Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My parents recentely purchased a home in Waverly West and are told that MTS has fibre to every home. I was wondering is this will enhance the quality of HDTV you will currently receive from IPTV? Or is it simply faster internet and possible future enhancements? They currentely use Bell and think they have the highest quality HDTV feed so I thought I would ask.

Many thanks,
Russ

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I was wondering is this will enhance the quality of HDTV you will currently receive from IPTV?
No because the tv signal being streamed is the same.

However, it does mean a bigger pipe so they have the capability to receive MORE signals (i.e./ more channels), faster internet speeds and other advancements.

·
Super Moderator
16,872 Posts
Here is the announcement of the Waverly West project. They mentioned "download speeds of up to 25 Mbps and potential for future speeds above 100 Mbps."

Based on what other telcos are doing with Mediaroom, I expect MTS will offer the ability to record at least 1 SD and 3 HD channels at the same time. If your parents want to take a look at the HD picture quality, they can go to Advance Electronics on Portage or any MTS Connect store.

·
Registered
757 Posts
That's funny that they say "up to 25 Mbps" because with Ultimate (not on fiber) you can already get that with one of those new plans (Lightning Bolt or Super Max, I forget) One of them is 32 Mbps shared with the TV streams. Sounds pretty sweet, but expensive.

I know little about fiber, but yeah 100 Mbps would be unbelievable. But I guess it would really only be as fast as the sites you are connecting to (ie. their servers) eh?

·
Super Moderator
16,872 Posts
The difference is that fibre has much more capacity so you could easily have 25 Mbps dedicated internet and 3HD/1SD TV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts