Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anyone tried to get zero rated internet lately? I tried several times recently but was shut down.
One CSR said that they "don't do zero rated internet anymore". Is that true? Has anyone been successful lately?

·
Super Moderator
17,210 Posts
@edvale Bell has issued a press release and committed to the CRTC that by March 31 they will no longer require new customers to sign up for Fibe internet to get Fibe TV. See my previous link. You might just have to be patient.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Patience is all well and good, but given Bell's nature, I don't think that they will make it easy for existing customers to simply "drop" their internet service.
Am I being too cynical?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just called Bell to cancel my home phone and Internet (I want to keep my FibeTV). I was transferred to the loyalty department and connected to someone in the Philippines.

After coming back to me with an offer that would have me paying an extra $1 for my television service and an extra $5 for my Internet service (it would be upgraded to Fibe 15 from Fibe 5) I was a little annoyed at how they are actually trying to keep a customer yet giving them an offer that asks them to pay more than what they are currently paying. She said that the rates are increasing in February and this offer includes that increase.

I told her I would like to cancel my home phone and Internet and she said that when she went to look at cancelling my Internet, it was going to cancel my Fibe TV as well.

So what do you all think? I explained to her about the news that Bell has said they will not force clients to purchase the Internet service with Fibe TV but she basically seemed clueless about that.

I did not cancel the Internet yet and now I need to find out how to go about doing that so I can sign up with Teksavvy instead.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You can cancel Internet now and keep Fibe tv but you have to talk to loyalty department and be ready to cancel.
I was offered that 2 weeks ago but then I would have lost my discount and would have to start paying for PVR rental, so basically I would not save anything by switching to another ISP. Actually it would cost me even more, so I decided to keep it for now.
Another thing is that even if the Internet is cancelled customer would still have Internet service and the wifi has to be on for the tv service.
So if by mistake a customer uses Bell's Internet, Bell would charge customer monthly Internet fee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bev fan,

You mean be ready to cancel Fibe TV?

I'm currently paying $89.95 and getting a $7 Bell bundle savings credit for my tv service, so a total of $82.95/month. My detailed bill does not show any PVR rental fees, so do you think that one will appear if I cancel my internet? The Bell site says that rental is free with 3 services so I guess because I just cancelled my home phone, I am already going to get hit with the $15 PVR rental fee.

I figure I will lose the $7 bundle discount because I am not bundling anything.

If they charge me for PVR rental, I'm going to lose $22/month in savings, so my new Bell bill will be $82.95 + $22 = $104.95

With Teksavvy I can get a 100 mb service for $63.95/month and I'm currently paying $68.95/month for Bell's 5mb service. So if I lose $7.00 on my tv price but gain back $5 by switching to Teksavvy + the faster speed, I'm fine with that.

Old
----
Bell FibeTV = $82.95
Bell Internet = $68.95
Total = $151.90

New
----
Bell FibeTV = $104.95
TS Internet = $63.95
Total = $168.90

So I'm paying $17/month more but I'm getting an internet service that is up to 20x faster. Plus, I saved $38.95/month by canceling my home phone which I never used, so in the end I'm still ahead I guess.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can cancel Internet now and keep Fibe tv but you have to talk to loyalty department and be ready to cancel.
I was offered that 2 weeks ago but then I would have lost my discount and would have to start paying for PVR rental, so basically I would not save anything by switching to another ISP.
What exactly were you offered, in terms of internet, 2 weeks ago?
I've called about 6 times now, within the last few weeks, and was NEVER given an option to switch to a zero rated internet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
update:

i called yesterday and this time spoke to someone local in retentions. she told me i can cancel my internet and retain my Fibe tv service. They call it "dark internet" as well as zero-rated internet.

she did say that i had to be careful not to use the internet from the wifi signal that my tvs run on. i would be billed for that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
update:

i called yesterday and this time spoke to someone local in retentions. she told me i can cancel my internet and retain my Fibe tv service. They call it "dark internet" as well as zero-rated internet.

she did say that i had to be careful not to use the internet from the wifi signal that my tvs run on. i would be billed for that.
diyasdad: If you don't mind, would you please outline how your conversation with retentions went? Did you start by asking to cancel your internet? How did the conversation progress from there?

As I've mentioned previously, I've called retentions many times recently, and have never been given an offer of dark/zero-rated internet. I'm hoping that if I follow a known working "script" I can get this offer.

Obviously the particular CSR you speak with plays a huge role in this since (in my experience) each one seems to give you very different options.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You have to tell Bell that you will actually cancel both if they do not let you cancel the Internet.
If they don't then cancel both and set the cancellation date in two weeks for example. Bell usually will call back within few days with better offer.
Remember that you can always stop cancellation order few days before the date.
Make sure you speak only to the loyalty department as only they can offer special deals.

Sometimes Bell will not give in no matter what so it is impossible to give you advice that will work 100% every time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually I did not threaten to cancel both tv and internet. I just told her that I wanted to cancel my internet because the price is too high for the speed that I'm getting. She came back and offered me $14 off the 50 mb package, which is still more than the Teksavvy 100 mb rate.

However, she said that I can get the dark/zero rated internet. I asked her why the previous person I spoke to in retentions/loyalty told me if I cancel my internet, I lose my tv. She said that there are some people who don't know and you have to ask for it.

I didnt end up canceling but I do plan on doing so and doing it the exact way that Bev Fan said. I'm going to cancel on a date 2 weeks from now so I have time to get my Teksavvy internet up and running.

·
Registered
55 Posts
update:

This would mean you cannot use from your STB remote the Interactive Television (iTV) button for the Weather Network, TSN, Netflix... etc.

·
Super Moderator
17,210 Posts
@control Zero rated internet is meant for use by the apps that run on the Set Top Box, including TSN Xtra, The Weather Network, Galaxie, etc. These use a small amount of internet data to function. Netflix would be a different situation since that is purely a streaming app.
The rep said that use of the internet by OTHER devices would be billable, such as smartphones and laptops.

Hopefully, once the two services are officially separated in the next couple of months, the segregation of internet for STB apps will be automatic and other devices will be automatically locked out if you don't subscribe to Fibe internet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I called 4 times to get 'dark internet' without any success. They keep telling me that I consume too much bandwidth months so I don't qualify for dark internet. Not only that, I'm paying $20 monthly -$15 4K promo and their website say it's at $0 if you have the 3 services. I tried to get that removed and they said I have too many discounts on my account already. I even said it's on their website, so they should honour it, no luck. I have spoken with 4 reps from loyalty, Philippine, Ontario & two from Quebec. I'm about to jump ship and go with Videotron (Quebec). I can get the same package I have now but included The movie Network & Superstations for about $15 less a month. I would have more channels plus 120/20 for internet. I currently have 50/10 with pair bonding. The only difference is Videotron doesn't have any wifi receivers and you can't recored from any of the slave receivers (only from the PVR).

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
@rwings01
It is very hard to get zero rated Internet. Sometimes Bell would offer it once customer cancels all the services but it depends on the agent so it does not work every time.
You should know that once you get zero rated Internet you will lose all the discounts and will have to pay PVR rental fee so most likely you will end up paying more.
You may get charged for using Bell's Internet if you use it by mistake.
Good option is Bell satellite. It is easy to use it with any internet that you wish to have and possible to get some discount as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
@bev fan,

You're not kidding, it's very hard to get zero rated internet. I'm debating if I will cancel all 3 services and change providers. I already had Bell satellite and it kept losing signal in heavy rain and in the winter time.

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey everyone,

Update on my request for dark internet. Since I've had no luck talking with loyalty department in the last week or so I decided to make a complaint via email to How To Escalate a complaint.

I explained my situation regarding the poor speeds of 50/10 and wifi issues with the HH3000 and wanted dark internet. I mentioned in my email I will cancel all 3 services with Bell if I don't get a call back from loyalty department or a supervisor. Early this morning I got a call from a supervisor saying she received my email escalation request. She offered my dark internet, I was able to keep my $15 promo for the 4K receiver and the 10 months left free for the TMN channels (have 1 year free). Now for the bad news, I currently have a $19 ongoing credit for my phone land line which brings my price to $31.30 plus tax. I would lose that and my new price would be $52.44 - $10 for 12 months which brings my price $42.44 plus taxes. There's no way I would pay a landline that much since we have 4 cell phones at home. Only reason for the landline is my wife wants it and for my alarm. I told her I would speak with my wife and get back to her. I will try to keep the phone line at the same price and see what they say. If not, I will cancel everything and go with a different provider. Anyone having a hard time getting dark internet, this may be the best solution instead of talking to loyalty. I hope this info can help some people trying to get dark internet. The Bell agent gave me her direct phone number and extension.

Sorry for the long post, I will update once I speak with Bell again.

rwings

·
Registered
82 Posts
Success!

Well I was finally successful in getting dark/zero-rated internet!

I cancelled my services on Jan 30th with a disconnect date of Feb 13th.
I received and email on Feb 1st asking me to call loyalty. The email contained a code (to be supplied to the CSR) and a phone # that I hasn't seen before.
I called that # today, and gave the code. The CSR started down the road of a million questions road about my service needs, but I cut her off and said that I was only interested in zero-rated internet. After a fairly long hold, the CSR came back and said they would offer zero-rated.

181 - 200 of 208 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.