Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
If it's not supported then your complaints about it not working have no merit since it was never designed for those functionality in the first place as per what the poster above said. You can try opening fibetv.ca on your laptop web browser and connect the laptop to your tv with an HDMI cable. This has worked for me since I am A) Satellite Customer, B) do not own a Apple TV nor Android Box, and C) I have a laptop with HDMI Cable.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
If you read the FibeTV web site carefully, it does not say you can use the CraveTV app on phones or tablets to watch FibeTV on a TV. Don't recall where I read it but viewing on the device itself is the only thing supported. The HDMI port (when it exists) and casting of any type are (supposed to be) disabled. That's a design decision made to appease copyright holders and broadcasters. If they work, it's a bug in the app that is letting it. The only device that the CraveTV app supports viewing on a real TV is the Apple TV.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just thought I would post my experience. Have Bell satellite, I can watch the fibetv.ca with a computer hooked up to the TV, no problem. So i thought I would get an Apple TV and watch with the FibeTV app which is available to satellite customers. BUT wait. I need Bell internet in order to watch using the Apple TV app, while I have no problem using the website... This is a hi tech company??

Oh and I checked again to get "high speed" though Bell for my location and it said "Congratulations you can get high speed Ultra" at the blazing speed of "upto 7 Mbps". No that its not a typo. :) I have 50 with Rogers.

It is an inconvenience, but at least FibeTV.ca works though my computer. I rarely watch it, only if I have more than 2 shows at the same time slot which is 2 shows this year.

Bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it's not supported then your complaints about it not working have no merit since it was never designed for those functionality in the first place as per what the poster above said. You can try opening fibetv.ca on your laptop web browser and connect the laptop to your tv with an HDMI cable. This has worked for me since I am A) Satellite Customer, B) do not own a Apple TV nor Android Box, and C) I have a laptop with HDMI Cable.
Late to reply but here goes.

As I stated it had been working on my Android box and then it stopped with the "mirroring not supported message." Still works, minus a tonne of channels, on my tablet. The last update stated that the app would now work on all Android devices, but I'm still getting the "mirroring" message. So make of that what you will.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
Here is the link to the app on the Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quickplay.android.bellmediaplayer&hl=en

It says "Bring their TV service to select Android TV devices."

It seems this will only work for people in Ontario or Quebec. If your region is set to an Atlantic province, you won't get the following info.

On the Bell page (Shop/Satellite TV/Fibe TV App)
https://www.bell.ca/Bell_TV/Promotions/Bell-TV-App#INT=TV_tvhmpg_BTN_belltvapp_Mass_091417_al

Click "View compatible devices"
Sony Android TVs, NVIDIA SHIELD TV, Xiaomi Mi Box.

Click "Offer details" to see the following:
Viewing with Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick or other compatible devices is only available within your home and unlimited Internet from Bell on the same bill as your Satellite TV service are required. Apple TV: compatible 4th gen. or 4K box only. Apple TV 4K available for $229. Amazon Fire TV Stick: compatible basic edition only. Other compatible devices: Google certified Android TV only.
The Android box you are using isn't running the Android TV OS, it is running a hacked version of the Android mobile OS. Mobile devices aren't allowed to connect to external screens (Android mirroring or iPhone Airplay) by the terms of the licence agreements with the "big Hollywood studios."

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
@Wanderlustus I see the reason for your confusion. Bell doesn't actually know which hardware you are running before you download the app.

Google app developers specify minimum requirements for their app such as minimum screen size, Android version, specific CPU requirements and any special hardware needed such as camera, microphone, GPS, etc. The device makers tells the Google store the devices capabilities. The Google store then matches the 2 lists to see if there is any reason to disallow the device, which in your case there isn't.

It isn't until the app actually runs that your device tries to display the video on an external screen. That would be the equivalent of a phone user plugging an HDMI cable into a big screen TV. This is a violation of the licence agreement that Bell has with the content owner, which is for mobile devices only, using their built-in screens.

Bell has a separate digital licence for in-home use that covers more channels and allows Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick and certified Android TV devices.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cheers, Dave. Still find it strange that the app worked on the boxes when I first installed it, but then maybe the agreement hadn't been enforced back then. Too bad, as it saved buying another receiver for the bedroom. So it goes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A Slingbox will do basically the same thing for anyone wanting to watch all of their channels while you are out and away from home on their mobile devices. The exception being you get access to all of your programming and you won’t need Bell internet. A bit pricy however.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You don’t need Bell’s internet to access app on mobile devices. Laptop can be used as well when away from home.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does the bell fibre app give the same channels regardless if you are a satellite or fibre subscriber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
@slash I moved your post to this thread since there is a lot of info here - see post 38.

The Bell web site has the list of channels you can get.

"Watch over 250 live and on demand channels at home and over 200 on the go on all your mobile devices." (200 at home without a Bell Internet connection)

Fibe TV has 500 channels at home and 450 on the go, but I think that is because Fibe has so many more channels you can subscribe to (lots of multicultural.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading some of these comments about Bell, Shaw isn't so bad maybe. Actually just as bad. I was looking for MSNBC, CBC Documentary Channel, and a couple of others that I've been asking Shaw when they would be available in HD, with no comments or replies ... for years. However, these channels are available via Bell Satellite. The FibeTV app on AppleTV sounds very useful to me, but being in Winnipeg, would that app work for me since I would be on my contracted Shaw internet? Would a VPN be the solution? It seems a shame that only a couple of provinces can utilize that feature. Before I make the switch to Bell, I'd like to know the limitations because I've spoken to a few Bell sales and service people that have said opposite answers.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
Welcome to the forum @ernie. The short answer is that Apple TV and the other TV-connected devices that Bell supports only work if your Bell internet service is on the same bill as your Bell satellite service, so a VPN won't help. The best solution for you would be a computer connected to a TV with an HDMI cable. Computers are considered mobile devices and there is no limitation on the size of screen you connect, although the user interface may not be as convenient as an Apple TV.

The long answer is that the streaming rights are controlled by the content owners and they are generally for mobile devices with a small screen. For in-home rights, Bell has to verify that the IP address of your internet connection matches the service address of your satellite, which they can only do if you have Bell internet. Since you don't have Bell internet, you will be limited to streaming the 200 on the go channels. Click View channels to see the 200 channels you can stream without a Bell Internet connection and whether you can stream live and/or on demand.

FYI, I posted a document in the Shaw Cable forum where they explained to the CRTC that they don't have the capacity to add any more channels, so don't expect much improvement there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Dr. Dave, for your fast response. Another thought was to try the MSNBC app on Apple TV, although only solving the HD problem for just one channel. Unfortunately, when I sign in as already subscribing through cable provider, the website that I go to to verify the activation code does not recognize Canadian cable companies. That's a shame because I'm sure Shaw doesn't get the channel for free and pays for the rights, but I suppose not the "complete" rights.

As for the 200 channels you mention the 200 on the go channels, is that not on the FibeTV app on the Apple TV? Do these channels reside on another app that can work on Apple TV doesn't require Bell internet? Sorry if these questions are redundant to you. I'm just not familiar with the variations available. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,665 Posts
The 200 on-the-go channels are only available on mobile devices and limited to the small screens - no Chromecast or Apple Airplay allowed. The exception is a computer.

The only time Bell is allowed to stream those channels to "big-screen" devices like Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick is if Bell can prove they are streaming it to your home. There is no way for Bell to do that if you have Shaw internet.

Most U.S. channels don't allow streaming directly from their sites to Canadians. MSNBC, CNBC, CNN are all restricted to U.S. cable subscribers. Where they do sell the streaming rights to Canadian TV providers like Bell (eg. MSNBC and CNN) the TV provider is responsible for managing the streaming service, like Bell does with its Fibe TV app.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You are wrong about CNN as you can go to CNN.com and put in your Bell credentials and the streaming works so Canadian cable subscribers are treated equally to US with CNN. Same for A&E I believe also. Not sure about other sites but I do know for CNN it 100% works as I've used it many times at my in laws where they do not get CNN on their cable subscription.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I can not remember for sure but when I was using bell satellite TV, I think I was able to watch MSNBC outside of the home area. so lets say when i was at a friends house using his wifi. Its been a while since I was a satellite customer so forgive me if I am wrong but I can not 100% remember for sure tho

61 - 80 of 94 Posts