Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

481 - 500 of 566 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
@andrew.r : You should try 720P because that is what Bell sends to your box and will minimize the possible negative effects of two upconversions instead of one. The TV will convert the 720P signal to 4K and is usually better at it than the box.

I'm assuming that you don't have a 4K box, otherwise one of the options should be 4K.

See the second link in post 474.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks 57 my HD box is now set to 720P. So now the 4K LG will be doing the upconverting to 4K. I will be watching to hopefully see a better picture in HD.

Ironically, Bell told me they broadcast 1080P when selling me to Fibe. God forbid you need to rely on their customer service with a technical problem ...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Some of Bell's ON-DEMAND movies are in 1080p. They're indicated at such in the lists of ON-DEMAND movies.

This allows them to boast of 1080p.

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
The photos in post 469 appear to be from an earlier episode. This photo is from the second to last episode when Gloria is a Deputy (new badge, radio mic, shirt). However the writing on the mic, badge, sleeve are much clearer on Rogers. The lighting for this screenshot is a bit weird (overexposed in places) because Gloria is standing next to a bright window, to her right, talking to her "boss" after he arrested the "murderer". I concentrated more on the legible text - you can even read the small text on her badge - Deputy Meeker County.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Click on the image at Imgur to see a larger/clearer image.

PS. This is on a Rogers 9865 PVR set to output 1080P, although I changed the output format to 1080i and saw no difference. FX comes in at 1080i to the 9865. My TV is a Sharp 4K. (The 9865 sets 1080P each time it's turned on.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You read that correctly. The 4K whole home PVR actually outputs a worse quality image than the HD add on receivers. I only clued in on trying this after googling on Bell 4K Fibe picture quality issues and found a post on here saying their HD box looked better than the 4K one.
I've actually posted last year on this same issue. I find there is more "detail" when watching TV through a regular HD box over the 4K box on the same TV. I even went so far as to ask Bell to switch the 4K PVR with a regular HD PVR as there was not much 4K content anyways.

Just curious... what type of TV do you use? I have a Samsung KS8000.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've actually posted last year on this same issue. I find there is more "detail" when watching TV through a regular HD box over the 4K box on the same TV. I even went so far as to ask Bell to switch the 4K PVR with a regular HD PVR as there was not much 4K content anyways.

Just curious... what type of TV do you use? I have a Samsung KS8000.
Hey mastermixer, your post was the one that gave me the idea to try the HD box. I have a Samsung KS9800.

I actually wanted to swap the 4K PVR for the HD one but they brought an HD receiver instead, so I'm keeping both boxes for now. I switch over to the 4K one for any 4K sports broadcasts. HD channels on the 4K box is horrible. 4K would be even better if they didn't blur everything coming out of it. I'm guessing there's not much noise on this issue since most people are probably still using 1080p TVs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The photos in post 469 appear to be from an earlier episode. This photo is from the second to last episode when Gloria is a Deputy (new badge, radio mic, shirt). However the writing on the mic, badge, sleeve are much clearer on Rogers. The lighting for this screenshot is a bit weird (overexposed in places) because Gloria is standing next to a bright window, to her right, talking to her "boss" after he arrested the "murderer". I concentrated more on the legible text - you can even read the small text on her badge - Deputy Meeker County.

http://i.imgur.com/raksfoA.jpg[/mg]

[url=http://imgur.com/raksfoA]Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet[/url] Click on the image at Imgur to see a larger/clearer image.

PS. This is on a Rogers 9865 PVR set to output 1080P, although I changed the output format to 1080i and saw no difference. FX comes in at 1080i to the 9865. My TV is a Sharp 4K. (The 9865 sets 1080P each time it's turned on.)[/QUOTE]

That is pretty crisp. I wonder if Rogers picture quality has much of a difference between boxes? I only had an 8642 PVR.

Rogers has better resolution but I prefer Bell's overall now, due to the better motion.

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
That is pretty crisp. I wonder if Rogers picture quality has much of a difference between boxes? I only had an 8642 PVR.
I did a comparison between my 13-year old 8300HD and the 3-year old 9865 on several occasions. There were two quality differences. The "sharpness" of the 8300 was not quite as good, but not a huge difference. The main difference was in the artifacts, especially macroblocking. The 8300HD had much more macroblocking, whereas the 9865 has almost none visible.

I'm glad we're able to share our experiences with the various equipment with the various providers. I optimized home theatres for over 10 years and was able to compare the quality of Bell IPTV vs. Rogers during these visits. I agree with your comment on "smoothness" with Bell (compared to the older Rogers boxes), however, with the 9865 the "smoothness" (with motion etc) was comparable, but Rogers had the superior resolution.

As you probably know, Bell "downconvert" all 1080i (broadcast) channels to 720P so the picture is definitely softer on Bell (Sat & IPTV).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good to know, thanks. So Rogers still has the best overall picture quality. If at some point Rogers comes back with an enticing offer I'll definitely switch again. For now, I'm mostly satisfied with my current setup despite the disappointing 4K box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Hey mastermixer, your post was the one that gave me the idea to try the HD box. I have a Samsung KS9800."

Since you also have a Samsung K series TV, I wonder if there is an issue with the Bell 4K receiver and upconverting HD channels to the TV?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any plans to release any new 4k live content or channels? Is the new English Soccer season or NFL going to show any games in 4k?

·
Super Moderator
16,421 Posts
Do you know if any of those games are broadcast with 4K cameras? That would be the first obstacle. Canada is ahead of most of the world when it comes to carrying 4K content on regular TV (believe it or not!)

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sky Sports will be carrying 124 English Premier League matches in Ultra HD next season.
BT Sport also carrying additional EPL matches in 4k.
No shortage of 4K content if Canadian broadcasters and BDUs are willing to step up to the plate.

Premier League, F1 and Cricket, live in Ultra HD with Sky Q | Football News | Sky Sports
http://sport.bt.com/football/tv-listings/live-events-on-bt-sport-ultra-hd-S11364000615629
I suspect it's all to do with budget allocation to 4k and us as early adopters end up paying the price until there is mass adoption... Thing is they need content to drive adoption.... They would also be able to use it as a competitive advantage against Rogers.. As it stands I currently perceive the 4k service as a waste of money based on the content... And we are generally the subscriber base they don't want to lose the loyalty of...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone using a Bell 4K DVR with the 2.2 HDMI input on their receiver? I have two different Yamaha's, the 870 and the 3070 and can't get it to work on either when connected to the 2.2 hdmi. On the 870, if I connect to the hdmi 2.0, it works, but as soon as I connect to the 2.2, all I get is sound but no picture. On the 3070 I don't get sound or picture. Unfortunately, the 3070 has all 2.2 hdmi's, so I can't just use one of the 2.0 hdmi's like I do with the 870. I've tried connecting Bell's non 4K PVR to each and have had no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a RX-A2060 and Fibe 4k and XBox S. I have had to reboot the Yamaha a few times when it booted up blurry (wrong resolution, handshaking?) and the only way to fix is a plug pull. This happens more often with the XBox though... Perhaps three or four times over a matter of months it came up no video at all, also plug pull.
Otherwise I find it ok. I purchased the Yammy with hope of using the bluetooth audio out which works fine if only using BT but there is too much lag when using it in conjunction to audible audio...
Otherwise I am pleased with this purchased and kind of astonished I went Yamaha for the first time after being a Pioneer Elite fan for years.
Of course you have tried different cables? Perhaps firmware update on the receiver? Mine worked out of the box but there has been an update since I purchased mine. What model of TV? Perhaps the tv needs a firmware update? I have read in the past with problems with Samsung TV's. Fortunately I have a Sony. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am using a 2017 LG OLED 65C7. All equipment has the latest firmware. If I unplug/replug the Bell 4K unit, I'll get a brief picture while the Bell unit boots up (5 seconds or so), but then there is nothing. My TV tells me there is no signal being received. If I unplug the Yamaha, I get the same. Very frustrating, but thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
Does it work all the time if you go directly from the Bell to LG? Have you tried a different input on the LG? Are there specific input(s) on the LG for 4K?

During the initial booting, the signal must be lower than 4K and as soon as the "Handshake" starts after you replug the Bell or AVR it must go to 4K...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, one issue is I had a bad 4K bell box so I now have a new one. However, I still can't run hdmi from the Bell box to the 2.2 hdmi connections on my Yamaha 3070 receiver; I have to use the front 2.0 hdmi on the Yamaha. Works fine this way. Also, if I plug the Bell box directly into the TV's 2.2 HDMI's, it works fine. So, it appears to be a compatibility issue between my Yamaha's 2.2 connections and the Bells 2.2 hdmi output.

481 - 500 of 566 Posts