Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
About mtrlpq07

All I got was there was some issues and they could not resolve those prior
of the announcement. Only date I got was September 18th.

Another issue, is that as JoePro said, if you're too far there could be
another delay on the install.

What I understand, from the talk I got with a tech, there's some disconnects
between what the VP wants... what the marketing are doing and the reality
on the field.

This explains why the next sector should only be available for 2011. Like south shore and north shore off Montreal. They need to stabilize whats available prior to continue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys, thanks for your contributions on this topic.

Would any of you know when will FibeTv be available downtown Montreal?

I live in a condo, between Notre Dame and William, a block east of Peel...Griffintown.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
166 Posts
This morning, 2 technicians came by to install FibeTV (again!). This time, they re-did all the wiring both indoors and outdoors. The installation took around 4 hours and I'm currently up and running.

I haven't had a chance to play with it a whole lot, I'm working right now, but I'm very impressed so far. So far, I Have not experienced video glitches and there have been no issues with HDMI audio.

I'll post a more thorough comparison with videotron a little later.

PS: I'm on MTRLPQ03

·
Registered
415 Posts
Spoke about this again this evening with a tech... and here's a summary:

For Montreal:
Anjou (MTRLPQ51) + Papineau (MTRLPQ07) + Sherbrooke (MTRLPQ03) Ready
St-Dominique (MTRLPQ28) + SAUVÉ (MTRLPQ31) Working not to full capacity

For Toronto:
MAIN (Toroon04) + Asquith (Toroono2) + Simpson (Toroon05)
+ Dufferin (Toroon09) + Rogers (Toroon10) Ready

Next Step In Montreal:
Cote des Neiges + Montée St-Michel + Montreal-Nord = Starting March 2011

Next Step in Toronto:
Adelaide + Donlands + Eglinton + Ridelle + Islington + Simcoe = February 2011

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can guarantee you that MTRLPQ07 might be ready, but they for sure aren't offering bell fibetv.
I live 100 feet from the CO, and although in the system it says that fibe25 if available at my place, fibetv is not.

Either they have to activate the service for this CO, or bell Canada has to update their ordering system, I don't know.

I don't know who can I contact, or whow I can speak to about that but mtrlpq07 is still not offering the service.

I can't wait to try it though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hsantos -- your post indicates Cote des Neiges as part of the next step for Montreal. Do you know what area this encompasses? Specifically, does it include NDG and/or Montreal-West?

Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mile End area

I went to the Bell web site and entered my postal code and it said it was available in my area in Mile End. Later a Bell sales rep called and confirmed it was, and gave me prices for a 3 way package. I'm around 2 km from the St Dominique CO.

There was an article in the Gazette today saying it was available only in Anjou:

www.montrealgazette.com/business/Anjou+first+receive+Bell+Fibe/3540896/story.html

The article also says IPTV service is 1080p. Since the HD broadcast standard is 1080i, the original source couldn't be 1080p. Looks like an error to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
@fuzzy.... i heard it'S in 1080i yesss... but Bell just launch also a VOD service who's going to be 1080p on Fibe.... :) Can't wait to see it... getting mine on tuesday :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting... If the source material is blu-ray then it would be 1080p at 48 Mbps. Bell would have to compress the Mpeg4 to a lower rate.
But we're getting off topic.

·
Registered
264 Posts
@fuzzy - hate to say it but that is one badly written article in the Gazette. Fibe TV uses Bell's intranet (not the internet, as mentioned in the article). You have a choice of HD signal at the receiver - either 720p or 1080i, not both. I've heard nothing about a 1080p signal over IPTV, but who knows, we can always dream!
I stand slightly corrected - just found an article that said Bell TV will be pushing 1080p VOD for satellite. (but not IPTV)

·
Registered
415 Posts
To Fluvio... when I say Cote Des Neiges... Im talking about the CO in Cote Des Neiges.
So it will depend on what CO you phone is...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I thought most material on FibeTV was 720p only, but I finally found material that looked like it was broadcast in 1080i. Also, I discovered an easier way to determine that whatever you are watching is 1080i or not: Find a channel with tiny text (i.e. news graphics, fine print at bottom of commercials, etc) and then pause. If the text suddenly loses half vertical resolution at the moment you pause, that's 1080i you're watching. (Pausing 1080i on FibeTV pauses on a single 540-pixel-tall field, one of the two fields of a 1080i frame). Most material on FibeTV is still 720p, it seems though.

However, I also found that 1080i on VIP1232 is sometimes buggy. Sometimes when you rewind-then-play, 1 out of 5 times, the even fields get swapped with the odd fields (if you have an understanding of the two interlaced fields in a single frame of a 1080i signal, you know what I mean), causing sawtooth artifacts on diagonal lines. On some TV's this shows as video that suddenly lost half of its vertical resolution. Most people can't tell unless they are really looking, though. I am not sure if this is HDMI specific as I am using HDMI, or if this also happens on component video.

I've left my VIP1232 on 720p at all times, partially for this reason. VIP1232 does not have a passthrough mode (pass through 1080i/720p unmodified). Also that it seems that most material on Fibe TV seems to be 720p anyway. The onscreen menus are better at 720p than at 1080i too. (Fibe TV's choice of 1080i rendering is to double every pixel, to eliminate interline flicker that can happen with fine text on 1080i. The result is that onscreen menus and closed captions are now rendered at 540 pixels tall overlaid on top of 1080i video). Besides, it's really hard to tell the difference most of the time. Hopefully there is a firmware upgrade for improving the 1080i quirks.

Still better picture than satellite and cable!

·
Registered
166 Posts
According to Motorola's website specifications for the VIP1216 (which is the 160GB version of VIP1232), these boxes only support up to 1080i:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...ts/Static Files/VIP1216specsheet_082508_f.pdf
(long URL)

If there is 1080p support, it's probably on the streaming side of things, with the box converting 1080p/24 to 1080i or 720p, as a content-provider convenience. Plus, it's more compression-efficient to broadcast movies as 1080p/24 (even if it is later converted to 1080i in the set top box), and very concievably the Motorola box would support it already, as the box hardware supports MPEG2, MPEG4(H.264), and VC1 of various bitrates. Maybe in theory it could support 1080p/24 output-side in the future via firmware upgrade. Apparently, the Motorola VIP series of IPTV boxes is very flexible set top box hardware -- can runs either Windows CE or Linux and the TV provider's own choice of DRM-capable PVR software (including Microsoft and Linux based!). Bell's box runs Windows CE, with Microsoft Mediaroom.

Also, letting the set top box do passthrough would cause lot of TV flashing, everytime you switched between shows, channels, or TV commercials, as the TV tried to autosync to 1080p/24 versus 1080i versus 720p. Not very Average Joe User Friendly. So most set top box vendors don't allow passthrough. In theory, this should be a selectable option, for video purists. Custom remote control macros could quickly switch 720p/1080i on demand via button by the viewer, but that's a hassle (and not possible on all universal remotes) and there's no easy way to tell what you're currently watching is really 720p-source or 1080i-source or 1080p-source, just HD versus non-HD.

·
Registered
107 Posts
OK i`m at Mercier/Hochelaga (5 minutes drive to Anjou) and i contacted bell yesterday because i wanted the fibe 25 and iptv since i have 3 HD boxes and i was losing signal even with slightest rain in the last 2 weeks , and from the representative from Bell its still not available outside Anjou ??? now i`m really confused.

·
Registered
134 Posts
@Almadacr
Did you call at Bell or the special Bell Fibe TV number on the website ? 310-BELL is not the right place for Fibe... they may help u but may not have the total perfect info.

I live near the botanic garden and have Fibe since last week.

Also, with Fibe TV... you can't have Fibe 25. They will give you Fibe 7.
But serioulsy, they give you Fibe 25... but charghe you for Fibe 7. the reason is simple... TV and internet on Fibe 25..... So with all your TV off, your Internet will be close to Fibe 25.... but with more HD tv open, your internet will go down... So it's why they charge you for Fibe 7.... but mine never goes under 15....

I would try to call them again.... and would check the Fibe website....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for your answer , so basically what you are telling me if i have my kid watching tv and wife seeing her series i`m domed playing xbox live ?

41 - 60 of 161 Posts