Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, not sure which forum to post this in (computing maybe?) - I'm hoping some networking gurus around here might be able to help me out.

I read that if you're using Coax to connect your FibeTV boxes up then you can plug an ethernet cable into the FibeTV STB to get internet connectivity. I tried it with my PS3 and yes indeed I can. That saves me running a separate ethernet to my bedroom. While I can access the internet from my PS3 connected this way, I can't access my home's internal network. I would like to access my home's internal network to stream my video collection to my PS3.

A little background to how the FibeTV modem is setup in relation to my home network. I have the outside Bell wire coming into the Fibe Cellpipe modem/router (I have the Bell router disabled) and its connected into the WAN port of my DLink DGL-4500 router which serves my internal home network. The Cellpipe is 192.168.2.1 while my DLink router is 192.168.0.1 - is it because they are separate that I can't talk to each other? The DLink is a better router than the Fibe Cellpipe at routing and wifi, so I only use the Cellpipe as a modem out. I can't actually access the Cellpipe 192.168.2.1 setup page from within my home network ether, I have to physically plug an ethernet wire into the Cellpipe modem to access its setup page. Is there a way to get these two routers to talk to each other? Do I increase the IP range or port forward something? I'm just not that savy with Networking - but I'm willing to learn!

Thanks,

·
Registered
205 Posts
One question - where are you doing your PPPoE authentication at - your Cellpipe, or your Dlink?

Are you able to plugin a desktop / laptop into the Cellpipe and get internet access still, or can you only get internet access through the Dlink?

Take a look at the following pages and report back if you can - it should help answer my quesitons at the very least:
- Satus --> Routing
- Status --> Device Info

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have my Dlink DIR-655 router connected to the Alcatel Cellpipe. The Cellpipe does the connection to the internet (VDSL2... etc) but I turned off the wireless.
The DIR-655 takes care of the wireless - it is also in the same subnet as the cellpipe (a static address of 192.168.2.100) - DNS, UPNP and DHCP is disabled on the DIR-655 but DNS relay is enabled.
I can access both the DIR-655 and the Cellpipe since they share the same subnet and the DIR-655 does a much better job with 802.11g and n .

This setup would give you the functionality you are looking for. (I believe)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much - I was wondering if I need to be on the same subnet (actually I was looking for the term subnet!)

I'm not sure who is doing the PPPoE authentication, I didn't check anything different when my router was connected to the DSL modem - I so I would guess it's still my DLink router doing the authentication and I have everything disabled on my IPTV Cellpipe modem.

Can I do it the other way and have the DLink be the DCHP/DNS server and just change the Cellpipe to the same subnet as my DLink network or will that create problems if the Cellpipe can't assign the STB, PVR and PS3 IP addresses on its own subnet? I already have ports forwarded on my DLink router that works well and would hate to lose that functionality if I changed the DLink router to be on the Cellpipe subnet (also I think the DLink DGL-4500 is a better router than the Cellpipe modem).

·
Registered
264 Posts
The cellpipe supports VDSL2 and HPNA (IP over coax) and therefore the STB is not going to work without being able to talk to the cellpipe.
You might want to ask Dr. Dave and look in the Telus Optik thread - they use different routers but they have a lot of experience with IPTV.

One other thing - I also had my PS3 connected to my STB using ethernet while using coax to access the STB. It worked as you say - however, a tech said that the STB was not meant to have coax and ethernet running concurrently. He said there might be premature failure of the STB. Don't know if that's true or not - but that's what he said.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
I'll chime in since my name was mentioned. I'm not familiar with the Cellpipe, but the general network principle is that devices have to be on the same subnet to communicate with each other. I think the Cellpipe has to assign addresses for the STBs, so you can set it to assign all addresses. It may be possible to have the Cellpipe assign a range of addresses and have the Dlink assign a different rangle of addresses in the same subnet.

One other thing - I also had my PS3 connected to my STB using ethernet while using coax to access the STB. It worked as you say - however, a tech said that the STB was not meant to have coax and ethernet running concurrently. He said there might be premature failure of the STB. Don't know if that's true or not - but that's what he said.
I've seen this comment from a few different people. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's possible that the chip driving the network interface could overheat when using both at once. I'm sure the VIP1200 was designed to use either coax or Ethernet, not both at once. The fact that you can use both at once is probably a happy accident of the design. On the other hand, I haven't heard of anyone having a VIP1200 fail because of this and I know a few people do it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I'd post a little update in case anyone else decides to do this as well. I finally gotten around to moving my 2 subnet networks into one all behind the FibeTV cellpipe modem/router and it all seems to be working nicely together. I disabled DCHP on the DLink router but kept the wifi component active and hooked it into one of the 4 LAN ports on the back of the Cellpipe to one of the 4 LAN ports on the back of the Dlink (not the WAN port as it was previously). Now my Cellpipe has DCHP on and assigns all the new IPs in the range 192.168.2.xxx so everything talks to each other. The Cellpipe does the PPoE connection to the internet as well as the IPTV.

The only thing is I forgot to set the DLink router setup page IP address (defaults to 192.169.0.1) to something within the range of the Cellpipe IP addresses (192.168.2.xxx) BEFORE I shut off the DCHP and now I have to go in manually with one of my computers and set a static IP address with that computer to access the DLink router separately to change the DLink router setup page IP address to 192.169.2.xxx - a hassle - so becareful you've disabled the uPnP, PPoE AND setup a new router setup IP address BEFORE you disable DCHP as the last thing you do.

BTW, the Cellpipe indicates what kind of network connection each device has - my ethernet connected device show up as Msft5.0 whereas the Coax connected STB & PVR shows up as HPNA. Incidentally, the PS3 that is plugged into the bedroom STB also shows up as HPNA. The STB is a rental, so if it burns out, its no biggie, but I never have both my PS3 streaming and watching a TV program or streaming a PVR show at the same time anyways - its always one activity or the other and so far there has been no problems. Just the added bonus of not having to run another wire up to the 3rd floor!

Hope this helps out anyone else wanting to use a better wifi router with their Cellpipe modem and having everything live happily within one network.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, this thread has provided a good start for me, as I'm looking to use my STB for a network connection as well, similar to wm_cheng using it for his PS3.

It appears as though wm_cheng was able to connect his PS3 to the internet with the "default" settings, before moving forward with configuring a third party Dlink router. I just have the default setup and hardware from Aliant, but I am not able to access the internet using the "Network" port on my STB.

Could anyone tell me what network settings should be used to connect?

My hardware:

Bell Aliant Fibre OP TV & Internet (30/30) Bundle
Actiontec R1000H
STB: Motorola VIP1200
Coaxial is used to run all STB's
Basically, all default hardware and configuration from a new FibreOP install a couple of weeks ago.

Question:

1) What subnet, gateway, IP address, DNS servers, etc, should be used in the laptop that is trying to connect via the STB?

Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to assist, or even just point me in the right direction!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts