Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Ontario and I’ve read a lot of information on this thread and other sites about Bell Fibe and I have a few questions. Bell Fibe is becoming available shortly in my area and I’m simply trying to understand my options. This is the services I currently have:

Bell Sat
Bell DSL on dry loop
VOIP w/ primus via DSL dry loop
Did have an additional phone line installed for business reasons but has been disactivated.

This is what I’d like to go with once Fibe is available:

Bell Fibe TV
Whole Home PVR
2 wireless receivers
Telsavy DSL Internet 25/10 unlimited
VOIP w/primus via Teksavy DSL dry loop.

Question:

1) Am I able to have Bell Fibe TV on one DSL dryloop and Teksavy on another DSL dry loop (perhaps via my other now deactivated line)? Or will I be forced to have Fibe TV on one DSL dry loop and teksavy via cable?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you calculated how much (if any) you would save by using TekSavvy for your Internet (eliminating any bundling offers from Bell's pricing)? How much would your total bill be with Bell home phone, Bell Internet and Bell Fibe TV with promos and bundles discounts minus the hassle of dealing with support if any of these services goes down?

If it's $10-20/month I'd stick with Bell for all three services to avoid the hell I would face, first getting it installed and then supporting it.

For fun, calculate how much you would lose in bundle savings (including HDPVR cost) if you just switch your voice line.

Is it really worth it?:confused:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Having all three services from bell works only in the short term, once promotions are over, home phone will go up and the other services may go up, depends on retention.
The best way in my opinion would be to get cable Internet so you can save on dry loop fee.
When ordering, just get fibe tv with basic Internet and after a month or two cancel the Internet.
If bell will try to jack up the price of fibe tv after cancelling the Internet, just call retention and they will let you keep the discount, or they may increase it just a bit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I want this setup with Bell:

- Phone with Bell phone line standard (by Bell)
- TV with antenna satelite (by Bell)
- Internet Fibe 15 (by Bell)

Does anyone using this setup ?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have tha exact setup. It works great, have u called them to install it yet?

I want this setup with Bell:

- Phone with Bell phone line standard (by Bell)
- TV with antenna satelite (by Bell)
- Internet Fibe 15 (by Bell)

Does anyone using this setup ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have tha exact setup. It works great, have u called them to install it yet?
I will call another time... few person said me that I can obtain FIBE Internet only, and others persons said me that I'm obligate to apply to all services!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes you can have Fibe internet only. Just tell them you don't want Fibe TV your happy with your Satellite.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
A (BELL ?) Rep / Salesperson came to the door the other night, around 8 PM.

O.K. - no problem, coming in person, I answer the door, and speak with him for about 20 minutes, because I have been recently / and am currently in the process of investigating a few different providors here in Kingston. ( Cogeco / Shaw Sat / and now Bell Fibe )

I ask about Bell Fibe TV service here in Kingston.

Apparently we are able to have Bell Fibe TV now here, in this city / Kingston.

He gives me a detailed printout of the channel lists / different packages / and I ask and write down
the prices he quotes - beside the channel "packages".

But - the Rep Tells me - the prices he has quoted me - for the TV packages - only apply if you ALSO take BELL internet service, along with it. At whatever cost that is.

You *MUST* take internet service as well - to get those prices.

Otherwise, the prices are different / for the channel packages - for TV Service only / no internet.

[ The Channel packages on BELL Fibe go something like GOOD / BETTER / BEST, and then they have something like "ADD ONs" like Premium Sports package, or a number of Multicultural Packages / different languages ... whatever ]

So what's this ??

BELL is, essentially, "PACKAGING" one service with another now ?

In order to get quoted prices, must take (& pay for) our INTERNET SERVICE as well.

"Packaging" Internet service with Fibe TV service.

Man o' Man.

So ... In order to compare with other companies offerings for TV service (only)- I think I am going to have dig a little deeper, and get the BELL FIBE price quotes, without internet.

And that is going to drive their prices up.

That's a sneaky bit of marketing.
And I would say "pushing" of services, again, with a sneaky different form of "Packaging".

I wonder what the regulator would think about this?

If the regulator ( ? CRTC ) is trying to do away with "packaging" issues, by enacting Skinny Basic, and true "pick and pay" channels, coming in the near future ... ( ? Dec 2016 )

Why is this Carrier / Huge Media company - BELL - using this sort of "Packaging" marketing?

Trying to sell me with: "must be combined with internet service, to get the prices quoted."

[ No problem or issue with the REP at the door - he was very polite, and knowledgeable,
answered some of my detailed questions, or tried the best he could, or knew where to direct me
on the internet, and had some good hard copy info to give me - some nice detailed
channel lists on a few pages. ]

However - the way Bell - the company - is marketing this to me.

All I will say is - buyer beware. [ What your overall monthly bill will actually be. ]

Why are they pushing the various services this way ?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The "bundling" of multiple services isn't new, it's been going on now for a number of years as each "service" becomes deregulated. Nothing new.

Cameron

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
@mrvanwinkles
As far as I know it is next to impossible to have Fibe tv with no internet from Bell. I have been trying to do it for years.
Only recently I was able to cancel Bell's home phone without losing any discounts and PVR credit and that was not easy to accomplish either.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I cancelled Bell Fibe just a few months ago and when I did they asked me why, I told them it was because the internet speeds aren't up to par with the Rogers offerings for the price. I told them I loved the TV service. They immediately asked me if I wanted to keep the TV service only but unfortunately I had already had Rogers installed . . . if I had known they would allow me to keep TV only I would have certainly considered it. I was under the impression you had to jump through hoops to get it but they offered it with no prompting.

Maybe you have to tell them you really prefer to keep Fibe TV over Rogers but you feel forced to cancel.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Well being promised something and actually getting it are two different things.
If Bell actually did it and allowed you to have Tv with no internet, you would have to pay PVR rental fee and probably lost the discount if you had any.
I have learned over the years that with Bell you are never sure if the offer is genuine until you get the bill.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
^^^^ And even then it sometimes takes Bell 3 goes to get the bill on an even keel, unfortunately.

Cameron

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Oh well.

If that's the way it is, then will just have to ADD the price of internet on to each of the channel packages offered - and compare that way - with the other providers.

But I suspect that sort of comparison will then make Bell Fibe TV (+ mandatory internet) much less attractive.

Due to high PRICE for CHANNELS (channel packages) offered.

So question: Will they Offer you BELL EXPRESSVIEW Satellite service instead - then - in an area where FIBE is available ?

[ Or is that a NO GO / not allowed / by BELL Marketing rules. - or - Is that not worth doing - for whatever reason? Service or cost? ]

i.e. So if you don't want internet via FIBE service, just want TV service - Just Sell me Bell Satellite "Expressview" only then - instead.
Still possible? - or am I way out of date on my knowledge of current services they offer?

Because I'm just guessing at a possible "alternative" or strategy?

This still seems like a sneaky marketing strategy. Quote all prices, then tell the customer, very last, at the end: OH BY THE WAY - MUST ADD INTERNET.

There must be a Marketing Term for this.

I don't know.

"PREDATORY MARKETING" ? PREDATORY SALES ? Maybe?

The intention is to KILL the competition. Not allow the competition to get your internet business - by forcing you to take theirs. Force Bundling of different services.

[ Similar to the way they'll try and sell you large quantities of say FOOD, four or five of the same, wrapped together, in a package, at a discount [ like COSTCO ?]
You'll never need to buy that from another store, for quite a long L O N G L O N G time. You now have a big supply, from us ...
and we deny the competition your business and money, in this way .... moo haa haaa haaa haaaaa - scary evil laugh ]

P.S. I always thought BUNDLING of different services - was supposed to be the CUSTOMER's *option* - not forced.

SICK / Predatory / forceful.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yes, it is possible to have bell satellite regardless if Bell Fibe is available in that area or not and no internet or home phone are required with Bell satellite.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well being promised something and actually getting it are two different things.
If Bell actually did it and allowed you to have Tv with no internet, you would have to pay PVR rental fee and probably lost the discount if you had any.
I have learned over the years that with Bell you are never sure if the offer is genuine until you get the bill.
You are absolutely correct. I have had nothing but back luck when it comes to billing and Bell. I have had to go to the CCTS on two separate occasions to rectify billing issues (both times I was granted refunds). The last time was when I cancelled and they did not issue a refund for nearly a whole months worth of 3 services. They say they do not prorate their fees which is actually in contradiction of the 30 day cancellation policy which is now not allowed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Moving from Newmarket to Barrie. Currently with Rogers but want to switch to Fibe TV as Rogers receivers are just terrible. Internet is great 1GB no issues.

Went to Bell store in Barrie, told them I wanted pricing on package for TV/Internet. Ran me through the usual this what we offer speech. Not bad pricing actually for the better TV package. Then I asked about Internet and what was the speed "Ow it's more than you need sir, it's 25mb down!" I literally laughed at the guy and said ok I'll pay more just up the speed for me. "sorry sir that is the best speed in your area" I told him Bell is nuts if they think that 25mb is acceptable as their highest speed in 2016.

I said thanks for your time but Bell has no clue what they are doing if they think people are going to sign up for 25mb service and walked out.

I was really annoyed when the guy told me it's more than you need sir. How the F do you know what I need. I work from home in IT, I have 2 kids and a wife that live on Netflix, Youtube etc. 25mb is nothing. I require high speed internet and in my eyes 25mb is barely high speed now.

So I went back in and saw the guy again, told him ok I don't want internet just TV. Then he tells me you have to have both. Nope not going to happen, I just went down the hall in the mall and spoke to Rogers. 1GB service available at my address so i'll be going with them.

Here is the interesting part. He says ok just order the package then after 30 days cancel the internet and keep the TV. I said I can do that with no cancel fees and he agreed.

So to say Internet is "required" is a load of BS.

So that is probably the way I'll go, i'll get the slowest (yes slower than 25mb :) ) Internet and TV from Bell and Rogers 1GB Internet service, then 30 days in i'll cancel Internet from Bell. Keep their TV and we are all happy.

I'll update the thread once I've gone through with it all (don't move until Oct 21st)

·
Registered
201 Posts
chammer101 said:
..... but Bell has no clue what they are doing if they think people are going to sign up for 25mb service and walked out.
Actually, 25MB is more than sufficient for most people.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have 25 mega bits per second (mbps), not to be confused with 25MB which stands for Mega Bytes and I find it is more than sufficient for a house hold of approx 3-4 people. I actually think 15mbps is sufficient enough but for an extra $5 to bump to 25mbps is actually a better value and its totally worth it.

161 - 180 of 208 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.