Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got to love NETFLIX. Just finished The Crown in 4K. Dolby 5.1 may not be the greatest but it is pretty good.

Streaming hiccuped once during the series.

And just downloaded the first NETFLIX show to watch on the iPad on the move. BluRay has a lot of catching up to do.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There will always be a mixed opinions on this.

I personally use ALL of them... both streaming and bluray.
I like streaming for its convenience.. can stream anywhere i have access to the service, dont have to tote the disks around, etc.

BUT

I also dont always have access to service (or its too expensive). I have a 40" TV in my trailer. I want to watch movies while away on a cold rainy night. No way in heck am i streaming that on cellular and eating my usage alive.
But i still want the quality. Bluray serves me better there.

Also may come down on to how much a stickler you are for quality.
Streaming, even in 4k, will almost ALWAYS be more compressed, than its bluray counterpart.
I have a full 1080p capable/supported netflix device. I have compared certain movies on there, then ran the same thing via the bluray i owned. While the 1080 netflix version is GOOD, the bluray still is clearer, more detail, etc.

Myself at least in our family, we do a fair bit of re-watching.
Renting, even on digital is not always the most economical.
Buying digital, is pricey, if its new. Overall, bluray combo is the best $$ value mostly. Often the digital download, is the same price as the combo pack. But then i get the digital and bluray (and a free DVD copy then too)

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
gdkitty said:
Streaming, even in 4k, will almost ALWAYS be more compressed, than its bluray counterpart.
This is a pretty incredible claim, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning.

If you mean that streaming in 4k streaming typically uses h.265 (aka HEVC) then yes, it's a more efficient encoding system which allows streaming video services to encode to get the same quality at a lower bitrate (at the cost of higher processor use for encoding/decoding).

But, I don't think that's what you mean. I suspect you mean "more compressed" in the same way that some people call MPEG-2 OTA TV signals "uncompressed". You mean that Blu-ray has fewer compression artifacts.

Personally, I think that Blu-ray makes poor use of bitrate.

Having better compression is a good thing. That means we get fewer compression artifacts. Blu-ray, the format, made bad choices if you like high quality video. If you don't want interlaced video and you want 1920x1080 resolution, then the best frame rate Blu-ray provides is 24fps. It can't do "HD" at a proper 60fps without interlacing the video, which produces horrible artifacts, which is like video compression from the 1950s.

As far as I'm aware, streaming video services haven't succumbed to the stupidity of using interlaced video formats. Video at 24fps is an example of a compression artifact. Lowering your frame rate is a method of compression, and unlike a 192+kbps MP3 (compared to a CD), 24fps video is extremely noticeable to humans, especially when the camera pans over a scene.

All the while, original Blu-ray formats burn a bunch of bitrate by not sufficiently compressing their audio. The video needed those extra bits, but the audio didn't because humans can't tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed audio. I mean, there are people who do claim to have a golden ear, but strangely those abilities suddenly disappear when proper blind A/B testing is performed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Video

You'll note that the new version of Blu-ray (UHD) does support its max resolution @60fps, but that's a recent development; and I'd argue it doesn't matter. Blu-ray UHD is a stillborn format.

I'll also add that, yes, some people say they prefer low frame rate movies; they enjoy that particular compression artifact. No doubt, they'd also enjoy the "snow" effect you get at the top and bottom of video recorded on VHS tapes, or the sound of a record player's needle bumping over a small scratch on a vinyl record. But that's just nostalgia talking. Personally I think nostalgia is like cocaine: it makes people say stupid things. :)

I imagine a couple decades from now we'll have a trend where people are swapping low-resolution videos. I imagine they'll say that video doesn't feel "real" if they can't "see the pixels"!

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I think gdkitty was trying to say that even for the same codec, BluRay will have a higher bitrate than streaming.

So even though the native frame rates and resolutions are the same BluRay will have less compression artifacts, assuming they are visible, because of the higher bit rate.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
the best frame rate Blu-ray provides is 24fps
Most film is 24fps so it makes little difference for that content.

It can't do "HD" at a proper 60fps without interlacing the video
A lot of video is interlaced so it won't make much difference with that either.

Newer source material that is HD or UHD with progressive scan will suffer degradation on Blu-ray.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
ExDilbert said:
Most film is 24fps so it makes little difference for that content.
TV content is typically shot at much higher frame rates, and also a pretty high resolution. For example, House of Cards is apparently shot using a RED EPIC DRAGON (which, apparently, doesn't support lower case), at "6k" resolution, at 120fps.

My understanding is that RED cameras are very popular with creators, and I imagine content producers would want to make master versions of their content in as high resolution and frame rate as possible.

