Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading 300 Ohms' sticky post about building the GH using a 2" x 4" mesh reflector. The fence material he referenced was 10 AWG thick. However, the only fence material I can find locally is 14 AWG. Can someone provide me a Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware part number for the fence material I need. Maybe I just read something wrong. Maybe what I need isn't available in Florida.

Thanks,
DECEPTOR

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would think the fence material with 14 AWG wire should work just fine. It's what I've used for my antenna builds. 10 AWG would be very thick material for a fence, and hard to handle and bend. Not to mention un-roll and flatten. It's no wonder you have not been able to find any for sale.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I would go with #14 as well. Less weight and less wind resistance. It may need more support for a large reflector but for the typical UHF antenna that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I agree, after modeling several GH's with mesh reflectors of different thicknesses, the differences in performance were very small. Using a smaller grid spacing for the mesh will improve front-to-back/rear ratios a lot and gain a bit. For my GH's I use 19awg mesh reflectors with 0.5"x0.5" spacing and they work great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts