Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Even with à la carte, you can get TSN in HD without the stupid 5$ fee.

He could take à la carte 15 at 18$ and add the 5$ TSN hd extra and pay the same thing that the anglo package at 23$ though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
problem setting up recording of MLB game on RSN

Last night I tried setting up a baseball game to record from RSN 1405 using the menu. I got a message something like information changed do you want to set up a manual recording.

Anyone know what this is all about?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fibe tv issues

Hello all,

First post so please forgive me if I err in some of my terminology. I’m here because my Bell Fibe experience to date has left me frustrated to the point of exhaustion.

I’ve been a Fibe tv customer since August 2012. Strangely, everything ran smoothly until August 2013 (see below); since then, we have had a total of 6 different techs at our house and although the pixilation issue has been fixed, our problems still persist - continued dropped tv signals and static on the phone line(s).

Any help/direction on how to move forward with this would be appreciated.

My apologies for the length, unfortunately this runs like a bad movie…

August 2012

•6 hours to do the original installation, with my help. Eventually had to call a 2nd tech in to finish the job
•Livingroom - did not use a dual cat5 coupler/wallplate in the livingroom. Instead used a wallplate cover covered in paint and ran the wires out from underneath it
•Livingroom - disconnected the phone line (unknown to us until the tech left)
•basement –used a external cat5 coupler even though I had previously installed a new receptable box for this purpose

September 2013

•Repeated complaints regarding pixilation, pvr replaced. Sporadic pixilation still exists.

October 2013

•Tech spends 2+ hours re-doing all internal lines/connections/coupler/wallplates and external termination point. Tech indicated that most of the original installation was done wrong. Pixilation solved.

December 2013 (post ice storm)

•Repeated dropped tv signals/internet connection and phone static begin
•Tech reviews installation, says everything looks fine and leaves

January 2014

•Repeated dropped tv signals/internet connection and phone static
•Tech reviews installation, says the wrong pair used at the termination point outside, says everything now looks fine and leaves

February – first visit

•Tech reviews installation, says the 60 year old lightning strike protector may be the issue, disconnects it. Tech also indicates that the problem may exist at the main connection at the post in our backyard.
•Tech indicates that he can’t repair this and indicates that he will put in a ticket and a “crew” will be out to do the repair/changes within a couple of weeks. Says everything now looks fine at the moment and leaves

February – second visit

•Tech arrives, I explain everything that has been done and he reviews the installation. Also indicates that the issue may be at the post outside and indicates no ticket exists for the “crew” mentioned above.
•Tech escalates to his manager, manager does a line test and says everything looks fine. Tech leaves

February 17th

•After an angry call to tech support, tech arrives at 8am the next day; the only day I said I wasn’t available. Tech ignored.
•Received a call from the tech and spends 10 minutes telling me how he only does escalations and that he’ll be sure to solve the problem
•Tech arrived, went the main box across the street from my house, ran a line out of said box, through the tree next to it, pulled it across the street, attached it to the main hydro stack on the side of my house with plastic ties and then ran it the termination point on the side of the house
•Tech reviewed internal installation again, said the connector box next to the old now-disconnected-lightning-strike-plate was “garbage”, and added a new/used “wafer” that he described as being more “high-tech”
•Tech took out his tester (first time I’ve actually seen this) and asked if anyone else had taken the time to test the lines like this. Tech found a short in one of the phone lines and disconnected the line indicating this was likely the problem all along
•Tech proceeds to leave, when asked about the temporary line crossing the street he said, “don’t worry, we’ll wait until it warms up a little and get a cable person out here”. Tech advised that this was unacceptable and he indicated, “give me about a week and I’ll get a cable guy here”
•Tech indicates that that everything is fine for now and leaves

Within 2 hours of the tech leaving I experienced two incidents of dropped tv signals/internet connection

At what point does Bell deem their service to be unacceptable!? And more importantly, why would any sane person want to continue with this nonsense?

Even better, after all of this Bell still wants $75 to cancel. What a joke!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Have to agree with Uniquenamerhere.

Bell with its Fibe TV service is simply the worst customer experience I have every had - bar none. Incredibly when I speak to others, they tell me of horrible Fibe experiences.

Absolutely dreadful from the fact that my Bell Fibe TV service never worked properly, endless calls to fix and horrible billing. Techs couldn't sign my box up on site, recordings never worked and so on.

Over six months, I placed close to 30 phone calls, had four tech visits and likely spent over 20 hours on the phone for a service that never worked.

In addition, I received "new" and "fresh out of the box" receivers that already had programs pre-recorded on them!

I had calls from "the office of the president" or some such nonsense who left messages saying that my issues had been resolved and would not return my calls when I called to say that they had not been fixed.

Anyone who says to contact CCTS doesn't know what they are talking about. CCTS will not touch your problem unless its strictly with telephone issues. Because I had a Bell Bundle, they would not help

in fact, the Bell representative who dealt with CCTS sent me copies of another Bell customers bills because he never bothered to read the responses from CCTS.

Oh and add five months of overcharging, phantom bills, threats to send my name to credit and collections for not paying phantom bills and so on. ( the comment above that "There is no fee for canceling if they're unable to deliver service." is simply not true and I have the faulty invoices to prove it)

I have detailed my issues with Bell elsewhere but I will never deal with this company on any level again.

While I've had small issues with Rogers in the past, they could always be resolved with a phone call. That is certainly not the case with Bell.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I should also add that my Bell Fibe TV experience was my first experience with Bell in about six or seven years.

I swore off them back around 2007 when Bell tried to bully me and withdrew all advertising from this site after I wrote about PVR's that had not yet been announced by Bell.

Guess I should have learned!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I think they must have you on a "black list", so a mutual dislike on both sides.

My switch from Rogers to Bell over 18 months ago has been painless, no glitches, accurate billing, so I cannot comment on quality of customer service.

Thanks for the facility you provide here, and good luck whatever you change to.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Accurate billing.... LOL!

I'm on my 3rd serious billing issue in 3 years. Last one, took them nearly 8 months to charge me correctly for the $199 terminal.
A random monkey banging keyboard keys and sending bills to clients could do a far better job than the idiots they have working for them.
I quick survey around with people who use Bell, all have the same issues, Cell Phones, Home Phones, FibeTV/Internet, all have the same issues.

Did you notice last month you were billed for the PVR twice?
Not to mention that this months bill was 5-7 days late?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Switched to Fibe a month ago from Rogers and I was shocked by the amazing service I received from Bell. Could not be happier. Fibe interface blows Rogers SA box's interface out of the water and it is so much faster.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
I'm with dhz138

I never had greater CSR response at fixing issues compared to Rogers. Rogers color is right, because that's how your face turns when trying to deal with them.

True I maybe some what pro-Bell, but still way better then Rogers in my opion.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have been a customer of bell and rogers for many years with each company and I can tell you that they are exactly the same . You could have trouble free service for many years but once you run in to a problem it could last for long time before it is resolved , and billing problems could take months to resolve with either one.
The one thing with bell I prefer is their hardware when it comes to tv service.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'll chime in too.

Issues with connections or hardware, or any other non-billing issue, Bell with FibeTV really does fix things as to be expected, generally right away, I've had techs for myself and clients show up same or next day.

Billing issues..... If it's serious, I've had 3 serious billing issues, first one took 9 months to resolve. Second, 4 months, 3rd, 7 months.
This is where Bell fails, their billing system sucks, it's not good at all. Further to that, what the ordering CSR's or managers agree to with you, may not be what actually happens. You need to be very diligent and keep many notes when you're dealing with them.

That said, their billing issues have compensated me fully. My last one, I ordered a wifi receiver that I bought out-right, it took 7 months of calling to get it off rental and paid for, I ended up with $175 in credits for their incompetence. So, if you're willing to play the game with them, it's not all bad. $25 for a $199 receiver.... Not bad in my books... Only took 8 calls.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Outsourcing

In Canada

Bell and other companies will use local subcontracting as a mean to reduce operational costs. Atelka is one of these companies with which Bell has a business relationship.

The TV show La facture on Radio-Canada (the equivalent of Marketplace on CBC) did a story on Atelka. The TV show unveiled some realities behind the scene.

La facture on Radio-Canada, story on Atelka (in French)
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/emissions/la_facture/2012-2013/Reportage.asp?idDoc=280723&autoPlay=http://www.radio-canada.ca/Medianet/2013/CBFT/2013-03-19_19_30_00_lf_0578_01_1200.asx

Interestingly enough, François Lambert, who is one of the co-founders of Atelka, is one of the dragons on Radio-Canada's TV show Dans l'oeil du dragon (the equivalent of Dragon's Den on CBC).

Dans l'oeil du dragon on Radio-Canada, François Lambert
http://dragon.radio-canada.ca/emission/les-dragons/Francois-Lambert

Internationally

Bell and other companies will also use international outsourcing as another avenue to reduce operational costs. A large number of calls are handled in the Philippines (English) and Tunisia (French).

Unfortunately, these business decisions often affect the quality of the service offered. This phenomenon is worldwide spread.

Call Center Agent, Philippines on Al Jazeera News

·
Registered
133 Posts
Price increase.

Price updates – Bell Canada

Personal
Price updates – Bell Canada

The monthly service rates for select Bell TV, Bell Internet and Bell Home phone services will change effective June 1st, 2014. Please refer to the information below for details.

Price adjustments support our continued investments in network, product and service enhancements. Learn more at bell.ca/evenbetter.

At any time, if you have questions or wish to add, modify, cancel or extend services, please call us at 310-BELL (2355).

Please note:

The rates below reflect the ongoing price including bundle discounts. Learn more about bundles.

Only products and services that are currently available to order are shown. If you currently have services that are no longer available for purchase, please refer to your March or April bill or correspondence sent in April.
http://www.bell.ca/Residential_services/Price_updates

Reminder

Bell TV

Time shifting current price: $3.00/month
Time shifting after price increase: $5.00/month

Bell claims that the price adjustments support their continued investments in network, product and service enhancements but let's go back in time. Customers outside Ontario who are paying for time shifting used to have TVO.

Carriage dispute

On June 6, 2012, TVOntario dropped its signal from cable and satellite providers outside Ontario, due to a carriage dispute over compensation for distributing its signal to its subscribers outside the province. The network reached an agreement with Vidéotron, and then entered negotiations with Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct and Telus, but failed to reach an agreement with Bell TV. TVOntario cited that: "...we believe that we have a responsibility to earn revenues from the sale of our service outside of our home province. TVO is willing to consent to cable and satellite distributors carrying our signal outside the province, provided that we're fairly compensated. Since cable or satellite distributors receive subscriber revenues driven by having TVO as part of their offering, we feel it's reasonable to be compensated. Unfortunately, we could not come to an agreement with Bell to compensate TVO for carrying our signal outside of Ontario, and the decision was made to cease offering our signal outside of Ontario."[3] It is unknown if the dispute or carriage restrictions also apply to the few cable systems in the United States that carry TVO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVOntario

TVO pulled from cable, satellite outside Ontario

New Broadcast Distribution Regulations went into effect on September 1, 2011 that require cable or satellite distributors to obtain consent from a TV station in order to distribute that station as a distant signal. For TVO this means distribution of our signal outside Ontario.
As a publicly funded agency of the Government of Ontario, we believe that we have a responsibility to earn revenues from the sale of our service outside of our home province. TVO is willing to consent to cable and satellite distributors carrying our signal outside the province, provided that we’re fairly compensated. Since cable or satellite distributors receive subscriber revenues driven by having TVO as part of their offering, we feel it’s reasonable to be compensated.
Unfortunately, we could not come to an agreement with Bell to compensate TVO for carrying our signal outside of Ontario, and the decision was made to cease offering our signal outside of Ontario.
We hope that you will continue to visit TVo_Org and TVOKids.com, which offer an opportunity for people to connect with much of TVO’s high quality educational programming. For example, as you may know, we offer podcasts and streaming video of all of our in-house content, as well as streaming video of many of our acquired programs at www.tvo.org/video.
http://blog.fagstein.com/2012/06/06/tvo-carriage-dispute/

·
Registered
133 Posts
Disguised price increase.

Disguised price increase

The Russia Today channel will no longer be part of the basic line up. Clients with an à la carte package will have to adjust or pay an extra fee to get the channel.

As of August 7, 2014, the Russia Today channel will only be available in the following TV packages: a-la-carte 15, 20 or 30, Top Anglo, Top Bilingual, Top Bilingual Extra, Best of the Best and the Russian Combo.

101 - 120 of 179 Posts