Looking at the few places that still sell plastic discs, it seems to me that there are more "TV content hours" worth of content vs movie content.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
I appreciate that modern films and high end TV features will be shot at much higher resolution. It's quite evident, even at standard HD resolutions, that House of Cards benefits from much higher production values than most TV content. There is at least one TV series on now that looks like it was shout in wide screen SD, maybe on purpose. I was just pointing out that a lot of material will not suffer any degradation on BD. It's obvious that the opposite is true and I also pointed that out.

The last I heard, some movie theaters were using 1920x1080p for digital projection. I'm sure that has been improved upon for many venues but there's still no guarantee that a movie theater will be any better than a BD. In the end, costs and legacy considerations will guarantee that new, high end technology will be held back for some time.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
24fps is a "feature" for people who want to preserve the look of film.
Well, low-quality film. The reason why 24fps was selected was because back in the day, film was expensive. 24fps is where the frame rate just barely crossed over from "unbearable" to "bearable".

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
^^^^
Even at that it was necessary to run the shutter at 48 f/s, so that each frame was projected twice. However, video at a rate that matches the source tends to look better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wayne is absolutely correct. Really pushing people to use pirated contents. Closely like the music industry. And now, see the result, the music industry has gone to the wrong people. And now their very very few good artist left in Music

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I wouldn't go that far. I'd say that it's just pushing people to use streaming services. Not everyone will respond by using bittorrent, many will just be happy with Netflix.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Back for my bi-annual rant. Six versions later and my copy of PDVD16 will not play new blu-rays. I've had an epiphany, if you will. Netflix, et.al. are subscription services that stream content to my HTPC. CyberLink is a subscription service that streams pre-crippled DRM-laden players for my Blu-ray.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
I've had 3 software BD players "expire." They just discontinued supporting or selling them only a year after selling me the latest upgrade. The third was from a company that simply went out of business. They shortly after that changed names and started selling the (obviously) identical product at a higher price as a new product. It wouldn't have been so bad but I had a supposedly lifetime license. Life of the company I guess. I'm in a similar situation with some highly protected audio discs that require expensive players with limited availability. (My disc player stopped working.) As a result, I will never again purchase a DRM copy protected product of any kind.

Streaming is an exception but even there I am extremely leery as a lot of streaming services do not work well and have onerous restrictions on playback of content. I've cancelled streaming services that didn't work well and refuse to use services that do things like disable player controls or don't work with certain browsers or privacy tools. They make the claim it's to prevent piracy but it's ineffective at that. All it does is penalize paying customers who just want to enjoy a TV show or movie. I spent a hour today trying to watch the last ten minutes of a show I missed. I couldn't do it due to lousy DRM restrictions that prevented FF to the last 10 minutes.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I had the same problem with some special features. I couldn't FF, skip or use the scrub bar. So I was forced to play from the beginning just to watch the last half.

Another gripe. I hate the 4-5 piracy warnings but can tolerate them on a movie I might watch every few years. But on a season of TV shows? That is every night for 13-25 nights!

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Some software players for the PC will skip unwanted warnings and ads. The studios don't like such players and claim they are illegal but the studios basically brought it on themselves by unduly penalizing people who watch their products legally.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I'm back for my bi-annual rant. I can hardly believe I am still finding things to hate about Blu-ray. I tried to watch American Horror Story: Freak Show. The disc was pristine but still skipped, stuttered and hung. I remember Blockbuster DVDs that looked like bar room coasters working flawlessly.

The Atmos soundtrack on Birds of Prey decoded with pops and dropouts on a brand new Sony Bravia X900F and Vizio SB3651 5.1 Soundbar. Thank goodness they included a Dolby 5.1 soundtrack. Maybe I need to start a Disappointed by Dolby Labs thread. I hate those greedy companies worse than the HDMI and BD consortiums. They've ruined home theatre.

Slowly liquidating my BD collection after watching the movie in 4K HDR on Netflix or Prime.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
I've always hated Dolby's compression schemes and that date back 50 years. DTS is much better but never received wide industry support. I've hated the way DVDs were implemented as well and Blu-ray pretty much doubles down on all the bad things about DVD. It's no surprise that streaming companies like Netflix are kicking the studios' asses. In addition to making viewing more accessible and more convenient, they've eliminated most of the inane copy protection schemes forced on consumers by the studios. It's been demonstrated that copy protection schemes used on DVD and Blu-ray discs don't protect the contents anyway, it just creates an inferior product.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Panasonic DPUB820K 4K player, this is a great player if it likes your disks. Old dvds play good. Some blurays with no scratches skip, some dvds with no scratches skip.
Its come to the point where i never no what kind of playback experience im going to get from this 1.5 year old player.
Some disks play back perfectly.

Before this i had a sony 4k player when 4k first came out , had wifi issues with it, and sony pulled the appstore feature from the player, had a extended warranty took it back and got an apple tv.

Does any company still make good players anymore ?
How good is LG 4K players ?

41 - 60 of 61 Posts