Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So I was able to log in using the iOS app, but it states no Devices are registered. Is there a trick to it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just downloaded the new Fibe TV app for Satellite TV. Compared to the regular Fibe TV app (for Fibe TV), there are several channels that I subscribe to that are missing. They include any CITY channel, CTV-M, GSN, FX, KTLA, CW11, WSBK, WGN, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and local channels from Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, and Winnipeg. I receive the CTV & Global HD channels from both Toronto and Vancouver. The major US West coast feeds do appear, but I do not subscribe to them.

There are a couple of channels that I was surprised to see such as TMN4 in HD under channel number 1254 (hopefully we will be getting this channel), and Global Montreal HD (for some reason I only get the SD version of this channel and I live in Montreal).

There does not seem to have a replacement function of the Satellite PVR app recently discontinued! The Fibe TV app for Fibe TV can be used as a remote for the receiver and shows your PVR recordings. Hopefully updates or upgrades are still to come!
MT-MTL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone got the Bell Fibe App working on Apple TV for Satellite only customers?
The Automatic and Manual login fails with "No Account", while the Bell Fibe App on my iPad automatically connects and has no issues.Both are on the same Bell network of course.
Bell's response is that it doesn't work for Satellite customers on Apple TV. Is this what others are seeing too?

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dr. Dave,

My iPad Air 2 and Apple TV (4th Gen) get their DHCP IP from the same TimeCapsule that is connected to the Bell Fibe DSL modem. The Fibe TV app on my iPad connects automatically while the Apple TV app fails with "No account". That is why I find it odd that others say that they have the Apple TV Fibe App working without The Fibe TV service and only the Bell Satellite TV service.
Not that I think it would matter, but my Bell 9242 PVR gets its DHCP address from a Raspberry Pi 3 that is used as a gateway, because I cannot string an Ethernet cable throughout the house to plug it into my TimeCapsule. The 9242 BroadBand setup page says (connected), but as I understand that functionality was abandoned and replaced with Satellite customers being able to use the Fibe TV app on their Bell Network.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks,
John

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
@zarf I would check the obvious things like double-checking your login info on the Apple TV and make sure the Apple TV is up to date.

Others things that you can compare with other satellite users:
* version of the Apple TV app
* OneBill vs. separate TV account number
* Are other users plugging directly into the Bell modem?
* Does everyone have their sat. box connected to the internet?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Fibe TV app also allows users to use their mobile device as a remote control for the PVR/STB. I wouldn't be surprised if this feature continued to be exclusive to the Fibe service.
I know this was speculation, but has anyone been able to confirm that you can use the app as a remote control in any way for Satellite TV?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same, missing city tv and the USA networks. Speaking to Bell Corporate they seem to be stalling, telling me a techy will contact me but noone ever does. Leading me to believe that it is only me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Bell Satellite but am not using bell for my ISP. I have not been able to get the Fibe TV App working on my apple TV4 as I get "Account Not Supported" when I attempt to login. The Fibe App works fine on my iPad (which is connected to wifi through my ISP). Has anyone that doesn't use bell for there ISP but has bell satellite been able to the Fibe app on an Apple TV? Thx

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
You can not do it. You must have both with the same provider. Just a few months ago Vmedia lost the court battle when it wanted to provide some of the tv channels on Roku to customers with other ISP.

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
I've been looking at Bell's web site from time to time since this was announced and they finally put up a web page for satellite customers. Here are some excerpts:
Bell TV App | Mobile Apps | Bell Canada

The Fibe TV app is now available to Satellite TV customers.
Enjoy even more channels on more devices through this easy-to-use app.

More content than ever at your fingertips.
Watch up to 225 live and on demand channels at home and up to 190 on the go on all your mobile devices.
225 at home (190 without a Bell Internet connection)
190 on the go

Watch on the screen of your choice
On your mobile devices - Watch TV wherever you are on an iOS or Android device.
On your computer - Watch your programming directly on your computer using a web browser at fibetv.ca. https://tv.bell.ca/login

Available on Wi-Fi networks
At home, you'll be able to watch TV on all your devices using your home Wi-Fi network. When you are away from home, you can also watch your favourite shows at no extra cost over Wi-Fi using your smartphone, tablet and computer. If you are a Bell Internet customer, log in to MyBell to view the data included in your plan and our usage options.

Available on mobile networks
If no Wi-Fi connection is available, you can watch TV wherever you are on a mobile network. Like any video content, watching TV with the Fibe TV app will count towards the data included in your mobile plan. Extra data charges may apply. If you are a Bell Mobility customer, log in to MyBell to view the data included in your plan.

Offer details
With select compatible Apple and Android devices. Requires Mobile network or Wi-Fi connection. Select live channels and on demand programming can only be viewed if included in your Satellite TV subscription and may vary if viewed over Wi-Fi at home with a Bell Internet connection (more content) vs. with a third-party Internet connection or outside your home. Content viewed over Wi-Fi at home will count towards your monthly Internet data usage. Mobile data charges may apply. Channels/content subject to change without notice and blackout periods may apply. Other conditions apply.

·
Super Moderator
16,683 Posts
You will only see the "225 at Home" message if the province at the top of the web page is set to Ontario or Quebec. Since you need Bell internet to see the "at home" channels, western Canada is out of luck and it seems so is Aliant territory. My guess is that Bell validates your IP address and expects it to match the account for your Satellite TV service address. If things aren't properly linked at Bell's end, you may no get the benefit of the "at home" licences.

No mention of Apple TV, but I'm pretty sure that the accounts would have to be properly linked for it to work.

Note: you can see the channels available for each type of licence on Bell's web page.

EDIT: Bell only gets broadcast rights on satellite when it carries a channel. It has to negotiate for any additional digital rights with each channel, which is why you see all kinds of combinations of in-home vs. mobile rights. You also see "odd" circumstances like MSNBC which is available in-home live on the terrestrial service (Fibe TV), but not available at all if you have satellite service.

Digital rights are quite often limited to small screens, which is why a non-standard OS is unsupported and why features like Airplay are often blocked.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
In addition to this I'd like to be able to access my DVR and set recordings via the apps guide and watch any recordings off my DVR. I can do this with my other satellite subscription but Bell seems to be only half way there.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts