Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I use the remote access function on my Windows Home Server to access my server and networked computers via the internet while I'm away or at work. For the most part the process works very well. However, it seems that the Bell Fibe internet (which I was forced to switch over from Sympatico HSE since I wanted FibeTV) renews my IP every few days or so. Once that happens, my Windows Home Server looses the connection for remote access because the IP Bell assigns me has changed.

Is there anyway to prevent this? Currently I have to go into the Windows Home Server and reset the remote access function everytime this has changed - which is only practical when I'm home.

Thanks,
Wm

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping for a free solution ;-)

Windows Home Server offers a free service that will take the IP Bell provides me and map it to a domain name so the domain name registered with Microsoft Home Server is always the same. However, when Bell assigns a new IP, I have to reset the Windows Home Server to tell the Microsoft domain name site I have a new IP now - switch to that. This can only be done at home on the Windows Home Server itself. I was wondering if it can be done automatically?

Secondly, is this normal for Fibe Internet to renew my IP address every few days or so? I thought I get to keep my IP address until I reboot the modem. I thought it would be more reliable than the old copper Sympatico HSE?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The frequency of renewing your IP address is not related to reliability.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I was hoping for a free solution ;-)
The DynDNS.com service that Hugh referred you to is free. I've been using it for years. They have paid services as well but if you just need a basic domain name for remote access the free service is fine. They also have a free client that will automatically update your domain if your IP changes and many routers also have a built-in client.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
renews my IP every few days or so
What about your host name? Is it based on your IP address like Sympatico? If so, you'll need to use something like dyndns. However, if the host name is consistent, like it is on Rogers, you can use the host name, instead of IP address, to access your network. To see your host name, go to www.grc.com and click on Services > SheildsUp!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Domain Names and services

I have an HP Mediasmart Server running on MS homeserver software. For remote access you have a choice of TZO or Microsofts free services. TZO also has other services. I have used both with no problem.

http://www.tzo.com/

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been using DynDNS for years (8-10 yrs). Their free dynamic DNS hostname is great.

My router runs on Tomato so I set it to automatically refresh my hostname daily in case my IP changes.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Another support for dyndns. great free service. Paid is even worth it if you want to do more advanced functions. Very cheap for the service provided for those with dynamic IP addresses

1 - 9 of 9 Posts