out on the ONT? I am also wondering, if the ONT was the only thing powered by it, what would people recommend for a UPS size to get a couple/three days out of our phones?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
even though its RATE for extended power outages to happen, (recalling the ice storm of 2013-14) i know how important it is to have a working phone service, but if u have a cell phone, they work pretty good, you can invest in a 12 volt car charger and that should let u continued use of your cell phone via charging it via your car battery in the event of extended power outage. however its also not guarenteed that cell towers will work, they also run on backup power systems and can easily lose power and you will be SOL untill the cell provider re-fills the generator fuel or replaces the batteries.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are in the direct path of the storm and lines are down, I agree a cell phone is best and a CAR charger is critical. If your charger is USB, just buy a $5 USB adapter for your car. In any case, do it today!!!

If you are just caught in a power outage, keeping your ONT running will provide phone service. To answer the battery question, do a Google search for 12v 7.2AH battery. These can be purchased locally at electrical distributors like Harris&Rooms or Litco, etc. for about $25 each. Four or five batteries will give you a number of days on you ONT. Purchase a modern smart charger and top them up once a month. The same battery will run your Actiontec router, but you will have to make a patch cable. The power cube for my Actiontec provides 12v. The cable from my power cube to the router somehow got severed during the storm ( inside tree fell -hehe) so I crimped on a plug to match my battery cable/fuse holder. Powering the ONT and router gave me phone, WiFi, and Internet during the week following the storm.

As for a UPS. It would be impractical and too expensive to purchase one that would last multiple days. The ONT runs on 12v so it is not efficient to use a UPS to create 120v AC and convert it back to 12 volts. Simply swap in a fresh battery.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Techies could easily use a 12v car battery. People with cottages do this all the time. Well, actually deep cycle batteries are use as they can be drained completely many times, unlike automotive batteries which can get wrecked after 2 or 3.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
My ONT has no battery inside. I still have POTS for a line.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can call BA and ask for an ONT battery, they will do it, as long as you explain that you have battery backup for your other network equipment. I called and asked for it, they dropped one off for me, had to DIY..... <SARCASM>oh dear that was such a hard thing to install.</SARCASM>

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
I will do that. And then you can come to NB for a visit and install it with me. Just a friendly gesture to get you off the ROCK and do a little sight seeing. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put in my own battery. When I changed my plan they switched me to VoIP and I made sure they provided a new Battery. I expect that sooner or later they will switch you to VoIP. Asking for a battery may be the trigger.

·
Super Moderator
6,432 Posts
@Atlanticrebel
What? You're too good to talk to us in NB? Why didn't you stop and say hello? Sussex isn't that far from Lincoln, you kow....:eek: ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts