Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a thread (sticky) where one can request new or enhancements on current features.
I would like the "Show Track" in Music to have a time option where it fades out after a few moments. Or be black and show only when a key is pressed (enter?).
Or, get really fancy and have an option to record the show that is currently being advertised. So, if one is watching a show, a commercial comes on, if it is flogging an upcoming show, push a button to record it.
Or, have a picture in picture ability. Seems the technology is almost there anyway. So, watching a show you can have a small thumbnail of some other channel running in the corner and be able to toggle back and forth.
Or, have the menu items remember the frequently used options and sort accordingly. So, I do not have to scroll to select "Automatically tune to this channel", if it is the most used of that group.

I am sure others have ideas as well and perhaps... Shaw Direct is watching
Ralph

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You can adjust the time it takes before the screen saver comes on when viewing track info. Press guide, then options, scroll to screen saver and adjust it to a shorter time. The default setting is 30 min.

As far as scheduling a recording from a promo, each promo would have to have some type of flag embedded into it by the broadcaster that would then need to be recognizable by the PVR. This would be an incredible amount of work for all parties involved. This is why we have search features.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The screen saver option would be acceptable if one was able to add their own.. A Shaw logo in my face is not my idea of a cool screen saver.
So imbed a flag... there already is some sort of code, after all is that not what the search feature looks for.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No, search just looks for the title of the program from the guide info. What you are suggesting is the ability to schedule recordings from a promo for a particular program. The problem is that the PVR doesn't "know" when a program has gone to commercial, thus it is unable to read the contents of the commercial if it doesn't even know a commercial is on. If it did know when commercials were on, there would need to be some type of flag or indicator inserted by the broadcaster. This would require a complete reworking of the PVR.

I don't really get the issues with the screen saver. Yes, they threw it together in 30 seconds, but it does its job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Years ago, I was able to program my VCR to record based only on a number. At that time it seemed programs were identified with a number and that was what triggered the record event. It seemed to work reasonably well and one found the numbers of those programs in the TV guide... All now obsolete no doubt.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Embedding a flag in a promo for a DVR to respond to does work, TiVo responds to that. If a promo with the data in it comes up, you get a "Press Thumbs Up to record" screen, where you can press that button to take you to a menu to choose to record it.

Shaw would have to license that though, and get more broadcasters on board. The transmitted code is likely a program ID, time, and channel ID. So far, I have seen it only on Fox and CBS.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Wow, Tivo really is years ahead of everybody else. I guess this is something we could se ein the future, but it would likely be a lot of work just to get boradcasters to agree and all use the same standard.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If there is a chance anyone is listening, why on earth has Shaw not pursued enabling discrete power commands in their GI/Next Level/Motorola IRD's?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Everyone,

We appreciate the requests - we monitor this thread (and the forums in general) frequently.

We work to get as much as we can into each release without jeopardizing the existing timelines/roadmaps or higher priority items.

Thanks!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
why on earth has Shaw not pursued enabling discrete power commands in their GI/Next Level/Motorola IRD's?
Lack of competition. Look at the rest of the CE industry. Wave after wave of innovation every year. Cable set top box functionality is virtually unchanged in the last 7 or 8 years.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this lack of competition due to the CRTC? Seems like they have a captive audience and very little incentive to improve anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts