Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Note: you can see the channels available for each type of licence on Bell's web page.

EDIT: Bell only gets broadcast rights on satellite when it carries a channel. It has to negotiate for any additional digital rights with each channel, which is why you see all kinds of combinations of in-home vs. mobile rights. You also see "odd" circumstances like MSNBC which is available in-home live on the terrestrial service (Fibe TV), but not available at all if you have satellite service.
Yet, in another example of senselessness from Bell, some of its own CTV local channels cannot be watched through the app. I'm a satellite customer, and CTV Kitchener (channel 584) is not in the app's guide. :rolleyes:
Also still baffles me why they don't include local CTV newscasts in the on-demand programming -- for years, every CTV & CTV Two station has had their local newscasts available for streaming via the "CTV News GO Video Network" on each station's respective website, so why are only CTV National newscasts available on-demand through the Fibe TV app?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I've been using this app for the last 2 days all day at work and it works well for the most part except that after a while it kicks me out of what I'm watching when I'm using data vs WiFi. I assume it's a safe guard. When I switch back to work WiFi it doesn't do that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to restore the satellite remote PVR app functionality? The Fibe app works for watching but I am interested in PVR remote recording as with the old Satellite remote PVR app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
hi dragosd,

We are all under the impression that the Satellite Remote PVR app will Never function any more. It seems that Bell has discontinued support for it (based on the feedback on here), which sucks because I used to use that app ALL the time. We all know the App itself had issues with newer android OS, but what we don't know is if the developers of the app were using some kind of third party server. If Bell has pulled the plug on that vendor, and they have taken the server offline indefinitely, then there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to restore the satellite remote PVR app functionality no matter how good of an expert programmer you happen to be if the Server was taken offline. Once the back end is shut down, that's it the app will NEVER connect.

Its a problem yes, but I found a solution. I have a Sling box which I'm using on one of my TV's and I now set my recordings thru the sling box so its all good, yay! I would not recommend to go and buy a sling box, I happened to own it for quite some time and was using it for other purposes but I have used it to set recordings now and it works great. its not the same interface as a smart phone app but it gets the job done

·
Registered
86 Posts
The remote access via browser never really worked for me. It did at first, but the last year it was running ... it wasn't running for me. Complaining (escalated) only got the "oh it seems to work for others" and "what are you trying to do" responses. Typical. The non-working service is not missed.

And, if I recall correctly, there was a "sling" in the web address it finally did connect to.

I'm quite convinced that Bell would be happy if this satellite business just went away :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bell Aliant Customer is not Amused

Hi folks. Only had Bell Sat for a while and just heard yesterday that Sat customers could now use the Bell Fibe TV App. Well, what a whack of frustration. Here's the rundown of my experience just yesterday.

I installed the app on my tablet, phone, and one Android box. All three gave different results.

Samsung S4 Phone (Android 5): Installed fine, but wouldn't run at all, giving an error message, as well as telling me the date/time on the device wasn't right. It's fine.

Nexbox A95x TV box (Android 6): Installed fine, but even less channels would actually work than on the tablet. The worst bloody part? Cannot scroll down from the first page of the guide with my remote, or even with my remote keyboard. Strangely enough no problem scrolling when picking favourites from the settings screen.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Tablet (Android 4.4): Best result of all and it was still crap as so many of the channels one is able to choose from don't show up in the guide, or some that do will tell you they can only be played through your telly. As someone else in the thread mentioned, no US networks available at all. Favourites? Forget it. No matter what I do only four of them will show up. For example while I can stream the SPACE channel NPs on the tablet, no way will it play or even show up in faves on the android box.

Here's the kicker: The tablet is the oldest and generally the least reliable of all three devices.

Finally out of frustration I called and was right off told that this app is not meant for Bell Sat customers, so I told her she should go to the playstore and see that in fact it is now (damn, their own folk aren't informed . . . what hope is there for us mere paying clients?). "Ok." She says, "I'll go and see what I can find out." She comes back to say "You'll get better results with Bell Fibe than you will with Bell Sat." That's it. That's all she had to tell me. So, rather than pull out what's left of my hair and raging, I bid her a good day, made a cup of tea, looked at my tablet and sighed aloud, looked toward the heavens and in James Tiberius Kirk mode screamed "BELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!"

I feel somewhat better now.

PS: Meant to add about favourites. No matter what or how many I chose only a few show up in the fave list: useless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whenever I get this frustrated I do an escalation to the exec. office and insist on a credit from my time. Usually works (the credit, not a fix ... they care just as much as the offshore folk).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, in fact I did manage to get some channels working on the android box (had to uncheck 'best stream' in settings or something along those lines), but it's still amazing what doesn't show up. None of the US networks in eastern are available, and I'm not subscribed to SEA (Seattle) channels, so while they're in the list one can fave it's pointless to bother with them. Also, some like The Comedy Network simply tell you they can only be viewed via one's receiver, so I'm left with 11 channels in my fave list and I reckon I'm not going to bother past that. Oddly enough no way will this work on my 5.1 android phone. Again, no biggie. My eyes are too ****e to watch telly on a phone. :< >

Thanks for responding, Mellbob.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Both apps report that some channels cannot be watched unless you're home... even when you are home.

My Internet provider is not Fibe, but it still goes over the phone wires... which means that Bell gets money out of this.

If I go to a friend's who has cable, these apps work fine. If I go see other friends who have Fibe, I can watch their channels and not mine.

The old app used to complain about channels it thought we didn't subscribed to, the Fibe app does not seem to have that issue.

-gmd

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is this working for Bell Aliant Fibe TV customers yet in Atlantic Canada? I have Apple TV 4 but feel as though we are really getting shafted.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm in NB and a Sat customer, and it's working somewhat for me. A lot of my subscribed channels won't play with it though, including no US networks. I chose a handful and left it at that.

GMD, I only use the app at home, and some channels tell me that I can only watch them on my reciever. The oddest thing is when I'm choosing my faves only SEA (seattle) choices show for US networks, and I'm only subscribed to eastern networks, so of course I can't watch them. Damn thing is buggy as hell, but at least I'm getting some use out of it, and not paying a dime extra. Being a Bell client, I guess that's a godsend. :<>

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have recently noticed that many of the CTV local channels have been added! Now, still waiting for a deal to happen with CITY!

What about the East Coast USA Network feeds? Why are only the West Coast feeds available??? The old Bell Mobile TV app used to broadcast the East Coast feeds!

I believe that I also heard that you could watch your PVR recordings, but I haven't discovered how! Unless this is only available to the FIBETV customer.

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
They added all the CTV channels to carry Sunday afternoon NFL Football games. See:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/160-whats-sports/275258-nfl-canada-2017-discussion-thread.html#post2947345

The description on Google Play confirms that watching your PVR recordings is for Fibe TV only. It's doubtful that the satellite PVRs will ever be integrated into the app.
Fibe TV clients can also:
- Turn their smartphone or tablet into a remote control for their TV and seamlessly transfer what they’re watching to their TV.
- Watch and manage your recordings from anywhere.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Idiot App

Hey, folks. Well, it just keeps getting better with this bloody app. This morning, as I have for weeks now, I fired up my tablet, switched on The Fibe app, and headed off to watch the CBC New channel while having morning teas. After about 15 minutes it stops and says I must have my location switched on, even though I've not had it on in weeks. Alright, says me, and switch it on. Back to the app and it tells me that viewing outside Canada is unauthorized (1011). Now, as I've mentioned before I'm on a wee isle close to the US coast but it is a Canadian island in Canadian waters, and even so don't you think the damn thing would know I'm in Canada as my IP is Bell Aliant? You know, entirely owned by Bell now? Man, this thing is so frustrating.

Has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
143 Posts
ExDilbert, like I said above I've had it turned off for months. I only turned it on when the app asked me to, then it wouldn't work when switched on or off; just kept getting the same 'outside Canada' crud. This said, today I turned the app on -- with location off, again -- and it's been streaming just fine for over an hour now. Buggy, buggy, buggy. Like another said, a tech was supposed to call me back about the "1011" code mentioned, but no one ever calls.

Bell support: as useful as boobs on a bull.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, it never ends with this app. Now my the message I get from Fibe TV on my Android box in the bedroom states "mirroring not supported." I've made no changes, it worked great for the longest while (except impossible to scroll, so limited channels), and as far as I can see it happened with the last update. Meanwhile, on my new tablet it works just grand. Both box and tablet are running Android 6. So bloody frustrating. I was about to call Bell but then remembered the last conversation where the CSR wasn't even aware that the app works for satellite as well as fibre customers. I hung the phone up without dialing.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Fibe tv app is not compatible with Android box because it does not supposed to work with Android box. Most of the apps on the Android box are designed to work with mobile devices only but are hacked by manufacturer of those boxes so do not blame Bell for Android box problems.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts