Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to feed 24 standard receivers in a rack via 2 12 way multiswitches, and provide at least 8 HD ports for HD receivers within 200 feet of the rack.

I am familiar with DPP, but wondering if I can bring the 2 cables in from a dp LNB, run them through a 3 way HD (all ports powering) splitter, and feed 2 feeds to each multiswitch, and 2 to a dp34 switch. Will there be any conflicts with this scenario?

Is there a better way to do this?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I would use legacy (Just because I have it).

I did a similar thing recently and used 4 x rack Mounted Switch's, 3 fed from 91 and 1 fed from 82.

For SD Receivers I just fed from the 2 x Rack Mounted (91) Switch's.
For HD Receivers I took a feed from the 3rd, 91 Switch and a feed from the 82 Switch, through an SW21.

Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does make good sense, but if I need to feed 8 HD receivers, that makes a lot of sw21 switches to hide somewhere. ;)

Do you think standard 12 way multiswitches are compatible with a dp34 switch, if I fed 2 cables from a dp34 to each multiswitch? All I need out of these 12 ways is sat 91.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
No you will not be able to use DP34's with Legacy LNBF's and Switch's.

I hung the SW21's on the Rack, with just 3" Jumpers to the Rack Mounted Switch's, worked out great.

EDIT:

You could also use 2 x SW44's for your 8 HD Receivers. Feed the SW44's with 91 from the 12 Ways and use a 4 way switch to feed the 82 signals to the SW44's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good idea. I won't have any spare ports on the 12 ways, but I could use an 8 way to feed both the switches and both of the 4x8 ways.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
both of the 4x8 ways.
Not sure what you mean by this bit, to my knowledge I have yet to see a 4x8 work for Bell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am mistaken. I meant 2 4x4 switches (sw44) fed by 4 2 way splitters. A little ungainly, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to feed this many receivers with Bell.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I almost always feed SW44's with 2 x 4's, much more stable and I have dozens od 2 x 4's and SW44's so I use them.....lol

Just about to start building a 56 Channel Head End myself, so that will keep me amused for a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Who you building that for? Do you use mini-coax in the racks? I sure do love that cable. Easy to make the rack look neat and tidy.

By the way, I just sent an inquiry to Holland tonight, but I fired up a rack today that I put together in my garage, and I have about 6 blank channels out of 24. I have a carrier on all channels, video out of the bell receiver is good, replaced the video cable from receiver to mod, and nothing helps. Did a reboot of the receivers, checked video modulation, and the only buttons on the mod seems to be a "preemphasis on or off switch". It has me baffled. Any suggestions? These are Holland mini-mods.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I hate Mini anything, I use RG6 for cabling and full size Rack mounted Modulators.

I still get at least 1 dead Mod with each 48+ Channel Head End.

I much prefer Pico Macom Mods but it depends on the Customer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, Pinza. I'm with you on the 'mini anything". All the problems I was having with the 6 channels was my own doing. Turned out to be connectors on this mini cable in every case. I was prepping these with a knife because I didn't like the prep tool supplied, and thought I was doing a good job. Seems that the RF connectors are coming up with an open, and the RCA connectors are coming up shorted. So, about 10% of the connectors I installed were bad.

That's pretty poor performance for an old cable guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts