Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows Cable or DSL ? Which one is better internet solution.
As far as Connection speed concern from page to page.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Cable technology supports approximately 30 Mbps of bandwidth, whereas most forms of DSL cannot reach 10 Mbps.

Some DSL fans will suggest that, as cable nodes are shared amongst neighbours, the available speed to an individual subscriber will slow down during busy periods. This is true to an extent but that has never been an issue for me. Using Speedtest, my peak download speeds are north of 30Mbps and my average is about 20Mbps. I have never seen it as slow as 10Mbps. (A friend on DSL gets a constant 3.5Mbps!!)

Ultimately, it will depend on the "packages" available from your providers.

Here are come relative comparative test results over a week. You can see that the DSL speed is constant and the cable speed varies. But which would you rather have?

Here are my Speedtest results (Shaw Cable):

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cogeco offers up to 50Mbps for $100/mth, while Bell has offers up to 25Mbps for $55. For comparison, Cogeco's Ultra 30 which offers 30Mbps is $59. I'm using Cogeco's Ultra 30 and get 30Mbps+ about 95% of the time.

Calling Bell about their Fibre 25 (25Mbps) they claim that you have to have a fibre line to your home for it to be available to you.

In my experience, I've had cable internet go down now and then due to accidents at switching stations and cut lines. A neighbour has had their DSL line go down for roughly the same reasons and claims to get consistent speeds at their 6Mbps plan.

Latency and lag online gamewise has the same issues as pretty much any internet provider. Choose servers closer to you for less hops.

Never had an issue with my speed diminishing during peak hours and the quality of my signal is good. I've installed good quality connectors throughout my home and use good quality coax from where the cable enters the home to my cable modem.

Below is the results from speedtest.net at 4:38pm on Sunday March 13th.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for reply, above speed is excellent. I am using cable right now and thinking to switch with bell DSL but not sure yet.

Above is true, when everyone on your neighborhood sign on, your cable speed decrease

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
..when everyone on your neighborhood sign on, your cable speed decrease
It may be true for some smaller providers or in certain areas and it was somewhat true 10 years ago. Mostly it's not the case any more. Most cable providers get you the download and upload rates you pay for, as has been discussed often on this forum. They monitor the speed on the node and adjust customers if necessary (by adding nodes I assume). If your provider offers 50+Mbps, it's also very easy to get any of the lower tier rates, since the speed is set at the modem.

I don't know if it's the case on Cogeco, however, on Rogers we even have Speedboost, which provides a rate higher than you pay for for a short while for surfing (the longer term download rates goes back down to your "paid for" rate. For example, whenever I go to any of the test sites, I get a (short term) download speed of say 20+ Mbps, even though I'm paying for 10.

If you're mostly interested in internet surfing from page to page, then the computer and chosen browser is actually more important once you get to say 10 Mbps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Guys, the "speed" of your connection depends entirely on what package you are paying for. As much as I agree that cable is usually quicker than DSL, it still depends on the package. Cable "lite" as we all know can be quite slow, somewhere around 3-5 megabits/sec, and now Bell is offering 'Fibe' service in some areas where DSL can get up to something like 30 megabits/sec.

On average though, dollar for dollar you usually DO get more for your money out of cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts