Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Bell Internet Ultra and I got this in the mail today:
Great news. We've just turned on Bell Fibe(tm), the largest fibre optic network in the country, and we're pleased to tell you that we have moved your current Internet service onto this powerful, new network at no additional cost to you.

You now have the opportunity to upgrade to one of our new Bell Fibe Internet service plans to enjoy faster downloads (up to 25 Mbps) and faster uploads (up to 7 Mbps) - up to 3x faster than cable!

To learn more about our new network and its state-of-the-art benefits, please call 310-BELL (2355). Enjoy your online experience on our new network, and thank you for choosing Bell.
All misleading language aside, I'm not sure what to make of this, other than it's Bell's latest attempt to get rid of the unlimited accounts. Fibe supposedly came to my area (York Region in the GTA) last year and they tried to get me to switch then. I just logged into bell.ca and guess what? The only thing available at my phone number is "Performance", no Fibe service.

Sooo...now I'm on the Fibe network but at the same old speed (4.31 Mbps down/0.67 up), but Fibe is not available on my line? If anything, my service seems worse lately. The speed is the same, but lots more "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" than usual.

Makes sense to me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Be very, very careful with this language. Bell is known for mis-leading statements. i.e. the entire "Fibe" debate. Has nothing to do with "Fibre" to your house.

They're saying they "Moved you to a new network at no cost to you" but then saying "you have the opportunity to upgrade".

Scam.

Definitely sounds like they're trying to squeeze you out of unlimited and onto a limited plan. You'll just get to your smaller cap faster.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's amazing how often Bell's "opportunities" turn out to be fewer features and higher costs for their customers. "Fibe" is simply fibre to the node. However, if their is no node on your street, it's not going to make any difference.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's not fibre to my house. I assume it's fibre to the CO, and about 0.5 km of copper to my house. I live in an older neighbourhood and I'm sure the phone lines to my house haven't been upgraded in years (the demarc is a Northern Electric box with four screw posts).

I'm probably not going to switch until they price me off unlimited completely (although it's getting close).

The sad thing is they're not even very good at being misleading :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have Bell Internet Ultra and I got this in the mail today:
Great news. We've just turned on Bell Fibe(tm), the largest fibre optic network in the country, and we're pleased to tell you that we have moved your current Internet service onto this powerful, new network at no additional cost to you.

You now have the opportunity to upgrade to one of our new Bell Fibe Internet service plans to enjoy faster downloads (up to 25 Mbps) and faster uploads (up to 7 Mbps) - up to 3x faster than cable!

To learn more about our new network and its state-of-the-art benefits, please call 310-BELL (2355). Enjoy your online experience on our new network, and thank you for choosing Bell.
All misleading language aside, I'm not sure what to make of this, other than it's Bell's latest attempt to get rid of the unlimited accounts. Fibe supposedly came to my area (York Region in the GTA) last year and they tried to get me to switch then. I just logged into bell.ca and guess what? The only thing available at my phone number is "Performance", no Fibe service.

Sooo...now I'm on the Fibe network but at the same old speed (4.31 Mbps down/0.67 up), but Fibe is not available on my line? If anything, my service seems worse lately. The speed is the same, but lots more "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" than usual.

Makes sense to me :rolleyes:
First of all, the Bell qualification tool that the bell.ca site uses is all kinds of screwed up right now so just because the website says you cant get the faster Fibe products doesn't necessarily mean that new equipment isn't there and that your not on it. I'd actually have a little more faith in that letter you recieved than the website qualification tool at this time - but not much.

Your speed results are consistent with the 5056/800 profile that bell can/has likely set. The reality is, at one point the unlimited accounts used to be 5 meg dsl service. If you signed on for unlimited AGES ago, you'd still be on the same profile today.

The new optical network the letter refers to is actually FTTN. Not CO based Fiber. And yes in essence, depening on the way the facilities are designed for your particular neighbourhood, that puts the fiber equipment anywhere between 0-1.5km from your house (on average) and the last leg is still on copper.

Dont be too quick to turn your nose up to copper either! I've seen attainables of over 75mbits down and over 10 mbits up.

I know your not too interested in switching packages anyways. If your a big downloader, that unlimited account is very nearly priceless even at 5 meg! I just wanted to shed some light on that for you and anyone else happening to read this.

Hows that for my first post on the forums. Funny I joined Digital Home for OTA advice and before i can ask my own questions regarding tv antennas, I'm offering dsl advice. Haha go figure.

g33k

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I got the same letter a few months back. It kinda made sense, as I know Bell just installed a new remote fiber node down near my home. However, I had problems with my DSL a few weeks back - just lost the DSL signal completely, and got it back after a service call a few days later, and then lost it again the next day. Took another 3 days to get service restored. While I was on the phone with the test centre, I asked if I was on the fiber remote - No was the answer.

So my only conclusion is that the letter is a complete lie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my Fiber service up and rning 16 Meg DSL service

Working very well, and was definitely an improvement over the 5 meg service I had 2 years ago which maxed out about 4.4 Megs.

The ran a fibre line to the local box about 1 Km away

According to the line tests i can get about 27 megs Max on this line.

Some of the new homes, and others in the core Ottawa areas will get fibre direct to the house.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After being burned by Bell, I'm suspicious of letters from Bell about new offers.
I received the same letter you did and when I called in they said the service is not available in my area yet. That seemed like typical Bell but I did worry as much Rogers contract expires in a couple of months. Yet again I received a letter from Bell about the Fibe TV service and lo and behold its still not available in my area.
My letters come from Heather Tulk, a Bell VP, I asked the Bell rep for her email address but they wouldn't provide it. I wanted to let her know that before you send letters out advising people they have a new service available to them, please confirm that it is actually available to them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts