Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the fastest ISP in Winnipeg, other than MTS/Shaw. I am looking at VOI Networks, and they seem to have residential plans, with symmetrical internet. Also they are the fastest ISP on speedtest.net in Manitoba. Is there anyone else that I should know of?

·
Registered
24 Posts
VOI Networks' speed is nuts, that upload and bandwidth cap is nice for the price. It seems to be DSL so it gives me some concern but I would try them as they promise low latency and they seem different than your average poor DSL ISP. From experience I have to say Shaw still wins with speed AND latency, MTS.. just stay far far away from.

Hell after I looked at VOI Networks' plans I looked at my bank account balance:rolleyes:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Out of pure curiosity, does that mean they lease lines (or whatever it's called) from MTS then? I can't see any other way to service residential customers other than Shaw or MTS lines.

:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Possible they lease lines from both companies, going by the speeds and prices it looks like its FTTP but yet they said it uses phone lines, perhaps using Shaw's (or even their own fiber line?) line to your building then changes to phone wires to the modem. I will find out more tomorrow as I am definately phoning them for info.

It can't just be all MTS' line I just don't see how their lines (even the DSLAMs) can cope with those speeds, especially on the upstream.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also interested in their service but I just can't get ahold of them!
I called and sent email none of which were replied to. I really don't feel like driving to their office on portage

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm also interested in their service but I just can't get ahold of them!
I called and sent email none of which were replied to. I really don't feel like driving to their office on portage
I have tried the same thing too, the person on the phone only takes a message, and no email reply. Where are they?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
What speeds are they offering? From the information I have, the fastest residential internet speeds in Winnipeg are as follows:

Shaw Nitro (100/5) for $149 (bundled rate)
MTS Lightning Bolt at 32/2 $84 (requires MTS TV, bandwidth shared with TV)
MTS Lightning Super Max 25/2 $99 (requires MTS TV)
Shaw Warp at 25/2 $99 (bundled rate)

The only other residential providers I'm aware of, are the cell phone companies (through the phone or mobile internet stick) ; however, their speeds are much lower than 25 Mbps down, and I've never heard of VOI Networks

·
Super Moderator
18,524 Posts
Since tux posted the info above, I thought I'd make a couple of corrections.

MTS Lightning Super Max does not require you to order MTS TV. You have to be "eligible for the MTS Ultimate TV". In other words it runs on the same VDSL2/fiber-optic infrastructure as Ultimate TV.

Following are the correct prices:

Shaw Nitro 100/5 $157.95 ($149 bundled)
MTS Lightning Bolt 32/2 $84.95 (bandwidth shared with MTS TV)
MTS Lightning Super Max 25/2 $99.95
Shaw Warp 25/2 $104.95 ($96 bundled)

MTS bundle discounts start at $10/month.

re: VOI Networks. It looks like they only provide service to a few of the larger downtown apartment buildings. If they provide service to your building they have probably already contacted you. If you have never heard from them you are probably not eligible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've tried calling Voi Networks several times only to have my call redirected to some other call center. Does anyone have a direct number to a sales rep? I just want to know if they offer service in my area.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Look for the Info at this page maybe:

http://www.voinetworks.ca/contact.html

Here are their services / plans, by the way:

http://www.voinetworks.ca/services.html

Not sure how recent is that info there.. - on the bottom of the page there it says:

"Copyright © 2006 VOI Networks INC."

Which doesn't mean of course that those plans' prices are for 2006
So...I e-mailed them yesterday...here is their (very quick) response:

Hi XXXX,

We provide business service throughout Winnipeg.

Residential is limited to specific condos and apartments.

Thanks,
Richard Jones
Voi Networks Inc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts