Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'd like to know if theres a way to setup the 2nd line from my ATA for fax purposes? Now I know yes its possible but I only have one phone number, so I'm wondering if voip.ms might have something like virtual did number or something so I could assign that number for faxing only. I dont know if I'm making myself clear on what I'm saying but if anyone has an idea of what I'm talking about, fire away your suggestions..

·
Registered
594 Posts
So i'd like to know if theres a way to setup the 2nd line from my ATA for fax purposes? Now I know yes its possible but I only have one phone number, so I'm wondering if voip.ms might have something like virtual did number or something so I could assign that number for faxing only. I dont know if I'm making myself clear on what I'm saying but if anyone has an idea of what I'm talking about, fire away your suggestions..
Just create a sub account on voip.ms. Enter the credentials for the 2nd port of the ATA.

This will work well for sending faxes. Though if you would to receive faxes, then you may want to setup a 2nd DID and assign it to the sub account created above.

djino

·
Registered
877 Posts
So i'd like to know if theres a way to setup the 2nd line from my ATA for fax purposes?
It is theoretically possible to do what you want (just order a second DID and route it to a sub-account as djino said) however it will be slow and unreliable. Here's why: residential-grade and even small business internet connections all have jitter, that is, variation in the time it takes packets to arrive at their destination. Occasionally, a voice packet will arrive out of order. This is no problem for a telephone conversation because Packet Loss Concealment can deal with a small amount of dropped packets, and during a voice call, VoIP will appear to work perfectly. However, trying to approximate a fax signal based on voice patterns doesn't always work.

Here are some suggestions to maximize success. (I don't recommend this VoIP provider, but their advice in this case is good.) http://www.future-nine.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=5&artlang=en

If you send a couple of faxes a month and you're okay with calling the other end to see if they received it (your fax saying "Success" if ECM is disabled means nothing) then it will probably be sufficient.

If it doesn't work for you, you should consider Callcentric, because Callcentric supports T.38 and it will work with much greater reliability. For the highest reliability, get a toll-free DID, not a local one, since toll-free DIDs are delivered via TDM. You also need an ATA that supports T.38 but I seem to remember you have a SPA2102, so that's fine.

m.

·
Registered
33 Posts
12. Set FXS Port Input Gain and FXS Port Output Gain to -3.
Mango, this point from the above link conflicts with your recommended settings in your signature link (you recommend -1 and -11) which is presumably optimal for voice. But the linksys ATAs do not allow one to set the input/output gain to be set per line - this setting applies to both line 1 and line 2.

For an ATA with both a phone (line 1) and fax (line 2) attached, can you shed some light on the ideal input/output gain settings?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm afraid I do not know why the levels must be different in different situations and I would be delighted to find out if anyone can elighten us. I have people that tell me that -11 is far too low, but when I tried the default settings it was so loud as to cause echo. I'm thinking of removing that recommendation since it doesn't seem particularly necessary, or perhaps making a note that says it should only be adjusted if you are having problems.

If you get the chance to try both, I would be interested to know if either one performs better with regards to faxing.

FWIW, I have successfully sent faxes with -1 and -11.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it possible that optimal input/output gains depend on some other factors that vary by user? i.e., phone/fax hardware?

I changed the input/output gains to your recommended settings and when I spoke to a person at that locatin last night they complained that I was too quiet. It made me wonder if the gains were too low.

Up until now the ATA in question has had pretty good success (but definitely not 100%) with faxing using voip.ms with the default ATA configuration. I was hoping for even better success after tweaking the ATA config. I'll update after I more faxing is done with the new settings.

On a side note, I noticed last night that T.38 fax support is no longer listed on voip.ms' "feature requests" page. I swear that previously it was listed under "in development/testing" or maybe "accepted/planned for development". Now all that is listed is "virtual fax (web fax)". Does anyone else remember T.38 being on voip.ms' list?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fax via VoIP

Just make sure you set to use G711 U-Law on your ATA and in account settings.

This should help pass fax.

Sincerely,

Michael
CampusCom

·
Registered
497 Posts
*99 disables the jitter buffer it helps. so just dial *99 than fax number. also on your fax machine. slow baud rate to 7200 or 9600 again helps.

·
Registered
497 Posts
im using Voip.ms. I wanted one number for my home, and one for a fax. I am using a Dlink ata. When you create a sub account example sub account 24. if your main account is xxxx. you sub looks like this xxxx_24. THe Dlink can not read the "_".
I had to make a second main account with a different email addy.

now everything works perfect.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well just revisiting here, saw this post is still active, thanks for the tips, sending and receiving faxes works flawless for me. it would be nice for voip.ms to have like virtual did's that are associated to my main did but gives that second number to fax on. then again i only send\receive some 8 to 10 faxes a year, it would just be nice. not worth $24\year for having a dedicated line for fax.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Grab on of their DIDs that is only .99 per month. Then your fax is only 12$ per year.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think they are avail in edmonton

·
Registered
497 Posts
They have 1.99 numbers for Edmonton. SO set up properly you could have an Edmonton fax number for 1.99 per month.

You could also pick a tolfree number for 1.49 per month and 3 cents a minute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts