Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
@mgut thanks for the update on CNN. Last time I looked that wasn't available, but that was quite a while ago.

@17671 MSNBC is one of the 200 channels available for live streaming on mobile devices, but it's only available on Apple TV if you are in your home as proven by your Bell IP address.

·
Registered
178 Posts
After reading some of these comments about Bell, Shaw isn't so bad maybe. Actually just as bad. I was looking for MSNBC, CBC Documentary Channel, and a couple of others that I've been asking Shaw when they would be available in HD, with no comments or replies ... for years. However, these channels are available via Bell Satellite. The FibeTV app on AppleTV sounds very useful to me, but being in Winnipeg, would that app work for me since I would be on my contracted Shaw internet? Would a VPN be the solution? It seems a shame that only a couple of provinces can utilize that feature. Before I make the switch to Bell, I'd like to know the limitations because I've spoken to a few Bell sales and service people that have said opposite answers.
If you want to watch a Global programs, AppleTV no problem. It works really well but you need a subscription somewhere (I have Bell satellite) to watch a program more than a week old. If you want to watch a CityTV program, no problem. (I think, I will know later this week.) If you want to watch a CTV program, you need Bell Internet to use the AppleTV app. One of these are not like the other...:frown

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
@bobmac Are you talking about the Fibe TV App For Satellite TV or are you talking about the individual channel apps? There is a CTV app for Apple TV 4, Xbox One, Samsung SmartTV and blu-ray players, Chromecast and AirPlay Mirroring. You can use any internet provider in Canada and you can access any program for 7 days after broadcast without a TV provider login.

See: https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/12-television-industry-channels-providers/172402-bell-media-launches-tv-everywhere-live-streaming-demand-6.html#post3067865

·
Registered
178 Posts
I looked for the CTV app for the AppleTV 4K and the only one I see is the CTV News Go app. What I did is use a computer connected to the TV. Tried airplay mirroring with my laptop and it did not work.

This was to watch the last few minutes we missed because of a power outage.

It took me about 15 minutes of setting up to watch those last minutes.

Same thing happened with a Global program. We watched it with the AppleTV and were done in 15 minutes and 12 of those was the actual program.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
@bobmac please use the link I provided to discuss the CTV app. I don't know how long ago that was, but perhaps the app wasn't available for the Apple TV 4K at that time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A few new channels have been included on the app including the east coast major US network channels (ABC, CBS, NBS, FOX, PBS), previously only the West Coast Feeds were available if you subscribed!

I also have the app on my Sony 4K TV and Apple 4K TV, but since I didn't stream a lot I removed my unlimited internet. The problem now is that you can only view the app on these devices if you have unlimited internet. So I can no longer use the other devices as extra receivers!

I would like to see Bell use the App to get 4K streaming channels such as TSN and Sportsnet! I would also like for them to remove any mention of the 800 series of HD channels, rebroadcast the Crave1 channel back on 1251 (they moved it to 840). I would also like to see the missing HD channels (that don't fit on the Satellite) to be available on the app. A few examples are COMEDY WEST (1741), Encore 2 (1257), Teletoon West (1654), and Family West (1643).

Still waiting for CITY TV channel! There are so many channels available to FIBE TV customers that Satellite customers don't receive!

Happy New Year!

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
@MT-MTLBell Satellite and Fibe TV have separate contracts with the channel owners and Satellite doesn't have a contract for a lot of the channels you mention.

The TSN4K and SN4K channels are separate channels and Satellite doesn't have a contract to carry those at all, but you may be able to stream those directly with the app. See this discussion:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/160-whats-sports/285941-sports-4k-canada.html

Bell has the right to redistribute any OTA channel including City TV on satellite or Fibe TV. However, they have to negotiate digital distribution with the channel owner (Rogers) and it appears Rogers doesn't even allow all cities with Fibe TV to receive the channel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am happy to say that I noticed that CityTV channel 1033 (207) from Montreal is now available on the FibeTV Satellite app! It appears to be the only CityTV feed available! So far there is no CITY on Demand available.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Nice, I heard the game was on City TV last nite, that must be the reason for the demand for that channel?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am happy to say that I noticed that CityTV channel 1033 (207) from Montreal is now available on the FibeTV Satellite app! It appears to be the only CityTV feed available! So far there is no CITY on Demand available.
It turns out that the CityTV channel 1033 is only available from your home using Bell internet. This is similar to the US networks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fibe app - pausing, recording, etc.

I'm a long time satellite customer & have the Bell Fibe app on an iPad.
Is it possible to do things like pause & record programming? It doesn't seem like you can, on an iPad at least.

·
Registered
178 Posts
FYI I tried the Fibe app on my AppleTV. It told me I had to update the app. I did and after the update, the app worked even if I have Rogers internet. That was not the case before.

Bell satellite, Rogers Internet and AppleTV 4K

Bob

81 - 94 of 94 Posts